Winter MPG? Cold Weather Mileage Decrease? - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 49Likes

post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Winter MPG? Cold Weather Mileage Decrease?

I am from Canada and I am starting to see my milage drop about 20% as the cold weather sets in.

Is everyone else in a cold region experiencing the same thing?

More energy is needed now to heat the cabin, and we have winter grade gas up here. My snow tires go on next week and I assume I will see a slight loss in milage there as well.

I have tracked almost every fill up on fully.com and can be viewed below.

post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I agree the winter fuel, cabin heat and the longer time needed to bring the engine up to operating temperature drastically affect MPG numbers. I'm curious to know how long your regular commute is. I have found the most significant impact is for short drives. My 50-mile drive to work is still in the range of the numbers I was getting during the summer.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thack View Post
My snow tires go on next week and I assume I will see a slight loss in milage there as well.
Hi from a fellow Canadian

See my post here https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-...-strategy.html

If you haven't bought the tires yet, try winter alloy lightweight rim, using minus sizes narrower low rolling resistance winter tires like the X-Ice.
Minimize your fuel efficiency drop
post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

I always run in econo mode. I see you are from New Jersey.....not the cold temps yet that we have here in Canada. Close to freezing right now where I am located. My drive to work is 11 miles. Half city, half highway. I run in econo mode and seldom ever do any fast acceleration.

Every weekend I Put about 200 miles on the highway driving to the cottage and back....60 mph highway. I would say 80 % of my weekly drive is at 55 to 60 mph on the open highway.

I will double check my tire pressure. I am taking it in next week for snow tires and first oil change.
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Are you using premium gas to get those results on Fuelly? I only use the cheap stuff.
post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I use regular gas. I think the biggest benefit, along with the length of the drive, is that 90% of it is on 45mph country roads. That's pretty much the sweet spot for mpg. I got 65mpg on my way home today from Princeton to Phillipsburg New Jersey. This is a pretty significant elevation change. I only got 63mpg going to work this morning on the same route. It was much colder this morning (40F (with cabin heater on) vs. 62F (with cabin heater off) on the way home), and I got lower mpg on a trip with an elevation decrease while driving essentially the same speeds.
mgldan likes this.

Last edited by hasarad; 11-07-2018 at 07:03 PM.
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

I agree with you on your two points. I also noticed longer trips brings the average consumption down and 40 to 45 mph is the sweet spot for fuel efficiency.

I will often coast down hills or let off on the accelerator if I see a red light in the distance.

I want to try a tank of premium to see if it makes much of a difference.

Your results are impressive, probably the best on fuelly.
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:36 AM

Also from Canada and now that the temps have dropped drastically, so has my mileage. It could also be related to the winter tires I put on at the same time as my last fill-up. According to the car my mileage has gone from 5.8 litres/100 km to 7.8 litres/100 km. I can't do an accurate check until my next fill-up. The winter tires were from my previous Kia Optima and are also 17 inch and on after market alloy mags. For sure, the increased use of cabin heat, seat heaters etc must impact the mileage. I also noticed that although the car still switches to EV automatically as usual, I can't go full electric whenever the heater is functioning since it uses engine heat. My trips are also just short jaunts to the local stores so no long trips. That doesn't help either.
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It's sad that I say this, but I'm kind of obsessed with not killing my MPG to the point I wear a jacket and gloves so I don't need to run the heat as much. Am I the only one?

post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterb View Post
Also from Canada and now that the temps have dropped drastically, so has my mileage. It could also be related to the winter tires I put on at the same time as my last fill-up. According to the car my mileage has gone from 5.8 litres/100 km to 7.8 litres/100 km. I can't do an accurate check until my next fill-up. The winter tires were from my previous Kia Optima and are also 17 inch and on after market alloy mags. For sure, the increased use of cabin heat, seat heaters etc must impact the mileage. I also noticed that although the car still switches to EV automatically as usual, I can't go full electric whenever the heater is functioning since it uses engine heat. My trips are also just short jaunts to the local stores so no long trips. That doesn't help either.
Are your old Kia tires low rolling resistance? That would account for several MPG of decrease if not. The alloy wheels' weight factors in too. I toyed with getting winter tires and rims (Michelin Ice-X LRR tires and cheap alloys), but I'm able to work from home in bad weather, so I decided not to this year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page