New Touring Owner - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

New Touring Owner

Picked up my 2019 Insight Touring yesterday. Got about 40 mpg on two 12 mi trips with like 3 minutes remote starter before each trip. Driving very eco-friendly, normal mode. Temp 30F.

1) Seems normal?
2) Will it get better when the engine breaks in?
3) How bad is the remote starter on mpg?
post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasei View Post
Picked up my 2019 Insight Touring yesterday. Got about 40 mpg on two 12 mi trips with like 3 minutes remote starter before each trip. Driving very eco-friendly, normal mode. Temp 30F.

1) Seems normal?
1) It doesn't seem unrealistic.
2) Slightly, ambient temperature and or rolling resistance (snow, rain etc) kills gas mileage. And speeds over 70mph.
3) Remote start= 0mpg. With a touring, I'd set the auto temp, turn your seat heaters on, and try to drive to heat the car. You'll get better numbers. Avoid idling at all costs to improve gas mileage drastically. If you don't mind the cold, or a pair of gloves, I try to drive for ~5 minutes before turning the heat on.

2019 Insight EX, Aegean Blue (Owned by my someday wife)
General Automotive knowledge, Degree in Autobody, worked in Electronics for the past 10 years.
Retired Professional Car Audio Competitor. Avid knowledge buff, always researching something.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey'sInsight View Post
1) It doesn't seem unrealistic.
2) Slightly, ambient temperature and or rolling resistance (snow, rain etc) kills gas mileage. And speeds over 70mph.
3) Remote start= 0mpg. With a touring, I'd set the auto temp, turn your seat heaters on, and try to drive to heat the car. You'll get better numbers. Avoid idling at all costs to improve gas mileage drastically. If you don't mind the cold, or a pair of gloves, I try to drive for ~5 minutes before turning the heat on.
Thank you! I kinda bought this car for the remote starter haha. But I will test without to see what the influence is!
post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thank you! I kinda bought this car for the remote starter haha. But I will test without to see what the influence is!
I'm definitely not telling you not to use it. You can also increase your gas mileage if you can string together shorter trips into one longer trip. There are many different strategies to maximize fuel economy. Increase cold tire pressure, be able to park in a garage in winter etc...

Congratulations on your purchase, by the way.

My testing and personal goals are different than many, I figure that I have an opportunity to test things and provide feedback so that not everyone has to drive to work with mustache icicles.

The fuel economy that you will most likely experience in warmer months will be amazing, winter is particularly hard on hybrids. The Insight was built to be extremely efficient, unfortunately as you become more efficient, outside factors affect your outcome even more.

2019 Insight EX, Aegean Blue (Owned by my someday wife)
General Automotive knowledge, Degree in Autobody, worked in Electronics for the past 10 years.
Retired Professional Car Audio Competitor. Avid knowledge buff, always researching something.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

1) Seems normal?
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new ride! At what speed(s) did you drive your 12 mile trips? City mpg is higher than highway mpg rating for the car (51 city / 45 hiway for the Touring trim).
- If driven at highway speed (60+ mph), you 'only' lost 5 mpg (-11%) from colder temps and remote start... which isn't bad at all.
- If driven at city speed (<60 mph), your mpg loss was more appreciable (-22%).
There are forum members like hasarad who have beaten EPA fuel efficiency from the get-go, so it's hard to directly correlate break-in to mpg improvement. Conditions like temperature, terrain, and driver experience/technique seem to be bigger factors in mpg gains, IMO. Additional thoughts from others on break-in are in the threads below:
- Break in period - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/15...ak-period.html
- Break in & mpg - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/26...break-mpg.html
And a thread on optimal tire pressures, to add to comment from Wifey'sInsight:
- Optimal tire pressure - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/16...-pressure.html
You may want to try Eco mode to see if the dampened throttle response (and climate control) help your fuel efficiency even more than eco-friendly driving in Normal mode. The throttle is more responsive in Normal mode than in Eco mode, so the adjustment may also increase your mpg.

Remote start nets 0 mpg as already mentioned, and always triggers the gas engine to run in cold temperatures. (Gas engine powers the heating; electric engine powers the A/C.)

Last edited by insightfully; 11-14-2019 at 07:11 PM.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey'sInsight View Post
I'm definitely not telling you not to use it. You can also increase your gas mileage if you can string together shorter trips into one longer trip. There are many different strategies to maximize fuel economy. Increase cold tire pressure, be able to park in a garage in winter etc...

Congratulations on your purchase, by the way.

My testing and personal goals are different than many, I figure that I have an opportunity to test things and provide feedback so that not everyone has to drive to work with mustache icicles.

The fuel economy that you will most likely experience in warmer months will be amazing, winter is particularly hard on hybrids. The Insight was built to be extremely efficient, unfortunately as you become more efficient, outside factors affect your outcome even more.
Thank you, I'm pretty pumped! Except the dealer handed me a very scratched car so I need to go back so they fix it... Otherwise I'm coming from a 2007 Mazda 3 with manual transmission that was getting something like 22mpg in the winter. Anything above 40 and I'm very happy
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new ride! At what speed(s) did you drive your 12 mile trips? City mpg is higher than highway mpg rating for the car (51 city / 45 hiway for the Touring trim).
- If driven at highway speed (60+ mph), you 'only' lost 5 mpg (-11%) from colder temps and remote start... which isn't bad at all.
- If driven at city speed (<60 mph), your mpg loss was more appreciable (-22%).
There are forum members like hasarad who have beaten EPA fuel efficiency from the get-go, so it's hard to directly correlate break-in to mpg improvement. Conditions like temperature, terrain, and driver experience/technique seem to be bigger factors in mpg gains, IMO. Additional thoughts from others on break-in are in the threads below:
- Break in period - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/15...ak-period.html
- Break in & mpg - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/26...break-mpg.html
And a thread on optimal tire pressures, to add to comment from Wifey'sInsight:
- Optimal tire pressure - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/16...-pressure.html
You may want to try Eco mode to see if the dampened throttle response (and climate control) help your fuel efficiency even more than eco-friendly driving in Normal mode. The throttle is more responsive in Normal mode than in Eco mode, so the adjustment may also increase your mpg.

