The Hyundai Ioniq has 2 unique features (self jump start & predictive mapping) - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Verdier

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
The Hyundai Ioniq has 2 unique features (self jump start & predictive mapping)

Just learned about these 2 features about the Ioniq.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...arter-battery/
https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/hy...-mapping-ioniq
  • Toyota has something similar called Predictive Efficient Drive on the new Rav4 Hybrid and upcoming 2020 Highlander Hybrid.
  • Anybody know if the Honda Insight has something similar?

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

I think the Insight has a 'version' of what Hyundai calls self-jump start, though it's programmed versus a selectable button for driver (?). The Insight HV battery recharges the 12V battery while driving, in place of an alternator (OM pg9)... but nothing accessible once car is powered off.

The predictive mapping is a cool idea, with similar discussion in the following thread. The touring GPS navigation system has a option called "less fuel" which might leverage terrain and distance in the calculation. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/20...html#post14650
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
I think the Insight has a 'version' of what Hyundai calls self-jump start, though it's programmed versus a selectable button for driver (?). The Insight HV battery recharges the 12V battery while driving, in place of an alternator (OM pg9)... but nothing accessible once car is powered off.

The predictive mapping is a cool idea, with similar discussion in the following thread. The touring GPS navigation system has a option called "less fuel" which might leverage terrain and distance in the calculation. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/20...html#post14650
Ioniq's self jump start button allows the owner to jump start the 12v battery without needing jumper cables. I guess they don't have to worry about the reliability of the non-replaceable 12v partitioned lion battery since Hyundai offers a lifetime battery warranty.

It would be nice if someone with the Insight Touring can give that "less fuel" option a try on the built in NAV. On the 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid only the highest trim(Platinum) comes with the "Dynamic Navigation" feature.

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Last edited by andrew28; 08-31-2019 at 01:08 AM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:

Interesting... no alternator in the Insight. That's great the HV battery charges the 12V battery. My boss always complained whenever the 12 V battery died on this Civic Hybrid and the car wouldn't move despite the HV battery.

A few weeks ago I used the little Insight to jump start my 2013 Accord with a dead battery. Thank goodness for those jump terminals in the Insight engine bay unlike the Ioniq!

Predictive mapping... Tesla already has it and predicts range based on topography... Meaning it calculates elevation gain, however what it doesn't do is take into account live traffic speeds.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronQQQ View Post
A few weeks ago I used the little Insight to jump start my 2013 Accord with a dead battery. Thank goodness for those jump terminals in the Insight engine bay unlike the Ioniq!
Just to let you know that you shouldn't use the Insight to jump start another vehicle as indicated in the owners manual.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
Quote:

Ioniq's self jump start button allows the owner to jump start the 12v battery without needing jumper cables. I guess they don't have to worry about the reliability of the non-replaceable 12v partitioned lion battery since Hyundai offers a lifetime battery warranty.

It would be nice if someone with the Insight Touring can give that "less fuel" option a try on the built in NAV. On the 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid only the highest trim(Platinum) comes with the "Dynamic Navigation" feature.
First, I remember all my old navi Garmin gps' toting something called predictive mapping which watched your driving and predicted routes more to your liking based on your driving style and route preferences. The insight uses Garmin gps so I figure it has this but I bet it's significantly less advanced than the Tesla system. Second I tried choosing the less fuel route in my GPS on the touring and the route it chose added nearly 40 minutes to my drive. I was in A hurry and decided against it, but I think it probably would have boosted my gas mileage quite a bit since It chose 40 to 50 mph roads over the interstate and we all know that's a sweet speed on the insight. The problem with Maine is we have fewer roads leading to a longer than expected time increase for the route. My guess is the feature actually works if you're willing to take the extra time.
andrew28 likes this.

No matter where you go, there you are. Check out my Insight YouTube channel Verdier400.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page