10k Mile Review 2019 LX - 2019 Honda Insight Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

10k Mile Review 2019 LX

I bought this car in June and it has been overall a excellent fit for my usage. I am being overly critical here to highlight some of the tings good and bad that prospective owners might want to hear about. I am also always looking for advise on remedying the issues I have encountered. I have added dark tinted windows and a subwoofer in the spare tire well. I had to disconnect the noise cancelling module for the subwoofer to function properly.

Dislikes: trunk does not pop open, road noise, small rattles in vent, hard for elderly passengers to get in and out, doors seem sticky and hard to open/close, trunk does not always shut easily, push button transmission, too low for parking humps, fuel light comes on too early, high revs on inclines at times, automatic brights almost got me in a fight, engine rough on cold start... sometimes.

Likes: Interior is very nice, HUD is very functional, trunk space, Sport Mode actually makes a noticeable difference, angelic noise it makes when in EV, sensing features, handling characteristics,

Mileage, I get an average of 46 mpg, which is great (I tend to drive 80 on the freeway), that really eats into it. I have tried to get better mileage and was able to get 62 mpg average on a 100 mile trip. Anticipating stops and trying to run in EV as long as I can really does make a difference.

The car handles well and has a stiff ride. At high speeds the Civic roots really shine through.

Questions I have for other owners:

Is there a workaround for the trunk?

Rough running on startup, have others had this issue?

How does the HP rating work? I understand the engine couples at freeway speeds and the power flow on HUD indicates this with a gear symbol. Is the total output 107hp rather than 151hp? Since the icu is generally not engaged during normal acceleration it is really only capable of attaining the full hp rating at highway speeds since the icu is not engaged. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks! I hope you all enjoying this car!
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:53 AM

I have 11k miles on my TOURING trim (I bought in July 2019). The passenger A-pillar and passenger door (something is rattling or loose in there). I have to go into a Audio Shop have them line that area bc the rattles annoy the heck out of me.

Also, going 76mph I get 39.9mpg.

Going around town I get 51mpg daily (slow driving).

So far soo good.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonground1 View Post
I had to disconnect the noise cancelling module for the subwoofer to function properly.

Dislikes: trunk does not pop open, road noise, small rattles in vent, hard for elderly passengers to get in and out, doors seem sticky and hard to open/close, trunk does not always shut easily, push button transmission, too low for parking humps, fuel light comes on too early, high revs on inclines at times, automatic brights almost got me in a fight, engine rough on cold start... sometimes.

Likes: Interior is very nice, HUD is very functional, trunk space, Sport Mode actually makes a noticeable difference, angelic noise it makes when in EV, sensing features, handling characteristics,

Mileage, I get an average of 46 mpg, which is great (I tend to drive 80 on the freeway), that really eats into it. I have tried to get better mileage and was able to get 62 mpg average on a 100 mile trip. Anticipating stops and trying to run in EV as long as I can really does make a difference.

The car handles well and has a stiff ride. At high speeds the Civic roots really shine through.

Questions I have for other owners:

How does the HP rating work? I understand the engine couples at freeway speeds and the power flow on HUD indicates this with a gear symbol. Is the total output 107hp rather than 151hp? Since the icu is generally not engaged during normal acceleration it is really only capable of attaining the full hp rating at highway speeds since the icu is not engaged. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks! I hope you all enjoying this car!
  • @Verdier mentioned disconnecting the noise cancelling module will result in more road noise.
  • Rattles in the air vent? If so try cycling through the different fan modes.
  • @carbuff bought the Insight because it was easier to exit and enter than his Audi A5 due to medical issues. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/25...html#post16030 How are your passengers entering the car? I usually sit down and then swivel my feet inside instead of going one foot in first.
  • I like the hard to close doors mainly for windy days. On my older Civic it can be a struggle to keep the door open on windy days to put things inside.
  • I do agree with you on the trunk not fully opening by itself and sometime takes an extra try to close it since I don't want to slam it shut. If you're having trouble closing it even with force then you need to have the dealership take a look at it since it might be mistakenly detecting your keyfob. The trunk won't close if it thinks your keyfob is inside the trunk.
  • I love the look and space saving of the push button transmission. It takes awhile to adjust to but you normally only interact with it at the beginning/end of a trip. The only negative I can think of is that you can't do a 3 point turn as quickly.
  • Most of us have already scraped the underside of the car(count me as one of them). The Insight is low to the ground for stability, safety, and fuel efficiency purposes.
  • I actually haven't seen the empty fuel light once cause I usually fuel up after using around 6 gallons which can last me 3-4 weeks(low mileage driver).
  • The engine revs you hear is totally disconnected from the speed you're going with this car. This youtube video does a good job explaining it.
  • You're not the first person here to report about the auto high beams getting you into trouble. I suggest disabling the auto high beams if you're using the Auto setting for headlights or use the manual headlight option(which is what I use).
  • The rough idle is discussed in this thread. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/15...misfire-7.html This could be the answer for the rough idle. https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/15...html#post27308
  • I assume to get max HP you would need to be in sport mode with the battery near full. Found a link on how to calculate the HP and Torque on a hybrid car. https://plugincarworld.com/how-to-ca...-a-hybrid-car/

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Last edited by andrew28; 11-03-2019 at 03:15 AM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
No known workaround for the trunk not 'popping' open, but you're in good company on this as others have commented on this as a feedback point for Honda. Would be interested if someone compared trunk opening on a GenX Civic and GenX Accord to see if they have a spring release (like older Hondas do) or if they're also like the Insight.

