Knocking under driver floorboard - 2019 Honda Insight Forum

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Knocking under driver floorboard

Does anyone notice a weird knocking sound coming from under the front driver side floor board when accelerating and or breaking? It doesn’t happen all the time but will randomly do it at times. I am not sure what it is, nor what causes it. Any insight into this problem?
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

My EX runs pretty quiet/silent, without any knocking noise. I've often driven the car without the radio on, to get a feel for what the car 'normally' sounds like. There is a slight 'whirring' sound I hear from the electrical components, but not much else.

Some questions: How loud are the sounds you hear (e.g. faint vs obvious/noticeable)? Do you feel any vibrations when the sound occurs? Does it happen when both the gas engine and electric motor run, or just when one or the other runs? Does the sound happen when the car is cold, or after it has warmed up?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:23 PM

Garage
Have you taken a look under the car? My wife mentioned a noise from her car once (not the insight) and there was a small branch hung up under it.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Touring
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My wife has a knack for running over plastic bags and getting them stuck under her car. There is nothing under the floorboard that should knock unless something external got stuck there. Is the sound timing going along with wheel rotation?

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
I noticed during the first 3000 miles the brakes made some noise when I hit the brakes in reverse at times. It was a definite knocking noise. Since then it doesn’t make that noise anymore.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

I personally think they are noticeable and well more felt than heard. Idk how to explain it but the best way I can is it feels like something is rolling under my seat and hitting the back of my foot. Obviously I’ve checked and there is nothing loose under my seat that would roll and I looked under the car and didn’t notice anything caught up.
I am not sure exactly which one I am in when it happens, I believe it’s the gas engine side more than the electric side. And it mostly happens when the engine is warm. It usually doesn’t happen when I first start driving but after a bit it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
My EX runs pretty quiet/silent, without any knocking noise. I've often driven the car without the radio on, to get a feel for what the car 'normally' sounds like. There is a slight 'whirring' sound I hear from the electrical components, but not much else.

Some questions: How loud are the sounds you hear (e.g. faint vs obvious/noticeable)? Do you feel any vibrations when the sound occurs? Does it happen when both the gas engine and electric motor run, or just when one or the other runs? Does the sound happen when the car is cold, or after it has warmed up?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller461 View Post
I personally think they are noticeable and well more felt than heard. Idk how to explain it but the best way I can is it feels like something is rolling under my seat and hitting the back of my foot. Obviously I’ve checked and there is nothing loose under my seat that would roll and I looked under the car and didn’t notice anything caught up.

I am not sure exactly which one I am in when it happens, I believe it’s the gas engine side more than the electric side. And it mostly happens when the engine is warm. It usually doesn’t happen when I first start driving but after a bit it will.
On older cars, I'd think what you're describing could be worn CV joint/shaft, steering issue, suspension issue, or exhaust system heat shield (or maybe even a motor mount/bearing?). BUT it's hard to make the leap that your brand new car would have these issues already. You're covered by Honda's new car warranty and I think you should bring it in if you don't find obvious physical issues that were already suggested. However, you'd get better assistance and resolution from Honda if you can narrow down the type of issue and conditions under which they occur.

Since the issue as intermittent, it might help Honda diagnose if you can video the issue and/or document conditions when it occurs. If personal video doesn't work, suspension and alignment mechanics can use a set of microphones connected to headphones, where the microphones can be moved to suspect points and driven around while listening to zero in on the source of the noise. Or perhaps your Honda dealer would have something like this.

It might also help the troubleshooting to narrow down the engine condition under which the issue occurs. To determine whether you're in hybrid, electric, or gas (direct drive) mode, try having the "Power Flow Monitor" up on the infotainment OR on the drivers info interface. (It's available to view in both places.) Alternately, try some less-precise indirect estimators:
- if you see the green "EV" indicator in the lower left corner when the noise occurs, you're in electric mode
- if you see the dial on the left 'power/charge' circular indicator running in the 'gray' areas, you're in gas (direct drive) mode
- if you don't see the "EV" indicator and are running in the blue or green part of the 'power/charge' indicator, you're likely in hybrid mode (though it could also be in this condition for gas-only mode... thus the cross-reference suggestion to power flow monitor)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power flow.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1840   Click image for larger version

Name:	power flow2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1842  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Garage
I know what you're talking about!! It's nothing to worry about. Sometimes when the engine comes online - there may be a little kick back while starting.. It is at times noticeable, but nothing to worry about at all.. You will notice it as well when you are in park and the car has rolled into the locked position and you are idling.. When the engine comes on in this configuration - it will shake the whole car slightly. I really wouldn't worry too much about it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 PM

Yes, I hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller461 View Post
Does anyone notice a weird knocking sound coming from under the front driver side floor board when accelerating and or breaking? It doesn’t happen all the time but will randomly do it at times. I am not sure what it is, nor what causes it. Any insight into this problem?
Yes, I heard it couple of times in the past, but now I can repeat the sound everytime.
Move back or forward 6 inches or so and step on the brake just enough so that car rocks.
The video sound is from outside so it sounds more metallic, but from the inside of the car, it's more of hollow knocking sound. I have no idea where the sound is coming from and I feel I don't need to (or should not) do this too many times.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Pin View Post
Yes, I heard it couple of times in the past, but now I can repeat the sound everytime.
Move back or forward 6 inches or so and step on the brake just enough so that car rocks.
The video sound is from outside so it sounds more metallic, but from the inside of the car, it's more of hollow knocking sound. I have no idea where the sound is coming from and I feel I don't need to (or should not) do this too many times.

https://youtu.be/TbP_u5qC6G0
Vid comes up as unavailable. Permissions?

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page