Owner Manual is Terrible - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By insightfully

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Owner Manual is Terrible

I should call my dealer, but maybe someone here can tell me - which other Honda vehicle has the most similar user interface? I could use that for a reference.
So what's wrong with the manual?
  • It's a crummy printing job. It makes me think this was a rush job and surely a second edition will be made.
  • There are images showing the center console screens, but they are not screen shots, they are just black text on medium gray rectangle background. The font is too small and the contrast between text and background makes it virtually unreadable.
  • All throughout the manual it refers to "Color Radio" and "Display Radio". What does this mean? I deduced that these are different center console units. "Color Radio" is the small screen on the LX model; "Display Radio" is the 8 inch screen on the EX and Touring. In the manual they have two sections for each group of settings: "Color Radio" and then "Display Radio". But they print those words in black and standard text font! They don't look at all like a section header. Obviously they should have used different font and color. They did it elsewhere in the manual for other sections.
  • Many things are missing. For example I could not find any explanation of how to use the remote start (went to Accord manual for that). There is an AT&T Hotspot item, but no explanation of it.
  • I don't recall seeing a full presentation of all the instrument panel screens, and some of them are pretty obscure to me.

-----
Glenn Nelson in Santa Cruz
Insight 2019 Touring, Crimson Pearl, serial #01954
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 01:08 PM

Too bad Honda doesn't reach out to customers on communities like this like how other car makers do, at the same time its a good sign they don't, I come to Honda for a reason

How's your Insight aside from this situation?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmiler View Post
How's your Insight aside from this situation?
This my first hybrid. Suddenly I understand the annoying hyper-miling obsession
I have seen 66 MPG while driving in town and 54 MPG on my 40 mile commute (with a few modest hills on California Coast Hwy 1).
I'm replacing an Acura TSX (2007) that now has 200K miles and still drives like almost new! So the Insight has a tough comparison.
  • It's comfortable and quiet (with exception) and I like all the features and design.
  • The engine roars when ascending a hill, and that's in Eco mode, not Sport. My TSX isn't noisy like that.
  • The steering seems a bit sloppy - I can wiggle the steering wheel a bit. Need to try some mountain roads.
  • I've never had blind-spot warning (except in a rental), but can understand the criticism about having passenger video instead of blind spot.
  • As noted elsewhere, hte passenger seat is low - can't imagine why.
  • No obvious compartment for sunglasses.
That's it for now - I've hardly driven it!

-----
Glenn Nelson in Santa Cruz
Insight 2019 Touring, Crimson Pearl, serial #01954
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 09:46 PM

I Agree. Still don't know what the circle icon next to the trunk button is for. Plus a lot of misprints and missing words. Also, I had to google to find out what the paddle shifters were for.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkat View Post
I Agree. Still don't know what the circle icon next to the trunk button is for. Plus a lot of misprints and missing words. Also, I had to google to find out what the paddle shifters were for.
Use the 2020 Honda Insight owner manual instead if you own the 2019. http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...ATXM2020OM.PDF

The trunk button doesn't have any buttons next to it. What circle icon are you referring to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-23 ATXM2020OM PDF.png
Views:	13
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	4152  

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
To confirm, are you looking at the 2019 Owners Manual (vs 2019 Owners Guide)? The Owners Guide is atrocious, filled with misprints and errors, and not worth the paper it's printed on. Even though the car was delivered with it, I never used/referenced it until tips from it were mentioned for new users. BUT I've found the Owners Manual relatively accurate and invaluable in learning about the car.

Do you maybe mean the circle icon/button next to the fuel release (vs trunk release)? If so, it's called the "Safety Support Switch" in the Owners Manual and is used to temporarily turn off CMBS until next drive (OM p486), OR to turn off RDM until pressed on again (OM p519).

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Also in case helpful, some pages on the Deceleration Paddles are attached below (OM p29, p464-466), and the following threads may also be of interest.
- How to Use Paddles - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/20...n-paddles.html
- Paddles vs Brakes - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/25...vs-brakes.html

I see that this is your first post, so also welcome to the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paddle1.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	4154   Click image for larger version

Name:	paddle2.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	4156   Click image for larger version

Name:	paddlel3.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	4158   Click image for larger version

Name:	paddle4.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	4160  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 11:51 PM

I'm not sure where no put this question in the forum (Insightfully please help?)

The 2019 Insight Owners Guide, Owners Manual, etc. I have downloaded
from Honda and used for nearly a year, can suddenly no longer be opened.

Instead I get this popup :

"This file does not have a program associated with it
for performing this action. Please install a program
or, if one is already installed, create an association
in the Default Programs control panel"

I have no idea what that means, Ideas anyone ?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine51 View Post
The 2019 Insight Owners Guide, Owners Manual, etc. I have downloaded from Honda and used for nearly a year, can suddenly no longer be opened.

Instead I get this popup :
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel"

I have no idea what that means, Ideas anyone ?
Unfortunately, there's a program that's gone missing (or unmapped) on your computer. The files (PDFs) are still present since you downloaded them, but you'll need to assign a PDF reader program to open the file(s).

If you have a Windows PC, one way to do this mapping is under Settings --> Default Apps --> Choose Default Apps by File Type. Scroll down to see what program is assigned to open PDFs, and if nothing is listed, find a program/reader to assign (e.g. Adobe Acrobat Reader).
ddemetra likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 AM

Insightfully, you are the BEST !

I opened one of the files with Google Chrome and selected that as the preferred choice for that sort of file and now everything runs as expected

I just needed your nudge in the right direction

Thanks so very much

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page