Honda E - 2019 Honda Insight Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Honda E

Preview of the Honda E and a glimpse at what future Honda EVs could be like. It appears Honda will continue to build upon the user interface currently inside the Accord & Insight. I like the attention to detail Honda puts into the cars they make and the Honda E is no exception.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:52 PM

Garage
It's just really really depressing that they have decided the car isn't going to North America. I'd totally own one as a second vehicle with the Insight.

2019 Insight EX, Aegean Blue (Owned by my someday wife)
General Automotive knowledge, Degree in Autobody, worked in Electronics for the past 10 years.
Retired Professional Car Audio Competitor. Avid knowledge buff, always researching something.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:29 PM

I think it's depressing I can't easily order 90% if the electric cars because I'm not in a state they will sell it in😟

No matter where you go, there you are. Check out my Insight YouTube channel Verdier400.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey'sInsight View Post
It's just really really depressing that they have decided the car isn't going to North America. I'd totally own one as a second vehicle with the Insight.
I have read it has to do with no actual side mirrors. Government regulation doesn't allow a camera based system as a side mirror replacement yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdier View Post
I think it's depressing I can't easily order 90% if the electric cars because I'm not in a state they will sell it in😟
I don't think dealerships want EVs to become mainstream since it will affect how they will do business. Dealerships make most of their profits in service & parts. EVs don't require regular fluid changes or have as many parts that could possibly fail. Wouldn't surprise me if dealerships are lobbying automakers to slow down the introduction of EVs or limit them to CARB/ZEV states.

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Garage
I know in the case of this car, Honda has stated that the "range" wasn't great enough to entice buyers in North America. I don't know about all of you, but having this car as a daily work commute car works for me. Allowing less miles on the Insight, and further reducing our households reliance on Gasoline. I would absolutely love to put one of these in our stable.

General Automotive knowledge, Degree in Autobody, worked in Electronics for the past 10 years.
Retired Professional Car Audio Competitor. Avid knowledge buff, always researching something.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Ironically lately in NY, capitol district area, I've been seeing more Clarities. To be fair, they do stand out more than the Insight.

I'm super bummed that the Honda E isn't destined for the US market, I'd seriously consider that as our second vehicle, when we get to that point, it'd be perfect for me.
We might get the sport version of the E here. https://carbuzz.com/news/there-s-goo...prototype-fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdier View Post
Perhaps I'm being over sensitive about this, but the $7500 tax credit is really not very helpful to the average consumer and it always annoys me when car sellers mention this like you're going to get it. I looked into these tax credits and they really only tend to work well for people who have large tax rates to pay. Small business owners and people with a lot of sold investments ECT. For someone like me with a standard basic income, i only qualify for about $500 in tax credit of the $7500 offered. Just seems kind of disengenuous to me. Sorry to rant, it just ticks me off when people list this as money you'll get back when a lot of us won't qualify for a fraction of it. 😟
You can also wait for a leasing promotion where the automaker is willing to pass a partial or full credit to you.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
We might get the sport version of the E here. https://carbuzz.com/news/there-s-goo...prototype-fans

You can also wait for a leasing promotion where the automaker is willing to pass a partial or full credit to you.

Big issue is that it wouldn't pass our outdated automotive mirror standards. All cars currently must be built with a minimum of rear view and at least 1 side view mirror, although I do believe they updated that minimum to two.

There is no regulations allowing the replacement of mirrors with cameras.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Big issue is that it wouldn't pass our outdated automotive mirror standards. All cars currently must be built with a minimum of rear view and at least 1 side view mirror, although I do believe they updated that minimum to two.

I assume automakers will lobby to make the change during the next few years. Tesla is already allowing reservations on their roadster which doesn't have side mirrors either.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1VH2G9
NHTSA confirmed to start testing camera based side mirrors earlier this week.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

'Word on the street' (from Jalopnik interview of Honda project leader) is that the US was originally in-scope for Honda E launch, but was cut from launch plans 3 years ago due to projected lack of US demand. However the US media attention over European launch may drive Honda to reconsider...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/h...market-demand/
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ned-for-the-us
https://jalopnik.com/the-honda-e-was...ate-1839277601

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page