Oil Change - DIY Question - Page 3 - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 5Likes

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 06:53 AM

2 questions for you as I'm about to buy supplies for my 1st oil change...

1) What oil did you use?
2) What oil filter does the insight take?
3) What brand of ceramic coat did you use? Did you diy that or have a shop do it?

Thanks!!
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttelz View Post
2 questions for you as I'm about to buy supplies for my 1st oil change...
1) What oil did you use?
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...d-fuel-economy (5-qt jug available at Walmart)

Was using K&N PS-1010, but I've switched to genuine Honda 15400-PLM-A02 since I found a deal online on a lot of 6 a month or two ago.

3) What brand of ceramic coat did you use? Did you diy that or have a shop do it?
9HMR-FIX. Bought online (forgot where). I did the application myself in September of last year. I garage my car at home and park under cover at work, so the coating hasn't really been abused. Specs say I'd need to reapply every 6 months. So far, the initial coat is still going strong.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
1) What oil did you use?
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...d-fuel-economy (5-qt jug available at Walmart)

Was using K&N PS-1010, but I've switched to genuine Honda 15400-PLM-A02 since I found a deal online on a lot of 6 a month or two ago.

9HMR-FIX. Bought online (forgot where). I did the application myself in September of last year. I garage my car at home and park under cover at work, so the coating hasn't really been abused. Specs say I'd need to reapply every 6 months. So far, the initial coat is still going strong.
I just picked up some 0W-20 that you recommended from walmart. They had it on sale for $20 online. Thankfully they honored the online price in the store considering it was $26 in the store. Looks like the genuine filter is $9 on amazon so all-in-all about $30 to do the oil change myself...not bad...

What size is the wrench needed for the oil filter? How difficult is it to get to the filter/drain bolt? I assume I have to take off the underskirt to get access to it?
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I just picked up some 0W-20 that you recommended from walmart. They had it on sale for $20 online. Thankfully they honored the online price in the store considering it was $26 in the store. Looks like the genuine filter is $9 on amazon so all-in-all about $30 to do the oil change myself...not bad...

What size is the wrench needed for the oil filter? How difficult is it to get to the filter/drain bolt? I assume I have to take off the underskirt to get access to it?
Not sure of the MM size for the filter. I use a pair of oil filter pliers when removing mine.

You'll need to drop the belly pan to do the change (very light and thin). There are six slotted 1/4 turn bolts on the sides and rear and, I think, two Phillips bolts at the leading edge. Once removed, lower the front edge and slide the cover forward to remove. Everything is very accessible once the belly pan is off.

Don't forget to use a new crush-washer when reinstalling the drain plug. Torque for the drain plug is 30#.

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
You will need a special wrench to replace the oil filter. You can buy this wrench from a dealer.
The owner's manual says the special wrench can be bought at the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-12-02 ATXM2020OM PDF.png
Views:	10
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	4200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-12-02 ATXM2020OM PDF(1).png
Views:	9
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	4202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-12-02 ATXM2020OM PDF(2).png
Views:	10
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	4204  

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
The owner's manual says the special wrench can be bought at the dealership.
You do not need a "special" wrench. You need a regular oil filter wrench or oil filter pliers. It is only needed for filter removal.

Do not use the wrench/pliers to install the new filter.
andrew28 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page