Oil Change - DIY Question - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Oil Change - DIY Question

I've always done my own oil changes. In reviewing the drain and filter location in the new Insight, I see there is a panel underneath. Has anyone done their own oil change, and is there a specific method for accessing the drain and filter from underneath? I have a few thousand miles to go before I need to do mine, but want to be prepared when I do. Google and YouTube are not helpful due to the newness of the vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

Don

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Duh. I just looked up the procedure for my wife's 2018 Civic. Same belly pan. I'm all good. This what happens when you don't buy a new car for 20 years.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
My maintenance indicator warning came on at 10,115 miles to let me know service (Code A1, oil change only) was due. This indicated 15% oil life left. I picked up the oil and filter and did it myself in about 20 minutes.

Things to note if you do it yourself:

1. The belly pan must be removed first. There are two Phillips screws up front, and six slotted screws on the side and rear. The slotted screws are a PITA to get back in if you don't have a lot of room to work due to low ramps. I BA slotted screwdriver makes it easier.
2. The Insight is low to the ground. I needed to put a couple 2X10s in front of the ramps to drive on so I didn't hit the front of the car on the ramps.
3. Even though the oil filter is right side up, you WILL splash a good bit of oil when you remove it (much to my surprise). Rubber gloves are recommended.
4. FINALLY a car company got it right. Clean-up of the underside of the engine of splashed oil after draining is a breeze due to oil filter orientation/placement. The oil filter is very accessible. This is totally DIY job.
5. Parts places are slow to have Insight parts on their databases. You can order genuine Honda filters online. I chose to go with K&N PS-1010 oil filters via Amazon for under $7.

Bonus - my wife's 2018 Civic takes the same oil and oil filters as the Insight, so I get to buy in bulk. Based on current mileage, I'll be doing 3-4 oil changes per year between them.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
snip

I BA slotted screwdriver makes it easier.
2. The Insight is low to the ground. I needed to put a couple 2X10s in front of the ramps to drive on so I didn't hit the front of the car on the ramps.
snip
4. FINALLY a car company got it right. Clean-up of the underside of the engine of splashed oil after draining is a breeze due to oil filter orientation/placement. The oil filter is very accessible. This is totally DIY job.
snip
What is an "I BA slotted screwdriver"? How does it make it easier?

Any recommendations for ramps?

My Mercedes had the oil filter on top of the engine. Never had to crawl under it. I used the suction tube method to remove oil. Same technique as the dealer.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
What is an "I BA slotted screwdriver"? How does it make it easier?

Any recommendations for ramps?

My Mercedes had the oil filter on top of the engine. Never had to crawl under it. I used the suction tube method to remove oil. Same technique as the dealer.
BA = Big Ass flat-blade - the six slotted bolts are very large. A wider blade makes it easier. The slotted bolts turn 1/4 turn to remove/install. The two front belly pan bolts are Phillips heads in normal threads.

As far as the ramps, I have a set of Rhino ramps from the early 2000s. I have less than a half inch between the ramp and front airdam before I drive up. Coming down, the ramps tilted up when the wheels made contact with the ground, so I needed to put a 2x10 behind the ramps to drive on to. Low profile ramps will do the trick, btu you may want to measure beforehand or else have some scrap lumber available to drive onto before getting on/off the ramps. Not a big deal - just something to be aware of.

Drain and filter are on the bottom of the Insight and are a joy to work on once the belly pan is off. Removal is easy, putting the pan back was a pain the first time. I could probably reinstall it in under a minute now that I know the process.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:57 PM

How to do an oil change on 2019 insight? I've read the manual

Hi I have a 2019 Honda Insight and i'm looking at the manual about how to change the engine oil.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...ATXM1919OG.PDF

It's on page 65/75 for the pdf.

It doesn't mention where I drain the old oil, do I even need to drain the old oil? It just says

Engine Oil Park the vehicle on level ground. Wait approximately three minutes after turning the engine off before you check the oil. n Checking the Oil 1. Open the hood. (See Opening the Hood) Remove the dipstick (orange loop). 2. Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth or paper towel. 3. Insert the dipstick all the way back into its hole. 4. Remove the dipstick again, and check the level. It should be between the upper and lower marks. Add oil if necessary. n Recommended Engine Oil • Genuine Honda Motor Oil • Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container MAINTENANCE | 121 This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s latest requirements. Use Genuine Honda Motor Oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature. Use Genuine Honda Motor Oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature. You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is of the specified viscosity grade. n Adding Oil 1. Unscrew and remove the engine oil fill cap. 2. Add oil slowly. 3. Reinstall the engine oil fill cap and tighten it securely. 4. Wait for three minutes and recheck the engine oil dipstick.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by megawolf View Post
Hi I have a 2019 Honda Insight and i'm looking at the manual about how to change the engine oil.

