How to Use Remote Engine Start - a Full Explanation - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

How to Use Remote Engine Start - a Full Explanation

The Guide Manual is no help. The Owners Manual is very little help. But this video, if you haven't seen it, is quite helpful:

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/in...e-Engine-Start
ElHector661 likes this.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Sorry, how do I do this?

"Up to 800 feet (line of sight) away, I can turn on AC or heat (depending on summer or winter) with remote to get the car down to (or up to) a 72 degree temp."
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
On remote, hit lock button twice, then press and hold the remote start button. Turn signals will flash to indicate it's starting. It will run for 15 minutes and turn off if you don't enter the car.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenbro View Post
Sorry, how do I do this?

"Up to 800 feet (line of sight) away, I can turn on AC or heat (depending on summer or winter) with remote to get the car down to (or up to) a 72 degree temp."
Attached is how it reads from the manual, available for EX and Touring models. The "remote start" button is the bottom left button in the shape of a 'circular arrow.' It's helpful for warming or cooling the car (targets 72F) while keeping the car safely locked. It stays running for up to 10 minutes, and can be extended with some extra button presses. Dealer websites quote 400 ft as the range for remote start, but YMMV with fob/battery and path to car's receiver.

In warm weather, you may also want to roll down the windows before entering OR instead of using remote start. Pressing and holding the 'unlock' button twice on the remote will remote-open all windows (plus moonroof on Touring). Rolling up the windows is done manually from inside the car OR turning and holding the physical key in the driver's door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remote start.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	3078   Click image for larger version

Name:	windows.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	3080  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
On remote, hit lock button twice, then press and hold the remote start button. Turn signals will flash to indicate it's starting. It will run for 15 minutes and turn off if you don't enter the car.
No need to hit lock button twice.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
No need to hit lock button twice.
Sorry. I'm still parroting what the dealer told me. I see, in the manual, one only needs to hit lock once.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:38 PM

Perfect. Thanks!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Garage
Is there any other indication that the car remote started other than the lights? If you are parked in a crowded parking lot and cannot see your vehicle but think you are within 400 feet away and try to remote started it, you have no way of knowing if it worked?

In my experience the car remote starts off the battery, so the car remains almost silent.

Last edited by jeffreyrdubois; 08-14-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyrdubois View Post
Is there any other indication that the car remote started other than the lights? If you are parked in a crowded parking lot and cannot see your vehicle but think you are within 400 feet away and try to remote started it, you have no way of knowing if it worked?

In my experience the car remote starts off the battery, so the car remains almost silent.
You are correct! You just have to hope the car picked up the signal. I have only had my Insight for 3 months but use the remote start 99% of the time. In these 3 months, the remote start may not have connected only 4 or 5 times and that was in crowded, busy lots.

Every day is a gift. Make the best of it!
2019 Insight EX. Purchased 05/2019
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyrdubois View Post

Exterior light flash (6x on, 1x off) is the only setting for confirmation of remote start. It's designed/advertised to work within 100 feet, per the video in post #1, but YMMV depending on fob battery state and surrounding buildings/cars.

Remote start won't always start off the battery. It will depend on environmental and battery level conditions. In warm weather with enough battery, A/C is electrically powered and may run on the battery alone. In cold weather, you'll likely hear the ICE start because heating is not electrically powered.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page