New Touring Owner - Page 8 - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 3Likes

post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
6) i'm not sure if they're self-heated or just relies on cabin heat. I'm leaning towards cabin heat only through the vents under the rear seats.
From the diagram you shared from Honda R&D on the Accord Hybrid battery configuration, and from the parts list for the Insight HV battery, it looks like only cooling fan is present to manage/offset "thermal runaway" chemical reaction and explosion risk in case the lithium ion battery overheats. Overheating the battery is more dangerous than running it too cold.

Accord Hybrid battery configuration - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/9158-post2.html

Insight parts list - https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...oling-fan.html
post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
1) when do you guys use neutral?
A - A (semi-obscure) use is for infotainment reboot.
B - Another application is car wash mode as Wifey'sInsight mentioned.
C - A third application is to shut down car in accessory mode.
D - A fourth application is for towing.
E - A fifth application is when parking on a hill
F - You can shift to neutral to avoid hearing the engine 'roar' when HV battery is full or while going downhill, but that application is generally not advised nor a best-practice.
2) what does p do? Engage the front wheels to the engine shaft? To the electric motors? To both?
The car is "shift by wire" which manages the transmission mode by electronic control instead of mechanical link from gear shifter. Haven't seen a Honda-specific description, but the 'generic' description of 'park by wire' is as follows:
- engages the parking pawl of transmission using electrical means
- an electronic control unit hosts the control system and actuators (one or two motors)
- the actuators drive the parking pawl into and out of the locking position of the parking gear
3) do you guys use the electronic parking brakes on top of p?
Honda recommends engaging the parking brake (Owners Manual p541), but I generally find that service techs and valets never use them (which annoys me). There's instruction available to activate parking brake automatically when the car is powered off, and some discussion on how to shut down the car (one-button shutdown is possible).
4) i'm doing a long highway trip up to nh for thanksgiving. I want to break in the engine as much as possible. Should i try to be above 70mph so the engine is on gear most of the time? Or maybe at a lower speed but in sports mode?
If you want the ICE to run the most, driving at 70+ mph highway speeds is the best option; though you'll still have stretches where EV kicks in (e.g. downhill stretches of highway). But honestly, I don't quite understand the need to accelerate break-in, when Honda measures it on a distance basis (600 mi) regardless of ICE or hybrid design.
5) what pressure should you run the tires in case of light snow/ ice. Over or under-inflated? Or just to specs? Or don't worry about it? I have the continental procontact tx.
Discussion on 'optimal tire pressures' can be found here - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/16...-pressure.html
6) are the hv batteries heated other than through cabin heat?
The HV battery is air-cooled via vent (and cooling fan) connecting it to the cabin interior.
7) i have trip a set to reset with ignition off. If i don't want it to reset when i put gas into the car, is it ok to keep the car on? And to go to the bathroom with the keys? (i've done it by mistake and the car beeped at me but i think it's fine?)
There are 3 different setting options (manual, when refueled, or when ignition off) that can be selected for each trip meter (A, B). The car's default setting is to manually reset both trip meters. I think it's unsafe to keep the car on while refueling in general (hybrid or not), and specific to this car, it's not recommended to walk away with key/fob while passenger is inside (without key).

Thanks for the extremely detailed answer! If I knew there were all these tricks with Neutral! Actually interested by the infotainment reboot as it crashed and rebooted today as I was driving... Now can I use the "accessory mode without powering down" trick as an answer to my question 7? Which was, refill the tank at gas station without having trip A to auto reset?
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasei View Post
Thanks for the extremely detailed answer! If I knew there were all these tricks with Neutral! Actually interested by the infotainment reboot as it crashed and rebooted today as I was driving... Now can I use the "accessory mode without powering down" trick as an answer to my question 7? Which was, refill the tank at gas station without having trip A to auto reset?
Not quite... the 'accessory mode without powering down' only works if driver stays in car, with foot on brake. The Neutral selection overrides full shutdown, but the car will move unless driver leaves foot on brake.
post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You can refill the tank at gas station without having trip A auto-reset by making a specific selection for "Manual Reset." It should already be 'manual' by default, but worth checking in case changed by dealer.

post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick question guys... My car is at Honda right now to get a new front passenger handle and driver mirror. I suppose they need to disconnect the 12V battery? Do I need to be careful that they don't mess up with the key fob programming?
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Just a quick question guys... My car is at Honda right now to get a new front passenger handle and driver mirror. I suppose they need to disconnect the 12V battery? Do I need to be careful that they don't mess up with the key fob programming?
That shouldn't be an issue. Even if there was an effect, Honda would notice it as they meed to be able to move your car and test the repair. If they can start and move it, you're good-to-go.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
What happened to your passenger door handle and driver mirror?

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm guessing these repair areas are where scratches were upon delivery, and you've worked out replacement with dealer...?

Perhaps @kayejack can chime in on experience (which seemed seamless). Door handle sensor was defective and recently replaced... but I don't think the 12V battery was disconnected in the process. There's a video on handle replacement in the thread, and battery was left in tact - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/28...nly-fob-2.html

Agree with hasarad that the dealer should know/detect/correct any issues if the 12V battery needs to be disconnected. Things to watch out for acting up after 12V battery disconnection are: re-establishing HondaLink connection, reactivating audio/clock system, Honda Sensing alerts. The HV battery charge level also decreases slightly when the 12V battery is replaced or disconnected (OM p129). I'm fairly certain that the fob doesn't need to be reprogrammed at battery change...
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Yes they were replaced because the car was delivered scratched. You're correct @insightfully , they didn't touch the 12V. "When it's off, it's off" he said.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page