Question about door guard protection - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Question about door guard protection

On my previous Honda (Fit 2015) we had door guard protectors which I liked. I found some online for my 2019 EX Insight at the link below.

https://www.bernardiparts.com/Produc...0-TXM-XXX.aspx

However, the installation manual says "These procedures should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers" and I can tell why. It involves removing the silicon seem just inside the door with a provided cutting tool. I'm not at all comfortable doing this.

How would I go about getting this done? Dealer? Body shop? Any ideas?
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:03 PM

Garage
Check out this video of the same kind of edge guards being installed. Doesn’t look very complex.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Touring
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
Check out this video of the same kind of edge guards being installed. Doesn’t look very complex.
https://youtu.be/kH9K5T_A0PM
Good info, but to me without a lift like the one in the video, it would be challenging. However, I know a guy close by that has a lift and I'll pay him to do it. The video is helpful. Thank you very much.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Here is another point of view

mgldan likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterb View Post
Here is another point of view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf8dkSjwXN0
I have to agree with the last thing he says about just being careful. However much you think it may be protecting the edge of your door, I guarantee that the real damage happened to the car you banged it into not the edge of your door. It’s happened to my cars too many times. And no matter how hard I try there are times where I am forced to park in a ‘too close’ situation.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:06 PM

I had my dealer install them as part of my purchase agreement. It wasn't that expensive -- under $100 installed.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:12 AM

Door edge guards -- keep or remove?

My Insight has edge guards installed by the dealer on each door and wheel well. At first I thought this was great for protection but I happened to get a couple small scrapes around the fog light area, so the idea of keeping the car free of dings is gone. Plus the edge guards break up the smooth exterior. Should I take them off? Any risk of damaging the paint by removing them?

Honda Insight EX, white exterior, black fabric interior, SF bay area
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremal View Post
My Insight has edge guards installed by the dealer on each door and wheel well. At first I thought this was great for protection but I happened to get a couple small scrapes around the fog light area, so the idea of keeping the car free of dings is gone. Plus the edge guards break up the smooth exterior. Should I take them off? Any risk of damaging the paint by removing them?
I have them on mine and though they do break up then clean lines, a ding or dent around the fender edges will be more visible & heart breaking than the guards themselves ~ so IMO I’d recommend keeping them on.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) - Manufactured 11/2018, Bought 03/29/2019
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:00 PM

Garage
I agree they break up the lines and are distracting from the look of the car. When they’re installed the seam sealant is trimmed on the inside of the door. The installer is supposed to touch up the paint after trimming and then uses a rubber mallet to pound to trim in place. If they haven’t touched up the paint it could be a place for rust to get a start. And the trim will likely trap moisture to help it along. Rust never sleeps. If you want to try removing them I’d try applying some heat and see if they will just pull off.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:09 AM

New 2020 Insight Touring door guards

Hey all...couple of mpg related questions.

I just got my insight touring. It's freaking awesome! My last car was a 2010 accord so this is quite an upgrade. The dealer installed door guards on the vehicle. They're basically little pvc covers over the edge of the doors and wheel wells... I actually don't really like them. They're kinda ugly IMHO and honestly they're more for me digging someone else's door(s) which I never do so they're almost pointless to me. I'm thinking because the side body of the vehicle is smooth except for the door handles and mirrors...they're actually decreasing mpg because they're disturbing airflow.. Do you think that's the case? I can get a picture later of them.

I'm also considering what the effect of the splash guards and front fake grill. Since I've seen pictures of the insight before in came out in 2019 I've wanted to fab up a fiberglass insert to the front grill where the license plate goes...Id think making that area similar to say a model 3's smooth front would certainly decrease drag..

Let me know what you guys think.. Ive got 77 miles on the car so its still too early to tell what sort of mpg I'll be averaging.

I should get a decent number after Thanksgiving since I'll be traveling 400miles Round trip plus 186mi for work this week...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page