How to trickle charge 12v when laying up Insight - Page 3 - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 2Likes

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
Interesting that the documents/links are for "pre-delivery service" (PDS) - meaning they're intended for dealer use before sale, rather than for the consumer. Seems like Toyota takes into account that hybrid vehicles can sit on dealer lots for a while, and require special checks to ensure battery quality and mechanical health. Would be nice if this type of information was communicated as a standard to all consumers.

The PDS that I've seen from Honda aren't nearly this detailed. I hope Honda internally has a detailed version like Toyota's; but given some of the 'battery failure' issues reported already among forum members, methinks Honda is lacking in this area...
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:20 PM
FRR

Well, I read everything I could and talked to everyone that claimed to know anything about whether we could charge or tender the 12v battery. Every source said no and claimed that if I parked the car for 2 months when I'm in Florida it wouldn't hurt anything. I'll find out soon. I parked my 2019 Insight Sept 27 and hope to get back in it about November 23. We will see how good that battery really is. Cross your fingers folks.
andrew28 likes this.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR View Post
Well, I read everything I could and talked to everyone that claimed to know anything about whether we could charge or tender the 12v battery. Every source said no and claimed that if I parked the car for 2 months when I'm in Florida it wouldn't hurt anything. I'll find out soon. I parked my 2019 Insight Sept 27 and hope to get back in it about November 23. We will see how good that battery really is. Cross your fingers folks.
Looking forward to read about the outcome.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Today, 11:57 AM

Winter storage

I live in rural Minnesota, and need to store my 2019 insight for the winter in a well ventilated outbuilding through much of the winter. Once the heavy snows come I won’t be able to drive the car until spring. I have two questions:
1. Can I use an AGM float/maintenance charge like the following to keep the 12v battery charged?
Battery Tender Plus 12V, 1.25A Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068XCQU..._XM86DbEFSXSET

2. Will I be able to keep the HV battery alive and well by just starting the Insight once per month for 30+ minutes. I can do this at around 3000 rpm if needed, and can open large doors on the building to keep things well ventilated.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old Today, 12:58 PM

Garage
1) That charger should work well with our AGM battery.

2) It should be fine, if you have enough room in the building, I'd pull it forward and backward a couple times to make sure the drivetrain stays well lubricated and to prevent flat spots on the tires from developing.

Obviously if you have a nice weather day, I'd take the car out for a short drive. (Also be sure to check for rodents and other animal debris, and hope they haven't chewed on anything.)

2019 Insight EX, Aegean Blue (Owned by my someday wife)
General Automotive knowledge, Degree in Autobody, worked in Electronics for the past 10 years.
Retired Professional Car Audio Competitor. Avid knowledge buff, always researching something.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page