Any States Doing This - extra fees - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
FRR

Any States Doing This - extra fees

Here in Ohio, our new Governor, in office for 2 months has proposed an 18 cent increase in the state gasoline tax. The Legislature, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to support the new tax, ( both houses and the statehouse is controlled by the same party) but wants to cut it back to about half and then increase it over several years. Interesting part is the proposed bill, which my legislator supports will charge a "user fee" of 200 bucks for electric cars and a 100 a year user fee for Hybrids. I wrote him about this bill, which he supports of course, and he replied that the user fee for hybrids is for road use " similar to internal combustion engines" I don't think this guy has any idea what a hybrid is, but he supports the user feel anyway. Are other states using this tactic to soak energy efficient hybrids? I wrote my legislator back, but it is like talking to a wall. He doesn't dare not support it, of course. Do other states have this "user fee"?
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR View Post
Here in Ohio, our new Governor, in office for 2 months has proposed an 18 cent increase in the state gasoline tax. The Legislature, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to support the new tax, ( both houses and the statehouse is controlled by the same party) but wants to cut it back to about half and then increase it over several years. Interesting part is the proposed bill, which my legislator supports will charge a "user fee" of 200 bucks for electric cars and a 100 a year user fee for Hybrids. I wrote him about this bill, which he supports of course, and he replied that the user fee for hybrids is for road use " similar to internal combustion engines" I don't think this guy has any idea what a hybrid is, but he supports the user feel anyway. Are other states using this tactic to soak energy efficient hybrids? I wrote my legislator back, but it is like talking to a wall. He doesn't dare not support it, of course. Do other states have this "user fee"?
https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/2...ighest-in-u-s/
https://wbhm.org/feature/2019/states...id-car-owners/
https://www.pressherald.com/2018/02/...-proposed-tax/

Minnesota, Maine, and Alabama were some of the states that have implemented or considered doing this. Automakers have stated that they plan on producing mainly vehicles with some sort of electrification going forward. Lawmakers see the writing on the wall and the loss of gas tax revenue(less gas purchased = less gas tax revenue). This is sort of like when they found out people are shopping online more which means less sales tax.

I'm already paying more on my motor vehicle excise tax so I would be pissed if MA implemented something similar...

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Your legislator has a little "too much yardage between the goalposts." Your car runs on gasoline! Let's say, hypothetically, that someone produces an ICE-only car that gets 50mpg. That owner should skate while the hybrid owner pays. This seems like something that will be challenged in court eventually. I get the EV-only crowd that buys no gas, but soaking the hybrid owner is not fair. For the fairest way, they should go my miles travelled. That would even the playing field. Except some would argue that out-of-state miles should not count. Okay, so there's no perfect method. I still think miles traveled would be the fairest.
FRR likes this.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:59 AM

Personally I think the best way to handle this for the state to spend less. But you guys know what a doofus I am.🙄

No matter where you go, there you are. Check out my Insight YouTube channel Verdier400.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdier View Post
Personally I think the best way to handle this for the state to spend less. But you guys know what a doofus I am.🙄
I don't know about other states but here in MA. The money is definitely not being spent... at least not on the roads and bridges. I just want them to fix the potholes. I saw a guy on Monday trying to dodge a pothole on the highway only to hit another one lol. Thankfully I kept my distance and saw his tire bounce to know a pothole was there.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
FRR

Well, the legislature in Ohio has finally acted. At first the State Senate decreased the hybrid fee from 100 bucks down to 75 but in the conference committee it was raised again back to 100 dollars. So, unless something changes, hybrid owners in Ohio will start paying 10 cents a gallon more for gas in July, like everyone else plus a $100.00 a year "user fee". Our state is controlled by one political party that has never been a big fan of the environment anyway, but this legislation to punitive to hybrid owners at best. Based on 8000 miles of driving per year, and compared to my Civic that I owned previous to this purchase, my savings with this ludicrous "user fee", will save me a whopping 50 bucks a year! I wrote my state senator and informed him that, even though he could care less, I'd vote for anything that walked on 2 legs before I'd vote for him. I'm amazed more hybrid owners in Ohio aren't more concerned about this, but I will bet few even know. The legislators have worked hard to keep this section of the purposed law under wraps, and they have succeeded.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Well, the legislature in Ohio has finally acted. At first the State Senate decreased the hybrid fee from 100 bucks down to 75 but in the conference committee it was raised again back to 100 dollars. So, unless something changes, hybrid owners in Ohio will start paying 10 cents a gallon more for gas in July, like everyone else plus a $100.00 a year "user fee". Our state is controlled by one political party that has never been a big fan of the environment anyway, but this legislation to punitive to hybrid owners at best. Based on 8000 miles of driving per year, and compared to my Civic that I owned previous to this purchase, my savings with this ludicrous "user fee", will save me a whopping 50 bucks a year! I wrote my state senator and informed him that, even though he could care less, I'd vote for anything that walked on 2 legs before I'd vote for him. I'm amazed more hybrid owners in Ohio aren't more concerned about this, but I will bet few even know. The legislators have worked hard to keep this section of the purposed law under wraps, and they have succeeded.
They'll differentiate a hybrid car from a non-hybrid car at the pump? I can't see them making that happen. What is your state senator smoking? I live in New Jersey. We have mandatory full-serve gas and have lower prices then Pennsylvania (a mile away). Our gas tax went up last year, but we're still crazy cheap. I guess being in a blue state has its advantages even though I'm a "red" voter.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
FRR

No, we pay the gas tqx increase and the user fee
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
Quote:
They'll differentiate a hybrid car from a non-hybrid car at the pump? I can't see them making that happen. What is your state senator smoking? I live in New Jersey. We have mandatory full-serve gas and have lower prices then Pennsylvania (a mile away). Our gas tax went up last year, but we're still crazy cheap. I guess being in a blue state has its advantages even though I'm a "red" voter.
To be honest I think this has less to do with blue or red state and more to do with the fact none of these bozos seem capable of balancing a budget or spending money without paying for the highest bidder in the end. Just my non-political 2 cents on this.
hasarad, mgldan and andrew28 like this.

No matter where you go, there you are. Check out my Insight YouTube channel Verdier400.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:16 PM

The neighboring state of Alabama (I live in GA) has also proposed/passed gas tax increases as well as the "user fees" for electric and hybrid vehicles. The legislation specifies plug-in hybrids. My guess is because like an all-electric vehicle, you could theoretically not use gas or certainly use less gas as long as the vehicle was kept charged and you only used the vehicle's electric range. Not sure how Ohio's legislation is worded.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page