Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

3700 miles so far

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  andrew28 
#1 ·
Been gone for a while... but back with info and questions...

Got my new Insight in early December. Now have 3700 miles on it, mostly in town but some trips too. I am VERY happy with this car...
Overall, fuel economy has been better than I expected. I have been able to get as much as 66 mpg per tank. Normally around 55 average per tank but paradoxically, the worse traffic is, the better the mileage. More chance to regenerate with braking... ;-)
Trips (like 300+ freeway miles) have been more like 48-50, and that's with AZ speed limits of 75.
Handling and braking are excellent.
Comfort is quite good, although lumbar support is lacking, so I added a lumbar cushion under the seat covers I got at Costco. Coverking wetsuit, blue/black. Very nice, easy to install, perfect fit, look really good.
Sound system is adequate for .FLAC from my phone or SiriusXM, but nothing special.
I've gotten to really like the steering assist feature, too. At first it was a bit strange but I've found that with a light grip and just nudging the steering, it will follow the road really nicely. A good fatigue buster for longer trips.
Very glad I bought this car!

See less See more
#3 ·
LKAS hack (but PLEASE don't try this at home). Jam a water bottle in the lower part of the steering wheel, and you can drive hands-free without being warned that steering is required. I just wanted to see if it would work, and it did. FYI - Attachment not my car, just representation of the hack.

Again, don't try it yourself. This is for "informational" purposes only.

Attachments

#4 ·
LKAS hack (but PLEASE don't try this at home). Jam a water bottle in the lower part of the steering wheel, and you can drive hands-free without being warned that steering is required.
Sometimes I get the warning even when my hand is already on the lower part of the steering wheel (I keep my right hand in the six-o'-clock position). The road just really is that straight, Honda!

#5 ·
I am at 3800 miles mark as well so I wanted to write something here get some views. How come people are getting at least 50s in mpg but I am getting 47 max? I have been questioning my driving habit but I really try not to be hard on gas on accelerations and I try hard on using the regen braking. My avg city to highway driving percentage ratio is 55 / 45%. What am I doing wrong? Do people do some tricks here that I am not aware :grin: ? What's your tire pressure for ex.? I always use the recommended PSI inside the door.

#7 ·
Speed and terrain can impact mpg. The EPA highway ratings are based on 60 mph, so you should expect to see lower number if driving at speeds over that since the gas engine will be running. The gas engine also triggers on hills/climbs, which will consume gas. Do either of these apply to your driving situation (e.g. frequent/big hills on 55% city driving and/or >60 mph speeds on 45% highway driving)?

Separately @hasarad gets great mpg and mentioned in 'what tire pressure are you running at' thread 40 psi in all corners. He also has an 'ideal drive' which includes rolling (vs steep) hills and low traffic.

#6 ·
I have a Touring model and the EPA estimates are 51 City / 45 Hwy MPG and 48 MPG combined. That's what I was averaging until I reached about 4000 Miles. After that point, the car really started getting improved Mileage. I broke 50 MPG combined and then 53, 55 and my last tank fill up, I got 57.48 MPG. I went 540 miles on 9.395 Gallons. Give it a little bit more break in time and just try to ease up on acceleration and use the Regen Paddles when braking. I also inflated front tires to 40 psi and rear to 38 psi. I have a little over 6000 miles now and my oil life is at 50%. Don't change the original oil until 10 to 15% Oil life remaining. Anything like Heat, Seat Heaters and AC I use sparingly but I don't let it get uncomfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.