Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda didn't skimp on the mid-cycle refresh of their flagship Accord sedan (unlike the 2021 Insight?), including performance upgrades to the Accord Hybrid and additional standard features on lower end models. The 2021 Accord 'officially' goes on sale at dealers on 10/13/20.

New features like Wireless CarPlay, blue front "H" hybrid logo, standard 8" display audio, rear USB ports, and parking sensors on higher trims catch my eye. Hopefully some or all of these get integrated into the 2022 Insight.

ALL ACCORDS
  • Wider, restyled grille and more seamless integration of the front center radar.
  • 8" Display Audio standard, including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
  • Front USB ports relocated to front center console.
  • New 'Rear Seat' occupant and 'Rear Seatbelt' reminders.
  • Updates to engine software for linear/responsive turbocharged engine throttle control.
  • Idle Stop performance improvement for quicker engine start-up when brake pedal is released.
  • Updated braking system for smoother engagement at low speeds.
  • Updates to Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) for smoother braking when following another car.
  • Updates to Lane Keeping Assist system (LKAS) for more natural lane centering.
  • New wheel designs for every trim.
SPORT TRIM & HIGHER
  • New LED high- and low-beam headlights with longer and wider throw, and smaller openings for the fog lights.
  • Dual 2.5-volt USB ports for rear seat passengers.
EX-L & TOURING
  • New alloy wheel designs
  • Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
  • Wireless phone charging
  • Standard body colored parking sensors
TOURING
  • New Low Speed Braking Control system - uses sonar based parking sensors to sense solid objects at low speeds and warn or apply brakes to avoid collision.
HYBRIDS
  • Programming updates for throttle response to yield a more natural acceleration feeling.
  • New blue accent on "H" front grill logo.
  • 19" wheels on Hybrid Touring trim.
OTHER
  • New Sport SE trim replaces EX 1.5T trim, and includes leather seats, heated front seats, a powered passenger seat, 12-way power driver's seat, heated mirrors, Smart Entry, and remote engine start. Also features a rear trunk lid spoiler, trim-specific 19-inch wheel design, LED fog lights, dark-chrome grille and chrome exhaust finishers.
  • New exterior "Sonic Gray Pearl" color for Sport and Touring trims.
Honda Press Release:
Video tour of changes:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
Part of me still thinks the 2021 model year Insight is not the mid-gen refresh. The 2018 model year Accord went on sale late 2017 while the 2019 model year Insight went on sale Summer 2018. It doesn't make sense to me Honda would refresh the Insight earlier than the Accord plus the fact they didn't change much to be consider a mid-gen refresh. I could be wrong but I'm looking forward to see what the 2022 model year Insight brings.

As for the Accord, Honda finally fixed the front bottom portion of the grille. I always thought the Accord look like as if Honda sent it out of the factory missing a piece of the bottom grille. Now that it has the chrome slats it kind of resemble the Japanese Insight grille at least partially. Honda still brave enough to have that huge opening to the AC condenser... :ROFLMAO:

The Accord sales have been tanking while the Civic is holding well against the CRV. Just looking at the pricing I think Honda is nuts to price it so similar to the CRV. For example, a Touring 2020 CRV Hybrid is $25 less than a Touring 2021 Accord Hybrid. Unless you want the 2.0Turbo I don't see why anyone would not just get a CRV if you need more space than a Civic.

Edit: Okay, I could also see why someone would pay more for an Accord due to the newer infotainment system, instrument cluster, sterring wheel, and platform.

·
Administrator
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Part of me still thinks the 2021 model year Insight is not the mid-gen refresh. The 2018 model year Accord went on sale late 2017 while the 2019 model year Insight went on sale Summer 2018. It doesn't make sense to me Honda would refresh the Insight earlier than the Accord plus the fact they didn't change much to be consider a mid-gen refresh. I could be wrong but I'm looking forward to see what the 2022 model year Insight brings.
I still believe the 2023 Insight will be absorbed into the Gen11 / 2022 Civic, rather than introducing a new generation of the Insight. If this holds true, 2021 would be the mid-point between Gen3 2019 introduction and potential 2023 integration into the Civic. Honda isn't promoting the Insight, so it also fits that Honda didn't invest/add as much into the Insight refresh as they did with their flagship Accord sedan.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,287 Posts
The Insight generations only last 5-6 years, so that's about right.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,758 Posts
@insightfully crushing my dreams of a Japanese Insight like mid-gen refresh. :LOL:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts