Too Much Oil From Factory On Brand New 2019 Insight - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Too Much Oil From Factory On Brand New 2019 Insight

Hello Everyone,

As the title suggests, I recently got a brand new 2019 Honda Insight and I've already put 2,700 miles on it in just over a month of ownership. Today I decided to check the oil level in order to get a baseline so that I can continually check and make sure it's not burning oil. To my surprise, the oil was filled about a half an inch (maybe even a bit more, but no more than 3/4 an inch) over the max fill mark. In fact, the oil was just passed the orange plastic and on the metal above it. To be clear, I checked twice, once cold, and once 15 minutes after driving. I wiped down the entire dipstick first, re-inserted, and checked the level. I was on an even surface. In doing a little research, I found that the engines come from the factory filled with oil, so it wasn't the dealership's fault.

My questions: Is this normal? Is anyone else's like this as well? Is this just an out-of-the-factory quirk or maybe part of the break-in process? Should I have the excess oil drained? Finally, would any damage have been done driving like this for almost 3,000 miles?

Thank you to everyone in advance for the help!
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Bring to dealer to 'officially' report the overfill and have them correct/drain... even if you could drain it yourself.

Oil (and other liquids) can be pressurized but not compressed. The oil pump uses this 'physics' to pressurize oil and spray it through small holes in the bearings where the crankshaft and camshafts ride, without direct contact to the bearings.

Overfilled oil moves toward the crankshaft, and the oil can get mixed with air as the crankshaft rotates at high speed. The 'foamy' oil is a poor lubricant because it can't be distributed as effectively as liquid, and serious damage could result.

The good news is:
- The gas engine doesn't run full time in the Insight, so you haven't put 2700 miles of direct use on the engine while overfilled with oil.
- Hondas have reported 'extra oil' in models experiencing oil dilution from turbo direct injection... but that should NOT apply to the Insight, since it's port-injected. You'd also 'smell' gas in the oil, if it were the source of extra volume in the oil reservoir.
Roquen22 likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
Bring to dealer to 'officially' report the overfill and have them correct/drain... even if you could drain it yourself.

Oil (and other liquids) can be pressurized but not compressed. The oil pump uses this 'physics' to pressurize oil and spray it through small holes in the bearings where the crankshaft and camshafts ride, without direct contact to the bearings.

Overfilled oil moves toward the crankshaft, and the oil can get mixed with air as the crankshaft rotates at high speed. The 'foamy' oil is a poor lubricant because it can't be distributed as effectively as liquid, and serious damage could result.

The good news is:
- The gas engine doesn't run full time in the Insight, so you haven't put 2700 miles of direct use on the engine while overfilled with oil.
- Hondas have reported 'extra oil' in models experiencing oil dilution from turbo direct injection... but that should NOT apply to the Insight, since it's port-injected. You'd also 'smell' gas in the oil, if it were the source of extra volume in the oil reservoir.
Thank you for all the information! I'll certainly bring it in to the dealer as you suggested. It's crazy that this can happen out of the factory like this!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
-Snip-
Update: I brought it to the dealership today. The tech looked at everything and said that it was overfilled, but he didn't believe it was by enough to cause any damage to the engine. He said that I had two options: either leave it in as is, or do a full oil change. I asked if they could simply drain the excess and they said it was too difficult to do so because the flow is too strong. I then asked if they could siphon it out through the dipstick hole, and they said "absolutely not," and went on to say that they didn't have any way to do that. So, I opted to have them do the full oil change. I wasn't sure if this was the right choice because I know the starting oil has extra additives from Honda that help to coat the engine better during the break-in period.

So, I asked them to measure the amount drained so that I had a reference point. When everything was done (2 1/2 hours total by the way between waiting WITH an appointment and having the actual work done), they forgot to actually measure it, but the tech said that he'd estimate between 4-5 quarts were drained and that I "probably had about an extra quart in there." I asked if there was any damage to the engine, and he said, "I didn't see anything that stood out." I'm not actually sure that he checked anything to be honest... But anyway, the paperwork I got does state that the engine was overfilled, which they assured me would be enough for a warranty claim should any issues arise.

So, do you think I made the right choice in having them do a full oil change, sacrificing the "special factory oil?" I'm definitely glad to have the paperwork stating that it was overfilled, though.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquen22 View Post
Update: I brought it to the dealership today. The tech looked at everything and said that it was overfilled, but he didn't believe it was by enough to cause any damage to the engine. He said that I had two options: either leave it in as is, or do a full oil change. I asked if they could simply drain the excess and they said it was too difficult to do so because the flow is too strong. I then asked if they could siphon it out through the dipstick hole, and they said "absolutely not," and went on to say that they didn't have any way to do that. So, I opted to have them do the full oil change. I wasn't sure if this was the right choice because I know the starting oil has extra additives from Honda that help to coat the engine better during the break-in period.

So, I asked them to measure the amount drained so that I had a reference point. When everything was done (2 1/2 hours total by the way between waiting WITH an appointment and having the actual work done), they forgot to actually measure it, but the tech said that he'd estimate between 4-5 quarts were drained and that I "probably had about an extra quart in there." I asked if there was any damage to the engine, and he said, "I didn't see anything that stood out." I'm not actually sure that he checked anything to be honest... But anyway, the paperwork I got does state that the engine was overfilled, which they assured me would be enough for a warranty claim should any issues arise.

