No Spare Tire - Page 15 - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #141 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Leawood, KC
Posts: 16
Thanks for the info. I contacted a parts yard in the KC area who found a Ď16 Civic donut and the whole kit in TX. Itís on its way up here in a couple of days. Whole kit was $150.

I did a couple of quick searches on the forum under ďcalipersĒ and didnít see anything about someone trying this specific donut to ensure it fit without hitting calipers or anything else. Did you mount your civic donut and give it a spin?
Leewood is offline  
post #142 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Warren County, New Jerey
Posts: 906
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leewood View Post
Thanks for the info. I contacted a parts yard in the KC area who found a ‘16 Civic donut and the whole kit in TX. It’s on its way up here in a couple of days. Whole kit was $150.

I did a couple of quick searches on the forum under “calipers” and didn’t see anything about someone trying this specific donut to ensure it fit without hitting calipers or anything else. Did you mount your civic donut and give it a spin?
It fits just fine. I also use mine when rotating tires every 5K miles. No issues. The wheel's part number is the same for the Insight. It is correct.

I would add, if you need to use the spare, make sure it is only fitted to the rear. Swap tires if you need to if you have a front flat. The donut spare is a smaller diameter and could cause damage to the drive system if on the front as the motors will not spin at/near the same RPM.

In any case, expect a tire pressure warning as the passive TPMS will see the difference in rotational speed and think there is a tire pressure imbalance.


2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey

Last edited by hasarad; 11-05-2019 at 08:15 PM.
hasarad is online now  
post #143 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Leawood, KC
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
It fits just fine. I also use mine when rotating tires every 5K miles. No issues. The wheel's part number is the same for the Insight. It is correct.

I would add, if you need to use the spare, make sure it is only fitted to the rear. Swap tires if you need to if you have a front flat. The donut spare is a smaller diameter and could cause damage to the drive system if on the front as the motors will not spin at/near the same RPM.

In any case, expect a tire pressure warning as the passive TPMS will see the difference in rotational speed and think there is a tire pressure imbalance.
Thanks for the response. With luck I wonít need to actually use the spare. But with long range trips diagonally across KS itís nice to have the spare available if needed.
Leewood is offline  
post #144 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,578
Agree with @hasarad 's points. A couple additional watchouts mentioned in Owners Manual, if/when compact spare is installed:
- Don't calibrate TPMS until after compact spare tire is restore with full size tire (p473)
- Spare tire can affect Honda Sensing, since the car's alignment/orientation changes (pp 488, 498, 516, 521, 524)
insightfully is offline  
post #145 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Leawood, KC
Posts: 16
Update: picked up myí16 Civic compact spare and kit yesterday and it all fits in the well. It even came with the hold down bolt piece. As for the battery access tools I kept the fuel funnel in the kit and fitted the battery tools inside the funnel. A little bit of padding will keep them from rattling around.

Now for the tire compressor I still want to keep in the trunk (both a belt and suspenders, you know): Iím thinking maybe some Velcro straps to hold it to the rear seat back. The placement could be such that the compressor would rest on the floor of the trunk up against the seat back and the straps would just keep it upright and so it wouldnít slide around. If Velcro wonít work out Iíll probably just use a small storage box for it and the first aid kit to keep them contained and at the back of the trunk until needed.

Thanks to all who posted such helpful posts on here to help me find a solution. The compressor alone didnít give me a lot of piece of mind since my last experience with a flat was in the sidewall and not a tread puncture. Not sure the compressor fix would have helped in that situation.
insightfully likes this.
Leewood is offline  
post #146 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Warren County, New Jerey
Posts: 906
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leewood View Post
Update: picked up myí16 Civic compact spare and kit yesterday and it all fits in the well. It even came with the hold down bolt piece. As for the battery access tools I kept the fuel funnel in the kit and fitted the battery tools inside the funnel. A little bit of padding will keep them from rattling around.

Now for the tire compressor I still want to keep in the trunk (both a belt and suspenders, you know): Iím thinking maybe some Velcro straps to hold it to the rear seat back. The placement could be such that the compressor would rest on the floor of the trunk up against the seat back and the straps would just keep it upright and so it wouldnít slide around. If Velcro wonít work out Iíll probably just use a small storage box for it and the first aid kit to keep them contained and at the back of the trunk until needed.

Thanks to all who posted such helpful posts on here to help me find a solution. The compressor alone didnít give me a lot of piece of mind since my last experience with a flat was in the sidewall and not a tread puncture. Not sure the compressor fix would have helped in that situation.
I have a trunk organizer filled with a small moving blanket, microfiber towels, emergency stuff, etc. I keep my compressor in there. The weight of the filled storage organizer has had minimal mpg effects. I, too, am a fan of a belt with suspenders.


2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
hasarad is online now  
post #147 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 2
Ordered Spare Tire Kit for 2019 Insight from Honda dealer

This is what I ordered for my 2019 Insight EX:

Temporary Wheel Kit - Honda (06421-TXM-A02) - This has the tools, styrofoam toolbox that sits on the tire and holds the tools and spare tire rim - price: $208.36 + tax
Tire, Temporary (T125/80D16) (97M) (Kenda) - Honda (42751-KEN-006) - This is apparently just the tire that needs be mounted on the rim - price: $69.18 + tax

A couple of things of note:
- Just ordered so I will post with updates as I receive and try the spare on for size (Honda parts site and dealer says it should fit LX and EX)
- The dealer is charging me $27 to mount the tire
- I think I avoided delivery charges by ordering at the dealer (delivery charges if I ordered online)
- I referenced other posts to understand the situation and determine what to order, so thanks to all who posted!

Cheers!
burnsmarty is offline  
post #148 of 152 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: richmond, va.
Posts: 3
Insight spare tire

I bought one on Ebay last week for $125. Brand new mounted on rim and filled. Free shipping. Specifically for the 2019 Insight. I also bought a 2 ton scissor jack for $20. Got a lug wrench at Pep boys.

Last edited by silverkat; 11-25-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: text errors and more info to add
silverkat is offline  
post #149 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 6
Is there any Honda Civic model from 2016 through 2019 who's 16" spare tire donut will NOT work on my 2019 Insight LX? I found one that says it will fit the Insight online and another donut from a Civic of those years which says it will not. Should all Civic donuts from those years be suitable or only some?
1948man is offline  
post #150 of 152 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
 
andrew28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,751
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948man View Post
Is there any Honda Civic model from 2016 through 2019 who's 16" spare tire donut will NOT work on my 2019 Insight LX? I found one that says it will fit the Insight online and another donut from a Civic of those years which says it will not. Should all Civic donuts from those years be suitable or only some?
I think as long as the spare tire size (T125/80D16) (97M) is the same it should fit.
https://www.hondapartsnetwork.com/oe...da-42751ken006

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
andrew28 is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome