Where's it built? - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Where's it built?

What plant puts the Insight together? Anyone have a picture of their window sticker with foreign parts content?
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK919 View Post
What plant puts the Insight together? Anyone have a picture of their window sticker with foreign parts content?
“The new Honda Insight exemplifies our growing investment in the production of electrified vehicles in America and our associates in Indiana are proud to play a key role in this initiative,” said Isao Matsuzaki, president of Honda Manufacturing of Indiana. “As the lead plant for Insight production globally, we are committed to delivering the quality and reliability that our customers expect.”

Three Ohio plants contribute to the Insight’s powertrain. Honda Transmission Manufacturing of America (HTM), in Russells Point, Ohio, has invested $29 million for production of the Insight’s twin electric motor unit, which is the heart of the Insight’s innovative gas-electric hybrid powertrain. The Insight’s hybrid battery pack is assembled at the company’s Marysville, Ohio auto plant, where Honda also produces the just-launched 2019 Accord Hybrid. The Insight’s 1.5-liter Atkinson-cycle gasoline engine is produced at the company’s Anna, Ohio engine plant. https://indiana.honda.com/article/ho...ion-in-indiana
Twitter

Honda of Indiana is where the Insight is made. (https://twitter.com/HondaIndiana)
Min Pin and Angie like this.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Last edited by andrew28; 03-30-2019 at 01:05 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Honda of Indiana celebrated making 2 million vehicles yesterday. In a press release, they have finally confirmed HMIN is the exclusive(Only found reference of being the lead plant previously) global producer of the 2019 Honda Insight. So that pretty much means the Japanese Insight is built in that facility. If I live in Indiana, I would probably go do a factory tour, and ask if I could buy some of the Japanese Insight's parts/accessories.

Quote:
In addition to CR-V, HMIN produces the Civic sedan and is the exclusive global producer of the 2019 Insight Hybrid. All Indiana-built vehicles are produced on the same production line, which demonstrates HMIN’s manufacturing flexibility. https://indiana.honda.com/article/ho...one-in-indiana

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:49 PM

I would definitely do a plant tour of the Indiana plant, but they're not doing them at the present time.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Honda also released a nice 2019 Digital Factbook, which also names the same 3 Ohio plants for the Insight as mentioned above. The factbook also provides info on their production strategy for other US vehicle manufacturing:
  • Insight Battery = Marysville, OH
  • Insight Engine = Anna, OH
  • Insight Transmission = Russells Point, OH
  • Insight Assembly = Greensburg, IN

The Insight Battery, Engine, and Transmission plants are within a 60 mile radius in Ohio, and the Greensburg Assembly plant is just 150 miles away from those Ohio locations.

Last edited by insightfully; 08-10-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:13 AM

ah crap, not Japan but freaking Indiana ????? disappointing
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matelot View Post
ah crap, not Japan but freaking Indiana ????? disappointing
It's kind of the 'way of the future' given tariffs. Honda's broader supply strategy has turned more 'local' than exporting from Japan. My prior 90s Civic was made in Canada.

The VIN includes location of assembly (among other production info), and it is coded into the first 3 numbers of VINs as a global standard among manufacturers.

Specific to Hondas sold in the US, the first VIN digit discloses one of the following assembly countries:
- J = Japan
- 1 = US
- 2 = Canada
- 3 = Mexico
- 4 = US
- S = UK

The 11th character provides info on assembly plant (duplicates are due to different country/region combination):
- A = Marysville, Ohio, USA
- B = Lincoln, Alabama, USA
- B = Aalst, Belgium
- C = Alliston, Ontario, Canada
- C = Saitama or Sayama, Japan
- D = Guadalajara, Mexico
- E = Greensburg, Indiana, USA
- E = Montesa, Spain
- F = Atessa, Italy
- F = Ping Tung Factory, Taiwan
- H = Alliston, Ontario, Canada
- J = Karawang Factory, Indonesia
- K = Kumamoto, Japan
- L = East Liberty, Ohio, USA
- M = Hamamatsu, Japan
- P = Ayutthaya Factory, Thailand
- R = Manaus, Brazil
- S = Suzuka, Japan
- T = Tochigi, Japan
- U = Swindon, England
- X = El Salto, Mexico
- Z = Sao Paulo, Brazil
- 1 = Manaus, Brazil
- 2 = Guangzhou Factory, China
- 3 = Huangpu Guangzhou Factory, China
- 4 = Timmonsville, South Carolina, USA

For our global Insights, which are produced at a single plant, all VINs have first digit of 1 (US) and have 11th digit of E (Greensburg, IN).

I geek out over things like this, so final bonus fun fact - all of our Gen3 Insights have "ZE4" in the VIN, which is Honda's identification for this generation of Insights. In Japan, this identifier is commonly used to identify models and find parts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:05 PM

thanks
I only know of the Marysville plant. I don't think I have ever seen another US location on stickers. Granted I have only ever looked at non-truck/SUV only.

How long has the Indiana plant been in operation and what models has it been producing ?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matelot View Post
thanks. I only know of the Marysville plant. I don't think I have ever seen another US location on stickers. Granted I have only ever looked at non-truck/SUV only.

How long has the Indiana plant been in operation and what models has it been producing ?
Check out Honda's 2019 Digital Factbook (click on 'photo' then download PDF).

It shares cool info all together in one booklet, like:
- Greensburg, Indiana, plant (Honda Manufacturing of Indiana, LLC) opened in 2007 (section 2.1)
- Greensburg produces the Civic, CR-V, and Insight, totaling 250k+ cars per year (section 4.2)
- Greensburg began producing Civics in October 2008, added CR-Vs in early 2017, and launched the Insight in May 2018 (section 4.2)
- The plant previously produced the Acura ILX from 2012 to 2014, and has produced 1.6 million total vehicles so far (section 4.8)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My 09 Civic and 14 CRV were built in Canada. The 19 Insight is my first car built in the USA. If I remember correctly my 17 Ford Fusion was built in Mexico. I didn't experience any major problems with my previous 3 cars and pretty sure the USA built 19 Insight will be the same.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page