So, do you think I made the right choice in having them do a full oil change, sacrificing the "special factory oil?" I'm definitely glad to have the paperwork stating that it was overfilled, though.
I would had done the same because the factory oil will do you no good if it can't lubricate your engine properly due to the overfill. I'm pretty sure you can do without the factory oil(otherwise they would sell it as an emergency replacement at the dealership). Honda must know that certain cars sit on the dealership lot for more than a year and would have the factory oil immediately replaced anyways just like a few Insight owners here.

Based on discussions here in another thread we believe this is the factory oil Honda use that contains extra moly if you ever want to try it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Edit: You might want to contact Honda corporate to get a case number for your record. https://owners.honda.com/help/customer-relations
Roquen22 likes this.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Last edited by andrew28; 09-09-2019 at 04:46 PM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
I would had done the same because the factory oil will do you no good if it can't lubricate your engine properly due to the overfill. I'm pretty sure you can do without the factory oil(otherwise they would sell it as an emergency replacement at the dealership). Honda must know that certain cars sit on the dealership lot for more than a year and would have the factory oil immediately replaced anyways just like a few Insight owners here.

Based on discussions here in another thread we believe this is the factory oil Honda use that contains extra moly if you ever want to try it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Edit: You might want to contact Honda corporate to get a case number for your record. https://owners.honda.com/help/customer-relations
Thank you for putting my mind at ease! I think I will try that oil for my next change, which I'll be doing myself.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
There are plenty of resources (including Edmunds) who still recommend a first oil change at ~3000 miles, to remove/diminish the amount of metal in the oil from the break-in process... and your within that range - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/1440-post6.html

Without option to partially drain, I would have done the full replacement as well.
Roquen22 likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Update 2, unfortunately: Sooooo, I just got home and I finally had time to check the work done, and it turns out it is overfilled AGAIN, by about the same amount. I'm also now thinking that the dealership was the one who overfilled it to begin with because I checked the manufacture date, and it was October 2018, and I bought it at the very end of July, so it was sitting essentially for 10 months, so I'd wager they changed the oil!

They additionally put a small dent into the rear quarter-panel on the passenger side somehow! I called them up to let them know of both issues and they want me to come back again tomorrow to fix everything. They also want to look at the entrance cameras with me to make sure the damage to the rear quarter-panel wasn't there before-hand.

I don't know what to do now. I really don't trust this dealership anymore (Honda of Babylon, NY, if anyone is interested), but one of the incentives I got was a free year of service for the car, only redeemable there. So I feel like I'm stuck.

Here's some pictures of the dipstick, showing the level. Again, the dipstick was wiped down thoroughly first and then measured, it was a level surface, and it was done 30 minutes post-driving (still warm). How much over do you guys think this is? In the second picture if you look close you can see the sheen of the oil on the metal just above the orange (no flash was used in this picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190909_190646.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	3552   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190909_190628.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	3554  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Update 2, unfortunately: Sooooo, I just got home and I finally had time to check the work done, and it turns out it is overfilled AGAIN, by about the same amount. I'm also now thinking that the dealership was the one who overfilled it to begin with because I checked the manufacture date, and it was October 2018, and I bought it at the very end of July, so it was sitting essentially for 10 months, so I'd wager they changed the oil!

They additionally put a small dent into the rear quarter-panel on the passenger side somehow! I called them up to let them know of both issues and they want me to come back again tomorrow to fix everything. They also want to look at the entrance cameras with me to make sure the damage to the rear quarter-panel wasn't there before-hand.

I don't know what to do now. I really don't trust this dealership anymore (Honda of Babylon, NY, if anyone is interested), but one of the incentives I got was a free year of service for the car, only redeemable there. So I feel like I'm stuck.

Here's some pictures of the dipstick, showing the level. Again, the dipstick was wiped down thoroughly first and then measured, it was a level surface, and it was done 30 minutes post-driving (still warm). How much over do you guys think this is? In the second picture if you look close you can see the sheen of the oil on the metal just above the orange (no flash was used in this picture).

The yelp and google parts/service reviews for that dealership seems pretty bad, too. It's possible that the dealership overfilled because you're not the first Insight owner here to report it. They probably assumed it's 4 quarts similar to the Civic instead of 3.5 quarts for the Insight.

Roquen22 likes this.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow, you're probably right that the dealer topped it off originally, especially if it's overfilled once again... and others in forum haven't had this happen twice (let alone once).

The Insight is newer, and there was prior discussion thread below that multiple dealers quoted 4 quarts as the oil volume for the Insight (rather than 3.5 qt with filter change / 3.3 qt without filter change). - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/15...-change-2.html

The Accord Hybrid takes 3.7 qt oil without filter change / 4.0 qt with filter change, and perhaps the dealer is generalizing this to all other hybrids. Frankly, the specs for Clarity oil change (3.5 qt with / 3.3 qt without) are identical to the Insight's. Dealers need to think of (or be reminded (?) that) the Insight's engine size (1.5L) is more like the Clarity (1.5L) than the Accord Hybrid (2.0L).
Roquen22 likes this.

Last edited by insightfully; 09-09-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page