New 2019 Touring owner! - Page 2 - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 2Likes

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
I found the above information for people storing new oil and what to check before using.
This might work for a larger sample of stored oil, but I don't think all those characteristics are distinguishable on just the few drops coating the dipstick...
andrew28 likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
This might work for a larger sample of stored oil, but I don't think all those characteristics are distinguishable on just the few drops coating the dipstick...
It's been a long day... I forgot the dipstick only pulls a small amount of oil.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Picked up the seat cover today, along w/ the paper on what services they performed on Jan 2nd. Battery replacement, a OBD II scan to check for any faults, cleared a leftover low voltage code from the initial dead battery on January 1, checked fluid levels, and reset service minders. The car had 11 miles on it.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeweight View Post
Picked up the seat cover today, along w/ the paper on what services they performed on Jan 2nd. Battery replacement, a OBD II scan to check for any faults, cleared a leftover low voltage code from the initial dead battery on January 1, checked fluid levels, and reset service minders. The car had 11 miles on it.
So it sounds like they just reset the oil life indicator and didn't change the oil. I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing. Maximum recommended time between oil changes is 1 year due to oil degradation, even with low use/mileage. For higher mileage drivers, oil life has hit 15% at ~10k miles.

Given the circumstances, I'd suggest erring on the side of earlier oil change than indicated for this first one (6 mo / 5k miles?). Maybe you can see if the dealer will give you a free first oil change, given how long the car was on lot.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

More positive than negative, I think.

Coming from a marine/power equipment background, the recommended oil service intervals there (1 year or 100 hours for Honda outboards) are less because the oil degrades just from sitting, more because engines that are used infrequently, or for short periods, tend to not get up to full operating temperature and end up with more contaminants in the oil (like unburnt fuel and water vapor/condensation). With cars this dynamic would probably be worse (like the problems w/ fuel contamination Honda had early on w/ the 1.5 turbo engines in CRV's.)

Probably some degradation of in this oil from oxidation, but the crank case is sealed so hopefully that is limited. Also good that the factory fill is a full synthetic, as they tend to be more stable. And this vehicle literally lived in the showroom it's entire life. Taking it out for a test drive involved re-arranging all their furniture and cubicles to get it out.

I rack up about 15k a year on my commuter vehicles... I may just let this initial oil go to 5k, then change it.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I rack up about 15k a year on my commuter vehicles... I may just let this initial oil go to 5k, then change it.
If I had a place to do my own oil change. I would just dump it(for peace of mind) and use the Idemitsu Zepro w/Moly as my break in oil instead of the old factory oil. After that switch back to whatever oil you prefer using.

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
If I had a place to do my own oil change. I would just dump it(for peace of mind) and use the Idemitsu Zepro w/Moly as my break in oil instead of the old factory oil. After that switch back to whatever oil you prefer using.
I think I'd still try to get the dealer to take some ownership in this. It seems unfair that a 'new' car needs extra maintenance/cost due to time spent on lot before purchase.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
I think I'd still try to get the dealer to take some ownership in this. It seems unfair that a 'new' car needs extra maintenance/cost due to time spent on lot before purchase.
I would ask them to give me an oil change voucher for later use and still go with the idemitsu w/moly for engine break in purposes.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
More positive than negative, I think.

Coming from a marine/power equipment background, the recommended oil service intervals there (1 year or 100 hours for Honda outboards) are less because the oil degrades just from sitting, more because engines that are used infrequently, or for short periods, tend to not get up to full operating temperature and end up with more contaminants in the oil (like unburnt fuel and water vapor/condensation). With cars this dynamic would probably be worse (like the problems w/ fuel contamination Honda had early on w/ the 1.5 turbo engines in CRV's.)

Probably some degradation of in this oil from oxidation, but the crank case is sealed so hopefully that is limited. Also good that the factory fill is a full synthetic, as they tend to be more stable. And this vehicle literally lived in the showroom it's entire life. Taking it out for a test drive involved re-arranging all their furniture and cubicles to get it out.

Welcome fellow Oregonian! I'm on the South Coast in the Coos Bay / North Bend area.

I got my gen 3 Insight EX "Rally Racer" in mid Feb. '19 and really love it. My wife has a '14 gen 2 Insight. Bought it new at discounted price after sitting on the (Honda World) dealer lot for months. I asked and they said they ran it every month or two, and there were no problems at delivery. Honda World has treated me very well, much better than the pushy greedyness of other dealers.

Thank you for information sharing above about oil.

Lots of sharing all over this site about all kinds of interesting topics. My favorite being driving style and mpg.

Enjoy ! and Welcome !

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:01 AM

Welcome to the forum! Hope you love that baby!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page