Do Owners Shift Gears Without Looking at Buttons? - 2019 Honda Insight Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Do Owners Shift Gears Without Looking at Buttons?

In my previous 2014 and 2016 Civics I seldom looked down at my shift lever

To date, in my 2019 Insight (1,000 miles total) I have not been able to comfortably shift without looking at the buttons

If I get enough replies I will have a general sense of whether this is something I should practice (so as to master) or have many owners not gone the "no look" route
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Garage
I donít anymore but in the beginning I hit the e-brake button more times than I meant to.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

To date, I intentionally look at the gear selector when shifting. And I see myself doing this for as long as I own the car.

The Reverse "pull" is different enough from the rest that it MIGHT become touch-only over time, and I think I COULD find Park easily by touch since it's just above that gap. The other buttons (Neutral, Drive) are too close and similar sized to feel comfortable learning by touch over time.

While there's a digital display that shows which gear is selected, I notice it less among all other digital things on the drivers interface. And without the sound feedback that I'm used to for a gas engine shifting directions, the modes in electric all sound the same to me.

When I purchased the car, the push-button gear selector wasn't something I wanted. I decided the safest operation would be to visually check the gears before using, and it's still what makes me feel safest when using the car. It's 'just' a head turn, after all...
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Insightfully, your description almost perfectly matches my reaction. It bothers me that precious seconds may be lost in responding to a sudden emergency. I believe not enough testing has been done by all the auto makers using this or similar feature.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine51 View Post
Insightfully, your description almost perfectly matches my reaction. It bothers me that precious seconds may be lost in responding to a sudden emergency. I believe not enough testing has been done by all the auto makers using this or similar feature.
Agree - one recent example was @Mobilcams post in this thread, where brake/reverse interlock conflicted when making a 3-point turn.
Mobilcams likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I still do a quick glance when I shift before I let go of the brake. At least Honda positioned it near me and sort of up front. It's an improvement from the dumb dial shift on my ford fusion.

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I always look when shifting. I suppose I could train myself to drag my finger down the buttons and count to do it no-look.

Interesting about the interlock and three-point turns. It's rare I need to make one, so it never crossed my mind. I've always come to a full stop between reverse and forward when backing out of the driveway. I'm sure my wife would hate it. She rarely comes to a complete stop regardless opf how much I remind her how bad it is on her Civic's transmission.

2019 Orchid White Pearl Insight EX #6937, Warren County, New Jersey
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew28 View Post
I still do a quick glance when I shift before I let go of the brake. At least Honda positioned it near me and sort of up front. It's an improvement from the dumb dial shift on my ford fusion. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
That dial shift falls in a category of dumbness thats nearly beyond comparison. One of my biggest gripes in design on my fusion energi.

No matter where you go, there you are. Check out my Insight YouTube channel Verdier400.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 AM

After a month I don’t look anymore other than to park. In fact, one time I drove my dad’s car with a conventional shifter and instinctively tried to press the drive button. What I find helpful is placing my palm at the base of the curved shifter area kinda above the e-brakes, and my index finger will be perfectly in reach of the drive button and not the neutral.
Wolverine51 likes this.

EX Crimson Pearl purchased Mar, 2019

Last edited by wonthanh; 04-22-2019 at 01:17 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdier View Post
That dial shift falls in a category of dumbness thats nearly beyond comparison. One of my biggest gripes in design on my fusion energi.
When I'm in a rush with the Ford Fusion, usually the below 2 things happen.
  • I'm in drive, want to select reverse, turned it too far, and will end up in park.
  • I'm in reverse, want to select drive, turned it the wrong way, and end up with park.
Chrysler tried to outdo Ford. They made the Chrysler Pacifica a dial shifter and placed it near the volume knob...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aventura-Chrysler-Pacifica-Shifter-rotary-knob.png
Views:	46
Size:	569.2 KB
ID:	1852  

2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl) Insight #10,330
Manufactured 9/2018, Bought 12/28/2018

Click here (or use Active Topics on the nav bar) to check out the newest posts for the whole forum. More info on using the forum can be found here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page