Dash Cams - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Dash Cams

I know this isn't particularly specific to the Insight itself.... But, anyone got a dash cam installed? I had one in my Hyundai Elantra that has since migrated over to my new Insight. It's not a terribly expensive unit but does offer some good features and really clear video that's easy to download to a computer. I know in the past I've gotten some good footage of people doing dumb things while out not he road but nothing more than that. It is nice knowing that should I ever be in a legal situation where I would need to defend myself that I would have a digital footprint of where I was and when and what happened both with audio and video. You just never know in this day and age.

To install my dash cam, used a fuse tap in the interior fuse box in the driver footwell area to tap into fuse number one which is the accessory fuse. Allows the dash cam to run run while the vehicle is in accessory or in the on position. It's definitely worth it to do this type of install so that you don't have any cords hanging down and you're not blocking a usb port/12 volt outlet. Simply tucked the lead into the weatherstripping of the driver door and then up into the headliner. Hides the cords and makes the install look really nice.... like a professional installed it. Took about 15-20 minutes to get it finished up.

2019 Honda Insight Touring | White Orchid Pearl | Black Leather | 15% Tint

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johudso7 View Post
I know this isn't particularly specific to the Insight itself.... But, anyone got a dash cam installed? I had one in my Hyundai Elantra that has since migrated over to my new Insight. It's not a terribly expensive unit but does offer some good features and really clear video that's easy to download to a computer. I know in the past I've gotten some good footage of people doing dumb things while out not he road but nothing more than that. It is nice knowing that should I ever be in a legal situation where I would need to defend myself that I would have a digital footprint of where I was and when and what happened both with audio and video. You just never know in this day and age.

To install my dash cam, used a fuse tap in the interior fuse box in the driver footwell area to tap into fuse number one which is the accessory fuse. Allows the dash cam to run run while the vehicle is in accessory or in the on position. It's definitely worth it to do this type of install so that you don't have any cords hanging down and you're not blocking a usb port/12 volt outlet. Simply tucked the lead into the weatherstripping of the driver door and then up into the headliner. Hides the cords and makes the install look really nice.... like a professional installed it. Took about 15-20 minutes to get it finished up.
im looking to add a dashcam to my insight as well. just to make sure, the number one fuse is the one on the most top left corner with the 10 amp fuse right?
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:48 AM

I have a Viofo A119 that I had in my previous vehicle. I haven't routed the cord behind the headliner. I just have the cord draped over the rearview mirror stem and plugged into one of the USB outlets on the console.

2019 Crimson Pearl Touring

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have front and rear dashcams in my insight. There is a single wire running form the power outlet in the console. I removed the leahter trim on the dash and was able to run the wire within the console into the battery area. It is split there into two USB connections. One runs the front camera, and the other runs to the rear camera underneath the floor mats and under the rear seat and up the passenger side rear. I'm happy with the results. Let me know if you would like photos of the install.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Correct! That 10 amp fuse allowed me to add in my fuse tap so that way my camera is powered on when the car is on or when the accessory power is on. A really simple and clean install!

post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasarad View Post
I have front and rear dashcams in my insight. There is a single wire running form the power outlet in the console. I removed the leahter trim on the dash and was able to run the wire within the console into the battery area. It is split there into two USB connections. One runs the front camera, and the other runs to the rear camera underneath the floor mats and under the rear seat and up the passenger side rear. I'm happy with the results. Let me know if you would like photos of the install.
Post the install pics.

2019 Crimson Pearl Touring

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:11 AM

When dash cam already installed by Honda why install another one ?
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
When dash cam already installed by Honda why install another one ?
The camera in the car is strictly only for the active safety systems, nothing else. Not for audio/video recording to be accessed by the customer.

post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayvee View Post
Post the install pics.
Will try to get outside to get photos in the next day or two.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here are the photos of my dash cam installs. I used the dash power outlet to start. The cable runs down beneath the mat into the right side joint. I removed the leather dash trim (it pops right off) and was able to get the cable down to the battery area. It's a split cable I had from some other earlier USB-type-device purchase but worked perfectly for this application. I used a 10ft USB 2.0 A-to-mini-USB for the front camera. I used a micro-to-micro extension for the rear camera. Your needs may differ. Although the cables are visible in a couple places, it's not very noticeable. I wish I had taklen photos when I had everything apart to show the cable routing. My apologies for that. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. I may clean things up more in the spring as it's starting to get a little nippy outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-25 17.21.01.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	418   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-25 17.21.19.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	420   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-25 17.21.26.jpg
Views:	369