2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid will replace Prius C - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid will replace Prius C

https://www.motor1.com/news/305842/t...ontinued-soon/
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...41214&id=40351

What do you guys think of the 2020 Toyota Corolla hybrid? I like the look of the front but the rear not so much (ford fusion?). Fuel economy looks similar to the Insight based on EPA numbers.

Seems like Toyota went with nickel metal hydride instead of Lithium Ion like the Honda Insight.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...n-photos-info/
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/lithi...e-hybrids1.htm

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Last edited by andrew28; 02-19-2019 at 03:07 AM.
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting reading... and interesting approach from Toyota, building on the Corolla base rather than Honda's approach to distinguish from the Civic and Accord.
  • I hate Corolla's exterior; the "vacuum-type" looking front grille is off-putting and outdated to me. The overall exterior reminds me of a 9th Gen Civic.
  • I do like that the Corolla Hybrid remains a true compact car. The Insight is considered a midsize car due to combined passenger and cargo volume, and it's wider/longer than I wanted.
  • Both the 2020 Corolla Hybrid and 2019 Insight get the same overall MPG, but the Insight is better in city and the Corolla is better on highway. This seems to indicate a different, less engine-intensive power strategy (and less "engine drone" noise?) for the Corolla in highway mode. Perhaps the Corolla Hybrid's 2.0L engine makes the difference over the 1.5L Insight engine.
  • It's nice that Toyota is coming around and will finally offer CarPlay/Android Auto rather than their obscure "Entune" system.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
Interesting reading... and interesting approach from Toyota, building on the Corolla base rather than Honda's approach to distinguish from the Civic and Accord.
  • I hate Corolla's exterior; the "vacuum-type" looking front grille is off-putting and outdated to me. The overall exterior reminds me of a 9th Gen Civic.
  • I do like that the Corolla Hybrid remains a true compact car. The Insight is considered a midsize car due to combined passenger and cargo volume, and it's wider/longer than I wanted.
  • Both the 2020 Corolla Hybrid and 2019 Insight get the same overall MPG, but the Insight is better in city and the Corolla is better on highway. This seems to indicate a different, less engine-intensive power strategy (and less "engine drone" noise?) for the Corolla in highway mode. Perhaps the Corolla Hybrid's 2.0L engine makes the difference over the 1.5L Insight engine.
  • It's nice that Toyota is coming around and will finally offer CarPlay/Android Auto rather than their obscure "Entune" system.
The front looks like a goldfish gasping for water. I only like the front for the LED headlights, honestly. The Insight is wider/longer than I wanted, too. I'm slowly adjusting to it, and kind of like the sense of safety it brings in the cabin.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:57 PM

It's hideous. Looking at the line alone the top, it starts out kind of smooth in the front, but the back drops off and makes the cabin look like a box. It's oddly angled at the base of the rear windshield, and short and stubby in front. The back has fake vents and the wheels are small. The paint job on the demo model is an atrocity.

We picked well.

2019 Lunar Silver Insight Touring (#7,483)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:31 PM

It looks pretty good, although that front reminds me of the Prius's evil grin look!

I wonder if the rear window visibility is better than the Insight's... Looks like it might be.

Anyone seen any specs on size, dimensions, weight? I see that Consumer Reports shows the 2020 regular Corolla is listed as 183" in length and 70" in width.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...tings?pagestop

That's virtually identical to the Insight's 184" and 72". Wheel bases are the same at 106". The question, though, is how different the Corolla Hybrid is from the regular Corolla.

This was also interesting:

"UPDATE 2/11/19: The Corolla hybrid's EPA ratings are out, sitting at 52 mpg combined, 53 mpg city, and 52 mpg highway. We have updated our story accordingly."

So, its MPG is essentially the same city and highway. The Insight's are 55 mpg city, 49 highway, with the same 52 mpg overall.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:39 PM

Garage
It doesnít have all the features that come on the Insight. Still has the same drivetrain as the Prius (0-60 10 seconds), has skinnier tires etc. Iíll stick with my Insight.
hasarad and Barn1960 like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Bond View Post
I wonder if the rear window visibility is better than the Insight's... Looks like it might be.
From the outside, the rear windows look comparably sized. The side c-pillar design shrinks the size of rear window on both. However the Corolla's rear headrests look ENORMOUS, almost as tall as and/or blocking the full rear window. I wonder if they placed the high voltage battery below the rear seats like for the G3 Insight...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1044  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
This was also interesting:

"UPDATE 2/11/19: The Corolla hybrid's EPA ratings are out, sitting at 52 mpg combined, 53 mpg city, and 52 mpg highway. We have updated our story accordingly."

So, its MPG is essentially the same city and highway. The Insight's are 55 mpg city, 49 highway, with the same 52 mpg overall.
While the 2020 Corolla Hybrid and 2019 Insight have the same overall MPG, the Insight is better in city and the Corolla is better on highway. This seems like a less engine-intensive power strategy for the Corolla in highway mode, especially since the Corolla Hybrid will have a 2.0L engine rather than the 1.5L Insight engine. It also may make a difference to those who travel more highway versus city.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Anyone seen any specs on size, dimensions, weight? I see that Consumer Reports shows the 2020 regular Corolla is listed as 183" in length and 70" in width.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...tings?pagestop

That's virtually identical to the Insight's 184" and 72". Wheel bases are the same at 106". The question, though, is how different the Corolla Hybrid is from the regular Corolla.
It looks like the Toyota site has specs posted for both the hybrid and base Corolla. All specs look identical for the Hybrid LE versus the base Corolla LE: https://www.toyota.com/corolla/featu...1882/1863/1856

It looks like the Hybrid Corolla is 'only' a $3k premium over the comparable base Corolla, while the Insight is a $3.5k premium.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
It looks like the Toyota site has specs posted for both the hybrid and base Corolla. All specs look identical for the Hybrid LE versus the base Corolla LE: https://www.toyota.com/corolla/featu...1882/1863/1856

It looks like the Hybrid Corolla is 'only' a $3k premium over the comparable base Corolla, while the Insight is a $3.5k premium.
I feel like Toyota is positioning the hybrid Corolla oddly within its own model line. There is only one hybrid trim! If you want to spec your Corolla beyond the LE level and have a hybrid powertrain, you can't. Then you get into Prius territory and all the stigma.

By comparison, the Civic LX and Insight LX are $3.5k apart, but when you get to EX and Touring trims, the difference is less than $1k. So if you are looking at these trim levels, the hybrid is a cost effective counterpart.

It feels like Toyota is being timid with the hybrid Corolla and trying to avoid cannibalization of the Prius.

2019 Lunar Silver Insight Touring (#7,483)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page