Question about door guard protection - Page 2 - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 1Likes

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttelz View Post
I'm also considering what the effect of the splash guards and front fake grill. Since I've seen pictures of the insight before in came out in 2019 I've wanted to fab up a fiberglass insert to the front grill where the license plate goes...Id think making that area similar to say a model 3's smooth front would certainly decrease drag..

Let me know what you guys think.. Ive got 77 miles on the car so its still too early to tell what sort of mpg I'll be averaging.

I should get a decent number after Thanksgiving since I'll be traveling 400miles Round trip plus 186mi for work this week...
You mean like the grille mod mugen did for the Japanese Insight?

You're average mpg is going to be lower in the Winter unless you live in a warm climate year round. Otherwise you won't see the full potential of the Insight until the Summer.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The dealer installed door guards on the vehicle. They're basically little pvc covers over the edge of the doors and wheel wells... I actually don't really like them. They're kinda ugly IMHO and honestly they're more for me digging someone else's door(s) which I never do so they're almost pointless to me. I'm thinking because the side body of the vehicle is smooth except for the door handles and mirrors...they're actually decreasing mpg because they're disturbing airflow.. Do you think that's the case?

I'm also considering what the effect of the splash guards and front fake grill. Since I've seen pictures of the insight before in came out in 2019 I've wanted to fab up a fiberglass insert to the front grill where the license plate goes...Id think making that area similar to say a model 3's smooth front would certainly decrease drag..
I have the door edge guards (and body side molding) as well. I think the MPG impact is negligible... but then again I've had them on since day one and only know the fuel efficiency with them on. I've gotten at/above average MPG so far, so I think the door guards are doing okay.

The door guards may introduce a disruption to the aerodynamic flow, but I think the other aerodynamics helps on the Insight are bigger factors for MPG. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/25...eadlights.html

If you want to remove the door edge guards, see comments above by @Mr. Natural regarding trimming, touch up, and heat-aided removal.

I learned some aerodynamics notes in these videos that the driver side grille in 'fog lamp' / lower area is functional to cool the electric motors... so there are a few 'functional' features to parts of the front grille. And the Insight's rim design intentionally cuts thru air to direct flow behind the wheels for brake cooling.

1:18 to 5:00 - Raiti's Rides - youtu.be/8kKqRHfD_8Q?t=78
0:49 to 1:15 - Rick Case Honda - youtu.be/d-BzwWjMPzw?t=49
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 09:44 AM

Yea I'm really thinking of taking off these door guards. They seriously only help other vehicles and not my own from getting hit anywhere else on the doors...

Plus I'm almost certain they add wind noise to the car...if you check some model 3 owners. You'll see they're adding little pieces of foam to fill the body panel gaps which drastically reduces wind noise on the vehicle... Only problem for me is Im not sure how well black rubber/foam between the panel gaps would look on a white car.... Im worried though that any white foam is going to yellow under uv light exposure...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Yea I'm really thinking of taking off these door guards. They seriously only help other vehicles and not my own from getting hit anywhere else on the doors...

Plus I'm almost certain they add wind noise to the car...if you check some model 3 owners. You'll see they're adding little pieces of foam to fill the body panel gaps which drastically reduces wind noise on the vehicle... Only problem for me is Im not sure how well black rubber/foam between the panel gaps would look on a white car.... Im worried though that any white foam is going to yellow under uv light exposure...
You can reduce wind noise by doing the following...

+

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Lubing your door seals.

+

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Last edited by andrew28; 12-01-2019 at 12:55 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:46 AM

Yes! That is exactly what I'm talking about with the additional seals! I also have to fix my door alignments since the rear driver side is way off. I bet I'll have a much quieter ride once the door guards are off...
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Maybe when Spring rolls around I will do the additional door seals.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page