Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

700 miles on a tank - hey y’all look at this!

8K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  hasarad 
#1 ·
Personal goal of mine but I did it, got 700 miles out of the tank. I did “pack the tank” with gas coming all the way up the filler neck and did the same thing when I refilled. Used a total of 11.05 gallons for a paper/pencil average of 63.35 mpg. The dash indicated 62.6 mpg. I live at the beach so it’s relatively flat and mainly drive in stop and go with short, approx. 5 miles, of highway speed on a 14 mile circuit to work. Temps have been a low of 80 if we are lucky and I didn’t run the air conditioning at all. Average speed was 30 mph for the entire tank.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's incredible while I'm satisfied with the 470 miles per tank I'm getting so far.
You also need some wriggle room in your gas tank to allow the gasoline to expand, otherwise the additional gas could evaporate into your car's vapor-collection system and damage it, leading to a vehicle that runs poorly and has high gas emissions.
Also be careful about topping off your gas tank.^

#6 ·
That's incredible while I'm satisfied with the 470 miles per tank I'm getting so far.

Also be careful about topping off your gas tank.^
Just realized I made a typo, should be 570 miles per tank I'm currently getting, and the 470 miles per tank is my lifetime average since I got the car back in late December.

It said 0 miles for about 10 miles or so. There was a slight pucker factor going on when I was driving around with it on 0. The gas pump put in 9.2 gallons and clicked off so I think there would have been about 1.5 gallons still in the tank. That being said is 800 miles a possibility? I’m not crazy but........
45-50psi tires anyone? :wink:

#3 ·
Nice! Does the 'range' indicator go negative once you pass 0 miles left? If so and your first picture was taken at exactly 0 miles left, maybe you could've even gotten another 100+ miles if you dared to go lower (assuming 63.35 mpg and 1.6 gallons left when at 0 miles on range indicator). 800 mile range is just... WOW.

#5 ·
It said 0 miles for about 10 miles or so. There was a slight pucker factor going on when I was driving around with it on 0. The gas pump put in 9.2 gallons and clicked off so I think there would have been about 1.5 gallons still in the tank. That being said is 800 miles a possibility? I’m not crazy but........

#9 ·
fair to say that if your average is over 70mpg, should be pretty easy to hit 700. Should be a 10 gallon fill up.

#16 ·
So....I wonder how much fuel the Insight can hold. I know tank is around 10.6 gallons but how much for filler neck and any extra capacity over the listed capacity. I put in a little over 11 after my run and I “packed” the tank. The pump did click off at 9.2 gallons so I think I still had another 1.4 gallons in the tank after going 700 miles on the tank. Any thoughts on total fuel that the car can hold?

#19 ·
Not sure if this applies to the Insight but I think topping off your tank can damage the car. I drove a Mazda 3 prior to this and always topped off the tank as much as it would take. Eventually it got to the point where the gas pump would always prematurely click off.. I've read it was a clogged vent tube or canister but I never found out for sure if topping off the tank all the the time is what caused it. Anyway, I'm playing it safe with the Insight and refraining from topping off the tank.

#17 ·
I am trying to get 3 months on a tank of gas. Filled up on May 9 and have driven 88 miles as of Jun 9. This is not fun car to go joyriding in, just transportation. So I only drive it when I have to.
The lack of CD player means I just have local radio stations to listen to. The LX does not get Sirius radio and I am not buying a smartphone for music. It is amazing getting 700 miles on a less than 11 gal. tank. Car has 888 on odometer since Dec 28.

#18 ·
Just get a a high capacity USB thumb drive and listen to your favorite music. For another car we had with no CD, we converted our favorite CDs to mp3's which was very easy. We have Sirius in our Ridgeline but haven't subscribed for the new Insight Touring. I love driving around in my Insight and it's such a fun game to put the thumb drive in for good music and watch the battery charging and going back and forth between EV and gas. Once I found how to put that info on my dash board, I can see it when looking straight ahead. We just finished our first 800 mile trip between Memphis and Biloxi, MS in the Insight and found that at 65 mpg we did 400 miles to Biloxi and then another 50 miles coming back home before needing to refill. Even after the gas light was on for 30 miles, we still put almost 2 gallons of fuel in the tank. We never fill more than the first click so consistently fill the tank.

After getting used to the high ride in the Ridgeline it took a little adjustment to be so low to the ground especially when huge 18 wheelers blew by. Just wished the seats had a little more padding like the Ridgeline. Guess we get some gel cushions for the long rides.

#25 ·
Well..... I got 700 miles on a tank. I only averaged 63 mpg so based on my algebra if I increase mileage by 7 mpg to an average of 70 mpg and multiply that times the number of gallons I used to fill up, 11, that equals 77 miles. Now if I take the 700 I got out of the tank and add the additional mileage obtained thru more efficient driving of 77 miles, one could easily go 750 if not 800 on a tank. All I’m doing is challenging someone to do it. I think it can be done. I just can’t seem to get much more than low 60s per gallon. Its doable if you look at the math. Numbers don’t lie.

#26 ·
70+ miles per trip is doable, but 70+ miles for EVERY trip in the tank is barely feasible. I wouldn't pack my gas tank due to the potential for damaging the vapor recovery system - I stop after the pump clicks (not even rounding to the nearest quarter). I tell myself I only have ten gallons in the tank although it holds more. The less-than-a-gallon is my own reserve. With that said, I'm pulling a 70.7mpg tank currently after 444 miles. While I should be able to hit 707 miles, gas stations in my area of NJ are not close together. I have a 27 mile stretch where there are none. I'll likely fill up once my range drops below 100 miles. While I know the Insight can do 750 miles, I can't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.