New member: Trying to sell my Accord... - 2019 Honda Insight Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

New member: Trying to sell my Accord...

Hey all!

Like the title says! I'm brand new to the forum and couldn't be more excited about the Insight! If it was my choice, I'd be getting a Tesla Model 3 but unfortunately life happens and some screw up's happened with taxes so we've got IRS taking up more than a car payment for a few years....but I digress.

I've got a 2010 Honda Accord I'm trying to private sell in the DC area. The dealer quoted me under KBB trade in price and instant cash offer, I was quite upset about that... I've maintained the car myself and kept extremely good care of it. I'm looking to get in a 1 year used Insight with low miles. Right now I've got a few options in the area but I'd like to sell my car first... I've got a new job commute that takes up about anywhere from 64-80 miles a day depending on traffic... Insight Touring fit the bill on this one!

I'll keep you guys updated on selling my accord and then picking up the insight. I'm hoping to have the car by Thanksgiving....
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck with the private sale. Realistically, spring/summer is the best time to sell a used car, but people still need cars in fall/winter.

Have you been able to test drive the Insight Touring a few times? Assuming the majority of your 64-80 mile drive is highway, keep in mind that the EPA-quoted mpg for the Insight is at city speeds of ~45 mph and highway speeds of ~60 mph. Highway speeds >70 mph will reduce fuel efficiency further, due to the extent to which the gas engine drives the wheels. However the Insight excels in stop/go city traffic, with city mpg beating highway mpg.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttelz View Post
Hey all!

Like the title says! I'm brand new to the forum and couldn't be more excited about the Insight! If it was my choice, I'd be getting a Tesla Model 3 but unfortunately life happens and some screw up's happened with taxes so we've got IRS taking up more than a car payment for a few years....but I digress.

I've got a 2010 Honda Accord I'm trying to private sell in the DC area. The dealer quoted me under KBB trade in price and instant cash offer, I was quite upset about that... I've maintained the car myself and kept extremely good care of it. I'm looking to get in a 1 year used Insight with low miles. Right now I've got a few options in the area but I'd like to sell my car first... I've got a new job commute that takes up about anywhere from 64-80 miles a day depending on traffic... Insight Touring fit the bill on this one!

I'll keep you guys updated on selling my accord and then picking up the insight. I'm hoping to have the car by Thanksgiving....
You don't have to trade in the accord to get the KBB instant cash offer, just fill out the form, and find a participating dealer and contact them. It may be in your benefit to not hassle on trade and price. Also you aren't terribly far from Virginia @insightfully will correct me if I'm wrong, but they have historically had the best priced Insights in the US.

2019 Insight EX, Aegean Blue (Owned by my someday wife)
General Automotive knowledge, Degree in Autobody, worked in Electronics for the past 10 years.
Retired Professional Car Audio Competitor. Avid knowledge buff, always researching something.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, Virginia is one of the states where forum members have quoted the lowest OTD price on Touring trim (~27k OTD), including:
- Illinois - @autotech
- Oklahoma - @FrisbeeGolfer
- North Carolina - @JK919
- Virginia - @Marvin Martinez
- Texas - @kaseyintx
- Tennessee - @cganesh
- Maryland - @BlueSerenity

EX buyers in Virginia have done well on lowest OTD pricing across the country as well.

Likely not related (but can't hurt...), the IIHS testing facility is in Virginia and they buy cars locally for their crash testing. Maybe their purchase volume helps the pricing for the area.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
@matttelz Give Carmax a try. They will give you a quote valid for 7 days which you can shop around. Sold my 09 Civic to them and I had a good experience. Appraisal took about an hour, was given a fair offer, and got the check 30 minutes later.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
@matttelz Give Carmax a try. They will give you a quote valid for 7 days which you can shop around. Sold my 09 Civic to them and I had a good experience. Appraisal took about an hour, was given a fair offer, and got the check 30 minutes later.
I'd like to second the recommendation for Carmax. I've sold 2 different cars there and it's been a painless process each time.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Hey all! I'm back with AMAZING news!

SOLD my accord! A friend from our Church we attend started a new job and he needed a car before Monday...walla, worked out perfect for us both! AANNNNNDDD made a deal with a local dealer on a white touring 2020 with 5 miles on it.

I'm loving the car so far! Only bug I'm trying to work through right now is the digital tach where it only shows in KMH and not in MPH...kinda frustrating but maybe it'll take Honda a software update to fix? I've tried some trouble shooting on it and haven't been able to fix it...

Taking a road trip with it later this week! Couldn't be better timing! I'm hoping for some amazing MPG! I checked the tires this AM and the dealer pumped them upto 30psi...fail. So fixed that!

Can't wait to test out the LKA and ACC. Obviously not Tesla Autopilot but I've heard good things...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 10:56 AM

Garage
Congratulations on the sale of the Accord and purchase of your '20 Insight Touring! Hope your road trip goes well later this week.

Regarding your mention of the digital tach, I believe you mean the speedometer. The Insight does not have a tachometer. Lots of others have mentioned their disappointment in the fact that the US digital odometer is only available with KPH. We all find this odd! Honda did the reverse on the Japanese Insight. Their digital option is in MPH, not KPH. We all think it is a simple fix of Honda sending out a software upgrade but so far not happening. Oh well, maybe one day in the near future, Honda will pay attention to our "simple pleasure desires".

Every day is a gift. Make the best of it!
2019 Insight EX. Purchased 05/2019
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Congratulations! Wait, you got it WET? Nooooo!

I kid. Congratulations. White Insights rule. As for the KPH vs. MPH, we're stuck with that. My wife's '18 Civic was a digital speedo. I actually prefer the analog dial in the Insight. It just seems more... classy. Then again, I'm old.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

As others have mentioned, unfortunately the US model gets KPH and the Canadian model gets MPH digital reading. We hoped this would be fixed on the 2020 model, but owners confirmed it is the same 'feature' design/configuration as the 2019 model.

Digital Speedometer - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/29...eedometer.html
2020 vs 2019 Observations - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/25496-post45.html
Not a perfect substitute for the DII view... but if you use Waze, @andrew28 shared that the digital MPH has now been added to CarPlay and will display on the infotainment screen. Android Auto also displays MPH while driving.

Waze Speedometer - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/48...d-carplay.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page