That Horrible Engine Roar - Page 7 - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 34Likes

post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:05 PM

Back in Feb. '19 when I took a test drive, a first impression was how very quiet this gen 3 Insight is! I also noticed the oddity of when the engine was on/off or low/high rpm. Later after buying it and driving for awhile, that oddity feeling gradually faded away; as I came to think of the gen 3 as an electric car that carries around its own gasoline powered generator! With this new way of thinking, engine noise has gotten lost in the enjoyment of XM music, or calm/peaceful conversation with passengers.

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey'sInsight View Post
Honestly, you get used to it while under load pretty quickly. Especially if you've ever driven any car with a cvt. It's just a stark contrast from how quiet the insight usually is. It's a small motor, and rev's quite high.
I agree. Today I was riding in the 2019 CR-V and noticed how loud it was. I realized that is "sounds" like it struggles on the same hills as the Insight. The primary difference is that the CR-V always has some engine noise whereas the Insight does not.

As for the Insight, I think I'm more bothered by the fact that the engine kicks in than the sound. The sound isn't that bad but its a reminder that the engine is on and I want the car to always be in EV mode... this is unrealistic of course but its nice to have a dream
hasarad, Moviemike and Mobilcams like this.

2019 Cosmic Blue Honda Insight Touring #25,974 (Mfd: 01/19 Bought: 06/19)
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would like to see Honda replace the Clarity and bring the fully loaded Japanese Insight over here to compete against the Prius Prime with a bigger battery.
Wifey'sInsight likes this.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:34 PM

Just to update, I just purchased my first brand new car.. 2019 Insight Touring 😛

Went back and forth between the Insight and a used Mazda 3 GT. Almost closed the deal on the Mazda but the last test drive and a few details the dealership omitted made the deal go sideways. The Mazda was closer to my last car (Audi A3) but just didn’t feel a good enough replacement/upgrade so I went with the Insight 🙂

Took my dad for a test drive in the Insight, and the smile on his face compared with the Mazda sealed the deal for me. He wasn’t bothered by the droning, which leads me to think I should stay away from this forum otherwise I’ll keep reading about things that will bother me with the car lol 😛

Cheers
andrew28 and Square Eyes like this.
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitguyy View Post
Took my dad for a test drive in the Insight, and the smile on his face compared with the Mazda sealed the deal for me. He wasnít bothered by the droning, which leads me to think I should stay away from this forum otherwise Iíll keep reading about things that will bother me with the car lol
Actually... you sound like the majority of us forum members who've now owned the car for the while and aren't bothered by the noise reviewers complain about (because there's little else for them to find?). Congrats on your purchase!
Moviemike likes this.
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:32 PM

So I just did a trip from dc to Pittsburgh lastnight and the engine noise was let's say...less favorable. I had the car in sport mode mostly but that was because I enjoyed the immediate regen down hills. The strange thing was once the battery was full and I was going down a long hill without any throttle the engine freaking roared like I was engine braking down the hill the entire way. I thought that was so strange. I'm hoping on the way back Normal mode won't do that. I also like sport mode because it maintains a higher soc on the battery than normal or econ.

I'm wondering if some heavy duty sound dampening material on the engine firewall would reduce some of the low frequency noise...
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 05:41 PM

I did a few trips over Donner summit pass of 7200 feet (Sierra Nevada mountains)from Reno to Sacramento and back. What is interesting for me is that annoyance for my brain was more in relation to by pressing gas pedal and increased engine noise not corresponding with speed of vehicle linear way but after I started using adaptive cruise control it stopped annoyance. Automation does better job than my foot.Most of times I use normal driving mode.My average millage going 70MPH is 45MPG for both ways.My engine does not roar at all going downhill.That is new to me.
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If your battery gets topped off, the Insight needs to put the regen energy somewhere, and that's through engine braking. It will get noticeably worse of the battery is topped off and you use the paddles to jack up regen - there's no place for it to go.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttelz View Post
So I just did a trip from dc to Pittsburgh lastnight and the engine noise was let's say...less favorable. I had the car in sport mode mostly but that was because I enjoyed the immediate regen down hills. The strange thing was once the battery was full and I was going down a long hill without any throttle the engine freaking roared like I was engine braking down the hill the entire way. I thought that was so strange. I'm hoping on the way back Normal mode won't do that. I also like sport mode because it maintains a higher soc on the battery than normal or econ.

I'm wondering if some heavy duty sound dampening material on the engine firewall would reduce some of the low frequency noise...
It was!! Hit the gas "feather foot will keep you in EV" and make a free mph run at the next hill !!

2019 Pearl White Insight
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttelz View Post
So I just did a trip from dc to Pittsburgh last night and the engine noise was let's say...less favorable. I had the car in sport mode mostly but that was because I enjoyed the immediate regen down hills. The strange thing was once the battery was full and I was going down a long hill without any throttle the engine freaking roared like I was engine braking down the hill the entire way. I thought that was so strange. I'm hoping on the way back Normal mode won't do that. I also like sport mode because it maintains a higher soc on the battery than normal or econ.
As hasarad mentioned, it's kind of a pseudo-engine braking condition. I like and reference the explanation of it provided in a prior post - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/5648-post70.html. The electric motor is likely spinning the engine rather than consuming gas in this condition - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/13724-post42.html

This is admittedly super geeky, but now owning a hybrid, I map out drives by terrain so I can avoid (or anticipate) where the engine would work hard and/or to pre-plan and optimize what modes to use when.

In terms your drive, the terrain from DC to Pittsburgh looks mostly uphill until a decline from Mt. Pleasant on. Sport mode maintained high SOC, and left little room for regen for the downhill stretch, triggering the high battery charge and engine/energy bleed-off. On next outbound trip, getting to a low battery level (turning off Sport?) before the downhill run would help maximize energy recovery (though the total decline looks steep enough that you'd max out battery charge anyhow).

Your return trip from Pittsburgh to DC looks mostly be downhill (after Somerset?), so Sport mode shouldn't be necessary since you'll naturally capture charge from the downhill stretches. Normal or EV mode will be better choices, to keep the battery level low enough to accept more/new charge.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page