Honda CRV Hybrid coming to the US in early 2020 - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Honda CRV Hybrid coming to the US in early 2020

https://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/cr-v

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-au...shened-styling

Honda is bringing the Japanese/European CRV Hybrid to the US for early 2020! Looks like it will be using the Accord Hybrid's powertrain with added AWD capability(like the new AWD-Prius?). Since this is a mid-gen refresh for the CRV. Honda didn't fully redesign the car and just did slight modifications. You can see in the pictures that it's running the older infotainment software in the Clarity along with the Civic's older steering wheel.

I think I like the look of the European/Japanese CRV hybrid better. What do you guys think?

Edit: HondaProJason just posted up a video of it.

AWD comparison between the European CRV Hybrid and European Rav4 Hybrid

European CRV Hybrid & Rav4 Hybrid Review
BlueSerenity likes this.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Last edited by andrew28; 09-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:48 PM

I will be watching this platform. May be worth an upgrade when it is redesigned.

2019 Honda Insight EX Cosmic Blue
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Honda should remove all the chrome and make it look less roundish on the front in my opinion.

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:35 AM

Honda answers SUV craze with a slam dunk!

Honda is FINALLY releasing a hybrid version of the CRV for 2020! It uses the Honda Accord’s hybrid powertrain and promises a 50% increase in city mileage, which translates to about 44mpg, beating the RAV4!! Honda may have quite the winner here.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...d-photos-info/

2019 Insight EX, Crimson Red Pearl/Ivory.
2018 Honda CB500F, Candy Blue
2017 Yamaha Smax, Black
2013 Fiat 500T, Red
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
Honda is FINALLY releasing a hybrid version of the CRV for 2020! It uses the Honda Accord’s hybrid powertrain and promises a 50% increase in city mileage, which translates to about 44mpg, beating the RAV4!! Honda may have quite the winner here.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...d-photos-info/
Bahhh! Right after I buy an Insight.. of course lol. I think ultimately a Hybrid CSUV is my choice in life right now, but i'll wait a few years with the Insight and make do for now.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Executive Remarks from the 2020 Honda CR-V Debut
Quote:
Honda took over as America's retail #1 passenger car brand in 2018 and this year we've picked up more share than any other mainstream brand, with nearly 20 percent of the retail market. Cars are still major volume players in our lineup, at around 47 percent of our mix.
Quote:
And while minivans aren't the story of the day, as a former development leader for the Odyssey, I have to mention that the current Odyssey is now running at 43 percent of retail minivan sales. And it's on track to be the #1 minivan in America for the 10th straight year.
Quote:
For the immediate future, however, we see hybrids as the best way to bring electrified powertrains further and more quickly into the mainstream and in the process, we are creating customers for the full-electric vehicles of the future.

Quote:
  • All CR-Vs also get design updates, including a new grille and new lighting designs for all trims, new projectors for LX, EX and EX-L, and new LED headlights and fog lights for Touring.
  • In back, smoked taillights, new darker chrome trim and a darker rear glass create a more sophisticated look. And Touring adds new dual chrome exhaust finishers as well.
  • For the hybrid, we have unique 5-lamp LED fog lights and a blue Honda logo, and in back we've got concealed exhaust finishers. And, of course, there's hybrid badging on the front quarters and tailgate.
  • For the Hybrid, there's an exclusive push-button gear selector, drive mode buttons, and steering wheel paddles to select regen braking levels and also a new driver's meter, and remote engine start for all trims.
  • Moving to the hybrid powertrain, CR-V gets the latest version of our two-motor system. It's very similar in design to the Accord Hybrid, with a 2.0-liter Atkinson cycle engine operating primarily as an electric generator with two motors, a generator motor, and a 181-horsepower drive motor.
  • Peak system output is 212 horsepower and 232 lb-ft of torque.
  • Additionally, it spends a relatively high amount of time in EV mode compared to the competition, adding to around-town efficiency.
  • It's also worth noting that this is our first Honda Hybrid with all-wheel-drive. In fact, all-wheel-drive will be standard on all hybrid trims.
Quote:
  • Now, in terms of on-sale, the gas-powered model will launch this fall, and it will continue to be produced at four plants in North America, in Ohio, Indiana and Canada.
  • The new Hybrid will follow early next year, and pricing and EPA numbers for each will be coming out a little closer to launch.
  • One final piece of news, and this is especially timely, given that just last week we marked 40 years of building products in America.
  • Our new CR-V Hybrid for the U.S. market will be built exclusively at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana.
  • This will be our third U.S.-made hybrid, along with the two cars here in the room – Insight, also made in Indiana and Accord, from our Marysville Auto Plant.
  • Our Ohio transmission plant will supply the two-motor unit for CR-V, and the Anna Engine Plant will make its 2.0-liter engine.
  • As you can see, as we advance electrification through our core model lineup, so, too, are we advancing our ability to produce electrified vehicles and components at our plants here in America. And, this is key to the future of our electrification strategy.

