No Spare Tire - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 35Likes

post #1 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

No Spare Tire

I was looking at the specifications section in the online Owner's Manual and came across the spec for the Compact Spare, which is for "Vehicles with optional spare tire" (p.653). In fact, there is a wheel-well and a bracket to take a screw-down clamp for such a tire under all that Styrofoam in the trunk. But there does not seem to be such an option on offer, at least not yet, despite Alex on Autos having announced it in his video review.
post #2 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:43 PM

No Spare Tire

New 2019 Insight Touring has no spare. Anyone know of how to go about getting a spare, jack, tools, etc. that will work with this vehicle? American Honda says no spare available by P/N for this car. All I have is a pump, but there are times that we are in remote areas of the Southwest USA and miles from anywhere. A spare would be nice to have then.
Lunarbadboy likes this.
post #3 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Patience.The Aftermarket (or your local tire shop) will provide.

"See a need, fill a need" -Big Weld
post #4 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:29 PM

Garage
Here’s what I did.
Go to this website and find all the part numbers for the unavailable temporary spare kit. 2019 Insight Tourin CVT | Temporary Wheel Kit

Then I searched eBay/Craigslist/etc, and found a late model Civic tire and jack.

Cross referenced that year and models Civic part numbers against the Insight using same hondapartsnetwork.com

All the part numbers matched except the styrofoam ‘tool box’, so I bought them.

Sourced ‘tool box’ by searching for part number 84541-TXM-A10. Came up with a number of online Honda parts sites. Looked for the best price/shipping and ordered one.

All set up for about $150 total.

Last edited by Mr. Natural; 07-28-2018 at 02:32 PM.
post #5 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:54 PM

Garage
Here’s what I did for a spare.

Go to this website and find all the part numbers for the unavailable temporary spare kit.
http://hondapartsnetwork.com/assembl...rary-Wheel-Kit

Then I searched eBay/Craigslist/etc, and found a late model Civic tire and jack.

Cross referenced that year and models Civic part numbers against the Insight using same hondapartsnetwork.com

Sourced ‘tool box’ by searching for part number 84541-TXM-A10. Came up with a number of online Honda parts sites. Looked for the best price/shipping and ordered one.

Last edited by Mr. Natural; 07-28-2018 at 02:56 PM.
post #6 of 152 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
Here’s what I did.
Go to this website and find all the part numbers for the unavailable temporary spare kit. 2019 Insight Tourin CVT | Temporary Wheel Kit

Thanks Goldy. I'll look into it.
post #7 of 152 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
Hereís what I did.
Goldy - which trim do you have and do you notice any difference in MPG on trips with the spare tire versus the inflator kit?
post #8 of 152 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:08 AM

Garage
I have a Touring. Based on the published specs for the individual parts the spare and jack added about 35 pounds to weight of the car, so it had to have some effect. But I didnít have the car long enough before I put the tire in to know for sure. Plus, Iíve been on a diet and have already lost 20 pounds. 15 more pounds and Iíll have lost my Ďspare tireí.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Touring
post #9 of 152 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 PM

LOL fantastic answer! I want to add the spare too, and you gave me an incentive to loose weight! Thanks!

99 accord
02 civic
06 civic
10 civic
12 civic
13 accord
15 civic
17 civic
19 Insight
post #10 of 152 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM

Compact Spare Tire

As you know, the Insight doesn't come with a compact spare tire, but has space/mounting for it. If I wanted to buy one to have/carry, do you know the specs for it? Would it be the same as for a 2017 Civic Sedan? I've done some searches to find a place to purchase one, but didn't find anything.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page