Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

Alternate Oil Viscosity for the Insight

9K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  hondab100s@ 
#1 ·
What's the thought on people using 0w-16? I've seen 0w-20 all over here and I didn't even know they made lower weight oil...

#2 · (Edited)
There's an article from 2017 that talks about how 0W-16 has been used in Japan since the late 90s and/or planned to be used for 2018 model year in Japan. Using 0W-16 instead of 0W-20 on a Honda Fit yielded 2% fuel savings, and planned standard use in Japan included Honda hybrids and Toyota hybrids. It also became the standard for the US Camry and US Camry hybrid starting the 2018 model year.

https://www.noln.net/articles/2277-the-skinny-on-ow-16-oil
https://www.underhoodservice.com/oil-sn-plus-0w16/

...but that said, I'm a 'purist' and choose to use the 0W-20 Honda recommends for the Insight.

#3 · (Edited)
If you aren't in a climate that see's extreme high temperatures (regularly in the 100*+ range) I don't see any issue, Although I'd probably play it safe and only consider it for people that face truly cold starts (freezing and below).

Downside is for someone like me, 6 month oil changes, I could probably get away with it for the fall-spring oil. But we do see 100*+ rarely in the summer.

#4 ·
I had thought about 0w16 as well, but I'm not willing to take the risk of voiding a warranty for 2%. Honda may come out with a formal statement in the future. I'd wait until it's "official" before making that change.

Reactions: andrew28
#5 ·
But dude...2% more fuel efficient....??? lol. Yea. 0W-20 here in the house seems pretty liquidy as it is...I can't imagine what 0W-16 is like. I'd consider DC harsh driving conditions but not extreme...it gets blistering hot in the summer here but not upto 100...mid 90's...+ all the stop and go city traffic can really wear on a vehicle...

#8 ·
I recently purchased Kirkland Full synthetic oil at Costco on sale for $21.50 (normally $25) for the cases of 5 qt (2) jugs. That is an absolute low bottom price for full synthetic oil.
I saw the same price at my local Costco about 2 weeks ago. They're most likely trying to clear out the older ILSAC GF-5 for the newer GF-6 spec.

#10 ·
Honda's recommendation is "API premium-grade API 0W-20 detergent oil" (OM19 pg 653). But GF6-A is backward compatible if you want to use it. Officially, the 'new' oil is GF6-B at 0W-16.

Per Pennzoil:
  • GF-6A: Backward-compatible standard for SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30, and SAE 10W-30, but not SAE 0W-16. This standard will continue to utilize the starburst symbol for licensing.
  • GF-6B: New standard for SAE 0W-16 ONLY, developed to meet the needs of specific modern engines. This standard will not be backward-compatible to previous categories and will have a new licensing symbol for bottles.

Attachments

#12 ·
The reason I ask is because I was wondering if I should return one of the cases of the Kirkland oil that I bought to buy the GF6. I’m thinking just use up all the GF5 that I have now since it was so darn cheap.

I’m even wondering if the oil I have now is GF6.

#15 ·
Interestingly, Costco Canada, 0W-20 Full Synthetic is still GF-5 only

View attachment 5687
Motor oil manufacturers have until 5/1/2021(1 year from when GF6 became a standard) to get rid of their GF5 inventory. I think Costco will get GF6 soon if not already due to the high volume amount they sell. Here's what the new label looks like.

Amazon has Idemitsu 0w-20 GF6 right now. Also seen Vavoline GF6 at Advance Auto Parts recently.

#17 ·
So typically I get better mpg with mild weather. Worst mpg in cold weather(short trips less than 10miles). During summer I averaged 50mpg and 45mpg in winter. This was with 0w20 mobile. Then I used 0w16 mobile last September and so far I averaged 54mpg through the winter. Soooooo...what about 0w12.....thoughts?

#18 ·
Then I used 0w16 mobile last September and so far I averaged 54mpg through the winter. Soooooo...what about 0w12.....thoughts?
The Gen3 Insight's 0W-20 standard already 'feels' too thin to me, compared to the 5W-30 I use in my Gen6 Civic... so I'm personally just sticking with Honda's standard spec/reco for the Insight.

@Wifey'sInsight suggested that temperature extremes and oil change interval are a couple factors to consider when deviating from the manufacturer spec. Toyota even planned to deploy a 0W-8 spec for the Japanese market... so why stop at 0W-12? :)

#21 ·
I have no issue running my tires at higher pressures than recommended because I can monitor them for wear. I can SEE if there is a problem early if one develops.

I wouldn't run a thinner oil than spec'd as I wouldn't be able to see a problem with engine internals before it's too late.

Reactions: LowRider
#22 ·
But if I understand oil weight rating correctly 0w12 and 0w16 are the same at operating temperature. So the engine spends most of its running life at the 0 rating? I imagine the only concern is similar dry start or 0w12's ability to stay on moving parts just the same(as mentioned by andrew28). I think I read somewhere that Honda has been using 0w12 and even less overseas for years. But the engine in the insight isn't a normal one. Unfortunately the misses won't let me try anything that could jeopardize the warranty but that's where the wisdom in our marriage comes from lol

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Well huh...always assumed higher number was thicker....and is cold oil...thanks! I shall read! ---Ok read it... seems to leave out important detail to keep the explanation one size fits all. Like brands(with additives etc) and types of oils and engines. But none the less the numbers represent the oil's abilities to do it's job during cold and hot situations, respectively. So a little dilemma.... First 0w20 was very difficult to get a few years ago yet some automakers required it even though 5w20 could temporarily be used. So obviously there was a concern for oil being too thick for proper engine life/wear. Then 0w20 and a new integration of 0w16 became readily available and can apparently be used in the same vehicle that could handle 5w20... temporarily. Would it be a shock if Honda says 0w12 or even 0w8 is ok or even recommended once it becomes available(or more available) in the US?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.