Also be thankful that you're at least able to close the trunk (even with force) versus issue that some have experienced with trunk not staying closed OR causing security alarm to go off - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/28...ay-closed.html

Quote:
Assuming you're referring to roughness at startup with gas engine, several of us have been discussing and theorizing reasons in the following thread - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/15...e-misfire.html

The vibration is primarily associated with the gas engine running (never while on electric engine) and mainly seems to occur when engine is cold (or even after warm start). Ambient temperatures and/or climate control demand triggering the gas engine at start up also seem to be triggers. I'm hoping that we gather enough data and/or reports of this across the forum to report back to Honda so it becomes a known issue for Honda to fix or explain.

Quote:
The hp, torque, and rpm output varies depending on whether the gas or electric (or both) are running as sole power. Once the HV battery is low/depleted and the gas engine is the only power source, the Insight's peak power is 'only' 107 hp and 99 lb-ft torque. When only the gas engine is running as sole power, it's a lower HP, lower torque, and higher RPM output:

GAS ENGINE ONLY = In-Line 4-Cylinder
107 HP @6000 RPM -- 99 lb-ft torque @5000 RPM

ELECTRIC MOTOR ONLY = AC Synch Magnet
129 HP @4000-8000 RPM -- 197 lb-ft torque @0-3000 RPM

TOTAL SYSTEM = peak concurrent output of the 2 electric motors & gas engine (**the RPMs for combined condition are guesstimated)
151 HP @6000 RPM** -- 197 lb-ft torque @0-3000 RPM**

Also for calibration on terminology, I think HUD (head-up display) is typically used to describe the projector-like display onto the windshield within the driver's natural range of view to allow them to keep their "head up" while driving. The Insight has a Drivers Information Interface (DII) behind the steering wheel, and an infotainment screen (aka head unit) in the center area. Some ways to add an aftermarket HUD to the Insight are suggested in the following thread - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/29...p-display.html
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I found a solution for the trunk. We can mod our trunk with a hydraulic rod.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Trunk-...-/264469504032
^For the Civic but I think our trunk is the exact same as the Civic.

Youtube video installation on the Accord.

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Last edited by andrew28; 11-03-2019 at 08:54 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
I found a solution for the trunk. We can mod our trunk with a hydraulic rod.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Trunk-...-/264469504032
^For the Civic but I think our trunk is the exact same as the Civic.
Seems like a step back, as the trunk used to move to more of an open position naturally on Hondas. I can't imagine that the trunk door is heavier, and if it's a common issue across the Insight and other models, it seems that Honda's 'new' spring/opening design is what's changed and/or flawed.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
Seems like a step back, as the trunk used to move to more of an open position naturally on Hondas. I can't imagine that the trunk door is heavier, and if it's a common issue across the Insight and other models, it seems that Honda's 'new' spring/opening design is what's changed and/or flawed.
From what I remember of my 09 Civic the trunk does open a little more than the Insight but I would still need to lift it to fully open. I doubt it's a new design or flaw more like intentional cost cutting by the bean counters.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 06:40 PM

Garage
I wonder, I'll have to look, I know in my first gen Neon's, the trunk spring had 3 attachment points, and you could adjust how tight the spring was (how much it "popped" open).

2019 Insight EX, Aegean Blue (Owned by my someday wife)
General Automotive knowledge, Degree in Autobody, worked in Electronics for the past 10 years.
Retired Professional Car Audio Competitor. Avid knowledge buff, always researching something.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
From what I remember of my 09 Civic the trunk does open a little more than the Insight but I would still need to lift it to fully open. I doubt it's a new design or flaw more like intentional cost cutting by the bean counters.
I still have my 90s Honda and it certainly opens more. I can at least see the trunk raised and/or not level, while the Insight's trunk pretty much stays in the same position when open or closed.

I foresee battery drain problems coming if I use the interior trunk release but maybe walk away or forget I did that... which would be tragic on this battery-sensitive car. The 'visual' part of seeing a trunk light or ajar trunk lid is gone on the Insight.

Hoping the spring adjustments @Wifey'sInsight is checking, pan out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
I still have my 90s Honda and it certainly opens more. I can at least see the trunk raised and/or not level, while the Insight's trunk pretty much stays in the same position when open or closed.

I foresee battery drain problems coming if I use the interior trunk release but maybe walk away or forget I did that... which would be tragic on this battery-sensitive car. The 'visual' part of seeing a trunk light or ajar trunk lid is gone on the Insight.

Hoping the spring adjustments @Wifey'sInsight is checking, pan out.
Unfortunately the Insight doesn't look to use springs at all, if I had to guess it's not actually designed to move more than what the trunk seals push up on it. It's been too cold and I haven't had enough daylight record from inside the trunk to see if anything else is at play.

2019 Insight EX, Aegean Blue (Owned by my someday wife)
General Automotive knowledge, Degree in Autobody, worked in Electronics for the past 10 years.
Retired Professional Car Audio Competitor. Avid knowledge buff, always researching something.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page