Portable Jump Starter for 12V Battery - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Portable Jump Starter for 12V Battery

Does anyone know if this portable jump starter would work on the 2019 Insight? I know the Insight has a small battery inside the car, but not sure about its specifics. This jump starter only works with 12v lead acid batteries.

Noco boost+ GB40 Jump Starter

Thanks.
highmiler likes this.
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:42 PM

the owners manual suggests a jumper that provides 12-volt battery jumping power can indeed work

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	is.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	602  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Highmiler!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You can jump start an Insight, but you should not use it to jump-start another car. Electronic damage can occur.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
You can jump start an Insight, but you should not use it to jump-start another car. Electronic damage can occur.
Hey Hasarad! Thanks for all of your contributions to the forum. I've been lurking for a while and have seen you on nearly every thread. I actually did provide a jump-start to a guy as I was picking up my dry cleaning. I followed the same procedures we are supposed to follow when receiving a jump and he was able to get fired right up. I haven't had any issues since. Maybe I got lucky, but everything seemed to have turned out okay. Hope this helps!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by westb87 View Post
Hey Hasarad! Thanks for all of your contributions to the forum. I've been lurking for a while and have seen you on nearly every thread. I actually did provide a jump-start to a guy as I was picking up my dry cleaning. I followed the same procedures we are supposed to follow when receiving a jump and he was able to get fired right up. I haven't had any issues since. Maybe I got lucky, but everything seemed to have turned out okay. Hope this helps!
Happy things worked out sell. It is explicitly stated in the owner's manual not to be a donor for jump-starting. I would surmise that any damages that could occur by doing so would not be covered under warranty. The insight'
s battery is not a standard 12v - it's a 12v AGM battery. I'm not sure exactly what damage could occur, but perusing the interwebs turned up a few cases of blown fuses.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
The 12v battery in the Insight isnít sized to start a car. Not even the Insight. I donít know what damage it would cause, but I wouldnít do it.
hasarad likes this.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Touring
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
A traditional non-hybrid car uses the 12V battery to power a starter motor to turn the engine. The Prius uses a much more powerful electric drive motor connected to a large, high voltage hybrid traction battery, so the 12V accessory battery only drives electronics and accessories. Thus the 12V accessory battery is not designed to handle the large current a starter motor draws, so it should not be used to jump start another car. The reason you can't use the traction battery to jump start another car is because it is much higher voltage.
^ The Prius can't be use to jump start another car either and I think the above explanation applies to the Insight, too.

@0:30 Honda mentions no jump starting another vehicle and battery charging.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Similar to other comments, I'd chalk up this success to luck (and wouldn't suggest pressing it further). My guess is you were very fortunate and had enough high-voltage battery charge to sustain the jump. The high-voltage battery recharges the Insight's 12V AGM battery. I believe Honda advises not having the Insight jump other cars because the hybrid nature of HV battery level/cycling from normal operation varies at any given start/stop point (i.e. may not have enough juice to jump, draining HV battery state of charge). If the HV battery drains too much, the car's power system will not start at all.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:45 AM

This raises the question of which battery-based jump start boxes can start the Insight (or any other keyless-ignition-based car). I was thinking about purchasing a Weego 22 (recommended by Wirecutter) when I came across this comment:

Quote:
You can't use this on a car with a keyless ignition. This is the most disturbing since a large percentage of cars sold over the past 10 years have keyless ignition. The Weego looks for a system draw before allowing power to flow. On an old car, you turn the key on and a power draw is then sent to the battery/Weego from the ignition, which turns the Weego's adapter on (adapter light green). You can then start the car. For a keyless ignition, the system needs a few seconds of power to start the electronics/ignition/fuel pump before allowing the car to start. If there is low power, it doesn't go through this mode and consequently never sends a power draw to the Weego long enough for it to turn on and allow power to flow.
Has anyone found a good jump start box which will work with the Insight?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page