Remote start nets 0 mpg as already mentioned, and always triggers the gas engine to run in cold temperatures. (Gas engine powers the heating; electric engine powers the A/C.)
Hello and thank you for welcoming me! 12mi trip were 80% highway at 60mph. Thanks for the interesting links! Will definitely test tire pressure and try without remote start/ Eco mode.
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

You guys are so nice and responsive I feel like asking other questions haha. If you don't mind!

1) What do you guys think about the first 7,500 mi maintenance? How much was it? Can I just do an oil change at Valvoline and call it a day?
2) What if I want to do a very short trip (1mi) on EV mode only. How can I start the car making sure the ICE doesn't kick in when I press the start button?
3) Speaking of, I just tried to do a short trip and I could only do something like 0.3mi before ICE started. I had turned the heater off and the battery was about half. That seems short, is this normal?
4) Last question, is there a difference between AUTO climate control and manual in terms of how often ICE is used? I'm wondering about the heating case: Imagine I set it to 70F (with AC off) AUTO versus manual with the fan speed turned at the lowest setting.

post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
You guys are so nice and responsive I feel like asking other questions haha. If you don't mind!

1) What do you guys think about the first 7,500 mi maintenance? How much was it? Can I just do an oil change at Valvoline and call it a day?
2) What if I want to do a very short trip (1mi) on EV mode only. How can I start the car making sure the ICE doesn't kick in when I press the start button?
3) Speaking of, I just tried to do a short trip and I could only do something like 0.3mi before ICE started. I had turned the heater off and the battery was about half. That seems short, is this normal?
4) Last question, is there a difference between AUTO climate control and manual in terms of how often ICE is used? I'm wondering about the heating case: Imagine I set it to 70F (with AC off) AUTO versus manual with the fan speed turned at the lowest setting.

1. First maintenance will be due around 10K miles. It's only an oil change, so, yes.
2. You can't unless it's warm out, you have good SOC and you barely press the throttle. Otherwise, the engine will kick in and will run until it gets to operating temperature.
3. Yes. Normal. See aforementioned answer (#2).
4. No difference. A/C has no direct effect, but the heater is directly related. ICE will run while cabin is being heated regardless of auto/manual. The only exception to this is to use passive heating, but you've got to be constantly moving for it to work effectively.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
1. First maintenance will be due around 10K miles. It's only an oil change, so, yes.
2. You can't unless it's warm out, you have good SOC and you barely press the throttle. Otherwise, the engine will kick in and will run until it gets to operating temperature.
3. Yes. Normal. See aforementioned answer (#2).
4. No difference. A/C has no direct effect, but the heater is directly related. ICE will run while cabin is being heated regardless of auto/manual. The only exception to this is to use passive heating, but you've got to be constantly moving for it to work effectively.
A few thoughts (and thread references ) to build on comments above:

1 - The maintenance minder will let you know when/what action is needed. Oil change is the first maintenance that should come up, and will appear at 15% oil life remaining. The oil life calculation is an indirect/inferred measure, and seems to be based on time (~1 year) for lower mileage (<10k mi/yr) drivers, and distance based (~10k miles) for higher mileage drivers.
- First oil change - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/15...il-change.html
2 - In cooler temps, it takes a bit of stars/moon aligning to start and run in EV only. Some things that can help maximize chances for this:
- starting from a warm car (e.g. garaged or warmer outside temps)
- starting with climate control off (i.e. remember to turn off climate control before shutting car down and parking)
- starting with high/full HV battery level (i.e. high battery charge before parking/shut down)
- minimizing and/or easing into throttle use (i.e. baby the accelerator, stay in the lower half of the 'blue' range, etc)
- trying to engage EV mode immediately (i.e. press EV button at start; not always the right temperature/battery conditions to engage)
The basic gist is to minimize/prevent factors that would otherwise cause the gas engine (ICE) to kick in, because there's a minimum run time for it (and fuel efficiency hit) once it first engages from cold start. There are lots of good mpg/EV related threads throughout the forum, but here are a few to get you started:
- EV Mode - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/26...d-ev-mode.html
- ICE Running - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/15...s-ice-run.html
3 - On cold start (and in cold weather), once the ICE starts, there is a minimum run time for it. I don't know the algorithm or specifics controlling the duration, but it's noticeably longer than other times the ICE runs. If climate control was on and it was cold out, the ICE likely started and continued to run (consuming gas) for its minimum duration. Another possibility is that the throttle was engaged aggressively, which in turn engaged the ICE which then ran for its minimum duration. Eco mode dampens throttle movement, which is part of what helps with fuel efficiency.
- EV Unavailable - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/15...available.html
- EV Distance - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/26...-distance.html
4 - One difference is that depending on temperature difference, "AUTO" could override your fan setting and consume a little more battery energy (and require ICE sooner?) to get to the temperature set point target. Some thoughts and options for temperature/ICE management are in the following threads:
- Climate Control Tips - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/29...ficiently.html
- Passive Heat/Cool - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/29...g-cooling.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page