Exposed electrical in the trunk? - 2019 Honda Insight Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Exposed electrical in the trunk?

Coming from an older Audi I found it very odd that there's exposed wires and electronics in the top of the trunk. I haven't checked Toyotas/Mazdas/etc, is this common with modern sedans? My only guess is that they wanted to save some weight?

The issue is that you can easily damage something if you are not careful when loading a bigger item. Which I did when loading in my winter tires . I broke off a small plastic cap, nothing major, but I wish that stuff was properly covered .
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

I think this exposed/open area is typical (for all the Hondas I've owned, at least). The components are shielded from rain/elements, so failure in that way hasn't been a problem so far. It does become a risk if items stacked in the trunk are higher/larger than the trunk opening. What was the area covered with in your older Audi, and do you plan to cover it yourself - e.g. hard cover? soft material?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
I think this exposed/open area is typical (for all the Hondas I've owned, at least). The components are shielded from rain/elements, so failure in that way hasn't been a problem so far. It does become a risk if items stacked in the trunk are higher/larger than the trunk opening. What was the area covered with in your older Audi, and do you plan to cover it yourself - e.g. hard cover? soft material?

I had an Audi A3 hatchback, so it's maybe not the best comparison. But looking online the A4 sedan just doesn't have any cabling/speakers there. They run them on the side of the car and everything is covered with harder plastics.

That's actually one thing that struck me about the Insight, how easy it is to take things apart and access. In the Audi everything is hidden, it took my mechanic a good half hour to access the third light break bulb as it was under multiple layers of plastic.

I do think there's a fuel efficiency angle to this, I just don't have anything to compare the Honda with. My old car is an 06, things might have been different back then.

It terms of protecting that area, I'm not sure, maybe a layer of felt cloth or insulation would do the trick. Just so that nothing gets hooked onto those cables and the speakers are bit more covered.

Last edited by kitguyy; 09-27-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitguyy View Post
I had an Audi A3 hatchback, so it's maybe not the best comparison. But looking online the A4 sedan just doesn't have any cabling/speakers there. They run them on the side of the car and everything is covered with harder plastics.

That's actually one thing that struck me about the Insight, how easy it is to take things apart and access. In the Audi everything is hidden, it took my mechanic a good half hour to access the third light break bulb as it was under multiple layers of plastic.

I do think there's a fuel efficiency angle to this, I just don't have anything to compare the Honda with. My old car is an 06, things might have been different back then.

It terms of protecting that area, I'm not sure, maybe a layer of felt cloth or insulation would do the trick. Just so that nothing gets hooked onto those cables and the speakers are bit more covered.
German automakers prefer that you lease a new car every 3 years in perpetuity instead of owning one for a long time. They over engineer the cars not for reliability but to make it cost prohibitive to maintain.

I think all of the mainstream automakers outside of the luxury brands have the same exposed sedan trunk wiring. If I remember correctly my Ford Fusion and Civic were the same as the Insight.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post

I don't think there is a fuel efficiency angle on this at all. I think this is pure cost cutting. They could have covered it with trunk carpet and 29 clips atxa cist if maybe $3 a unit. This is a more inexpensive car so less people are surprised by wires showing than someone who buys a 50g car. They expect things to be better covered and hidden IMHO.

No matter where you go, there you are. Check out my Insight YouTube channel Verdier400. Or catch me at http://www.bitchute.com/verdier400
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Coming from an older Audi I found it very odd that there's exposed wires and electronics in the top of the trunk. I haven't checked Toyotas/Mazdas/etc, is this common with modern sedans? My only guess is that they wanted to save some weight?
Coming from an 2010 Mazda 6 and was shocked to figure out that there's exposed wires and electronics in the top of the trunk!

I initially assumed that this is a defect/planned to go to the dealer next week for a fix (the car is only one month old).

Could someone please confirm that this is indeed 'by design' - see photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-12-08 14.00.27.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	4274  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post
Coming from an 2010 Mazda 6 and was shocked to figure out that there's exposed wires and electronics in the top of the trunk!

I initially assumed that this is a defect/planned to go to the dealer next week for a fix (the car is only one month old).

Could someone please confirm that this is indeed 'by design' - see photo attached.
Yep, that's by design. During normal day to day usage you won't see it though.

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
Yep, that's by design. During normal day to day usage you won't see it though.
Agree, I only noticed it yesterday looking 'under the hood' - still looks kind of strange for me!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor View Post

Not sure if this helps or hurts the answer to your question... but ALL Hondas I've driven (dating back to the 80s) have this 'design.' The exposed areas are the only way I've known/seen Hondas to be delivered and they've never caused a problem so I've never questioned it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The current Mazda6 has some exposed wiring but not as much as the Insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-12-09 Is the 2019 Mazda 6 the BETTER BUY over a Camry or Accord - YouTube.png
Views:	22
Size:	529.9 KB
ID:	4292  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page