It doesn't mention where I drain the old oil, do I even need to drain the old oil? It just says

Engine Oil Park the vehicle on level ground. Wait approximately three minutes after turning the engine off before you check the oil. n Checking the Oil 1. Open the hood. (See Opening the Hood) Remove the dipstick (orange loop). 2. Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth or paper towel. 3. Insert the dipstick all the way back into its hole. 4. Remove the dipstick again, and check the level. It should be between the upper and lower marks. Add oil if necessary. n Recommended Engine Oil • Genuine Honda Motor Oil • Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container MAINTENANCE | 121 This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s latest requirements. Use Genuine Honda Motor Oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature. Use Genuine Honda Motor Oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable viscosity for the ambient temperature. You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is of the specified viscosity grade. n Adding Oil 1. Unscrew and remove the engine oil fill cap. 2. Add oil slowly. 3. Reinstall the engine oil fill cap and tighten it securely. 4. Wait for three minutes and recheck the engine oil dipstick.
Yes, you need to drain the old oil and dispose of it properly. AutoZone or similar stores will take your old oil and filter. The pages you reference are for checking and adding oil only if it's low.

Here are a few notes from my first oil change - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-....html#post7490

Once you get the belly pan off, you'll see the 17mm drain plug and oil filter. when refilling, be sure to not overfill. I believe it took 3.5qt to refill my Insight. I also replaced the crush washer on the drain plug when reinstalling.

Here is a video of the 10th gen Civic oil change. It's pretty much the same ordeal. Just make sure you have proper supports (jackstands or ramps, with ramps preferred). Do NOT use stacked wood like this guy -

Hope this helps.

Don

Last edited by hasarad; 06-20-2019 at 02:29 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Garage
Quote:

You’re looking at the User Guide, if you look in the full Manual you can find these instructions..
Click image for larger version

Name:	692BF354-DF4A-406D-9A1A-BF4D8B938FFF.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	2456Click image for larger version

Name:	B3354CB5-D917-4A4F-AB5F-49CD94DFCB05.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	2458

2019 Orchid White Pearl Touring
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
Here is a video of the 10th gen Civic oil change. It's pretty much the same ordeal. Just make sure you have proper supports (jackstands or ramps, with ramps preferred). Do NOT use stacked wood like this guy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvVuYDY4dYQ
Get some disposable nitrile gloves before handling used oil, too. You don't want to get skin contact with used oil.

Quote:
Motor oil is essential to fossil fuel motors. Many humans do not think about getting grease or oil on their hands when working on motors, but they are putting themselves at risk. Used motor oil contains, benzene, hydrocarbons, gasoline, diesel, antifreeze, and metal shavings from the engine. Frequent exposure to motor oil and used motor oil can cause skin rashes, dermatitis, blood anemia, headaches, tremors, and skin cancer. There are currently no alternatives to using motor oil so humans need to protect themselves from frequent exposure. When working with oils wearing gloves is the only way to limit exposure. In conclusion, motor oil and in particular used motor oil is hazardous to both people and the environment.

Human exposure to benzene has been associated with a range of acute and long-term adverse health effects and diseases, including cancer, aplastic and anemia. Exposure can occur as a result of the ubiquitous use of benzene containing petroleum products, including motor fuels and solvents. Benzene is highly volatile, and exposure occurs mostly through inhalation.Public health actions are needed to reduce the exposure by the general population to benzene.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendation: avoid exposure to motor oil and inhalation motor oil fumes.
mgldan likes this.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

While the Owners GUIDE in your link comes printed with the vehicle (75 pages), it contains much less info than the Owners MANUAL (675 pages), as Mr. Natural mentioned.

The Owners Manual PDF can be found at this link, or you can request a physical copy of the full manual at this link. The PDF copy is helpful for quick searches/reference.

The physical copy is 'free' if requested within the first 6 months of purchase.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page