Any way to fit 3 small children in the back??? - Page 3 - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 6Likes

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Garage
I had a 2006 Odyssey, great family hauler. No comparison to any midsize SUV for trips with 3+ kids. I liked it, but I liked trading it for my Highlander Hybrid even more.
hasarad likes this.

2019 Cosmic Blue Touring
My Review: https://carseatblog.com/47989/
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by safedad View Post
All things equal, hip room is a better indicator than shoulder room, because the door handles limit how far carseats can be placed in a 3-across setup.
Good suggestion; added hip specs above and highlighted the "top 3" for shoulder and hip room.
safedad likes this.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You don't need 3 car seats when you have one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
The minivan has been relegated to Home Depot runs or any other type of task where I don't want to crap up my Insight. It gets parked on the street in hopes it will get sideswiped and totalled so I don't have to look at it anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Board-Fe...dp/B00RYCPTQ2/
^This one is for @hasarad 's minivan or those that want to live dangerously.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Last edited by andrew28; 10-21-2019 at 02:01 AM.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Meanwhile, we are thinking about buying my husband a new car that will fit 5 of us comfortably, including on road trips (but we don't want something with 3 rows). He currently has the 2010 Forester. The Ford Edge and the Nissan Murano are supposed to be the SUVs with the widest back seats, excluding cars with 3 rows. Or maybe a slightly used Outback?
For inspiration reading (?):
- this blogger fit 3 car seats in a 2000 Civic (51.4" rear shoulder, 45.6" rear hip room), which is narrower than the Insight. https://punkrockor.com/2012/05/11/fi...r-uncertainty/
- and this other forum lists examples of 'successful three across' installations in different models. https://www.car-seat.org/showthread....-Across-thread

Maybe because there are already so few Insights on the road (and you seem to enjoy driving it), I'm really pulling for you and hope you can keep your car!
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfully View Post
Good suggestion; added hip specs above and highlighted the "top 3" for shoulder and hip room.
Thank you!!!

We are looking seriously at the Santa Fe for my husband. As for the Insight, when we get a little farther along I will buy a narrow infant seat and a Bubble Bum booster for my 9 year old, and then I will experiment to see if I can make anything work at all. I already bought a Harmony booster for my husband's car, and it is really pretty wide, too. It is not going to help with the Insight.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Just for anyone else who might be looking into the same topic, here is another useful link I found:

https://bestcarseathub.com/blog/how-...-three-across/

It gives tips for seating 3 across the backseat and it lists a whole bunch of cars with all the rear seat dimensions.
insightfully likes this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Just for anyone else who might be looking into the same topic, here is another useful link I found:

https://bestcarseathub.com/blog/how-...-three-across/

It gives tips for seating 3 across the backseat and it lists a whole bunch of cars with all the rear seat dimensions.
Maybe you can get them to the Insight to the Honda section of the list
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

OK, so I have been experimenting with car seats and booster seats in the Insight. Here is a picture of a Chicco Keyfit 30 infant seat, a BubbleBum travel booster, and an Evenflo Big Kid highback booster in the back seat. VERY cozy. My girls were able to get into the boosters, but it wasn't easy and my 9-yr-old just barely fits between the other two. If her hips get any wider that would be the end of that. So I don't know what the plan is. I haven't tried replacing the infant seat with the convertible seat we already have, but I think that will be even worse. We are going to get my husband an SUV that will fit everyone comfortably - this week I want to go take a look at the 2020 Santa Fe. Then maybe we will just have to make do for a while with only one car that fits everyone and only use the Insight for all 3 kids when absolutely necessary. When I eventually go back to work and we need two cars set up for the kids, I will have to get something bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5729.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	4150  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page