Quote:
EPA ratings aren't final, but we're expecting a substantial increase in efficiency over the gas model – almost 50% in the city. This will make the CR-V Hybrid the most refined, quickest off the line, and of course most fuel-efficient CR-V in our lineup.
So 39mpg city based on current non-turbo CRV and 42mpg city based on current turbo CRV city numbers? This will likely be the most popular version of the 2020 CRV. More torque, most fuel efficient, no worries about oil dilution, regenerative braking, less oil changes, EV mode, and AWD standard. Why would you buy the gas model?

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

The following comments have my interest:

"For the [CR-V] hybrid, we have unique 5-lamp LED fog lights and a blue Honda logo, and in back we've got concealed exhaust finishers. And, of course, there's hybrid badging on the front quarters and tailgate."
...so Honda is going to adopt Toyota's practice of using blue on logos to highlight hybrids.
- Moving to the hybrid powertrain, CR-V gets the latest version of our two-motor system. It's very similar in design to the Accord Hybrid, with a 2.0-liter Atkinson cycle engine operating primarily as an electric generator with two motors, a generator motor, and a 181-horsepower drive motor.
...what's "new" in the latest version of the two-motor system?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
The following comments have my interest:

"For the [CR-V] hybrid, we have unique 5-lamp LED fog lights and a blue Honda logo, and in back we've got concealed exhaust finishers. And, of course, there's hybrid badging on the front quarters and tailgate."
...so Honda is going to adopt Toyota's practice of using blue on logos to highlight hybrids.
- Moving to the hybrid powertrain, CR-V gets the latest version of our two-motor system. It's very similar in design to the Accord Hybrid, with a 2.0-liter Atkinson cycle engine operating primarily as an electric generator with two motors, a generator motor, and a 181-horsepower drive motor.
...what's "new" in the latest version of the two-motor system?
It looks very similar to what @Insightful did to his front Honda emblem except Honda did the blue outline inside the H. The "new" is the AWD capability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 12.02.00 AM.png
Views:	18
Size:	911.6 KB
ID:	3656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 12.03.10 AM.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	3658  
Insightful likes this.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
It looks very similar to what @Insightful did to his front Honda emblem except Honda did the blue outline inside the H. The "new" is the AWD capability.
I like everything about the CRV Hybrid EXCEPT for the AWD. The extra friction of AWD isn’t worth the loss in gas mileage and extra cost/complexity. FWD has worked just fine for decades so I don’t get the sudden feeling of “needing” AWD.

I did read elsewhere that Honda is planning on switching all their cars to hybrid only in the near future so our Insight will lose its exclusivity later on. The 2020 Fit is apparently only a hybrid and uses Honda’s new smaller and cheaper 2 motor hybrid system, designed to work in smaller and cheaper models. Also, Honda recently introduced a hybrid scooter (not in US)...I was wondering when the hybrid idea would translate to 2 wheel use.

2019 Insight EX, Crimson Red Pearl/Ivory.
2018 Honda CB500F, Candy Blue
2017 Yamaha Smax, Black
2013 Fiat 500T, Red

Last edited by Carfreak09; 09-21-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfreak09 View Post
I did read elsewhere that Honda is planning on switching all their cars to hybrid only in the near future so our Insight will lose its exclusivity later on. The 2020 Fit is apparently only a hybrid and uses Honda’s new smaller and cheaper 2 motor hybrid system, designed to work in smaller and cheaper models. Also, Honda recently introduced a hybrid scooter (not in US)...I was wondering when the hybrid idea would translate to 2 wheel use.
My 'conspiracy' theory is that the Insight will be eliminated/re-branded as a Civic hybrid, rather than standing alone as a Gen4 Insight. Honda has openly stated plans to consolidate models and electrify 2/3 of their lineup by 2030. I think the 'short term' name of the Insight is why Honda isn't promoting the Insight as a model. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/17964-post13.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page