Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
Discussion Starter #1
I keep thinking the 11th gen Civic was going to be introduce for the 2022 model year but it seems like it will happen for the 2021 model year. Which means we should expect to see it at dealerships later this year. The last vehicle Honda fully redesigned was the Fit and they said future vehicles will share some of Honda E's design. I wonder if the new Civic will look less aggressive similar to the Insight's design. Also if they don't announce a Civic Hybrid the Insight will live on. 馃榿

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
Civic Sedan

Civic Type R

Administrator
From Car & Driver, I think there was mention that this was a 2022 Type-R Gen11 prototype. The shape of the wrapped versions resembles BMW 3 Series IMO. But the unwrapped rendering looks similar (almost unchanged?) to the current GenX to me. Posted a GenX picture below to compare against the Gen11 prototypes above.

It comes with super-interesting looking rims. And it looks like they ditched the 'crab claw' rear brake lights, which is a plus. But the design remains different from the Insight, and has some sort of weird body trim segmentation. I wonder if all trims will have LED headlights standard like the display models, rather than only being on upper trim.

If Honda sticks to their standard timing (and sales rebound from covid-depressed levels), the 2022 model year Civic should start hitting showrooms in Oct 2021. Popular consensus on the Civic forum is that the 2021 model year Civic (launching Oct 2020) will remain as current 10th generation design.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #5
The 4th gen Fit test car was first spotted a year before the official reveal. The 11th gen Civic will be for the 2022 model year if we're just seeing these test cars now. Design looks finalized if going by the first spy shots of the 4th gen Fit, too.
^9/28/18, 4th gen Fit announced 10/23/19.

I'm not liking the grille design where they're exposing the AC condenser even more to flying rocks...

Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
I'm not liking the grille design where they're exposing the AC condenser even more to flying rocks...
Well, it's not like Honda will cover the repairs when the condenser gets wrecked with road debris!

"Not our problem" - Honda 4th Gen Fit Grille Engineer

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #7
Some new renderings from motor1.com.

Next gen civic starting to look like somewhere between current Civic and Accord.

Administrator
I saw these the other day as well. Maybe I'm not enough of a Type-R diehard, but I don't see much difference between the Gen11 and GenX... they seem like very minor changes to my untrained eye.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10
Honda sort of did the same thing from 8th to 9th gen Civic. They even had to go back and redesign the 9th gen after the 2012 model year came out.

Reviews of the 2012 Civic were generally lackluster, with many reviewers citing the car's cheap interior materials, along with worsened driving dynamics and insubstantial exterior styling changes from the previous generation, as drawbacks. Consumer Reports went so far as to remove the 2012 Civic from its 'Recommended' list of compact cars, which the vehicle had been on for many years.[25]. In addition to Consumer Reviews, Edmunds_(company) reported issues with excessive wind noise, cheap interior plastics, and a small trunk. Partly in response, Honda introduced a heavily revamped Civic for the 2013 model year.
Honda CEO Takanobu Ito explained that the 2012 model was developed during the height of the global financial crisis, which led the company to believe that consumers would be willing to forego upscale content and quality in new vehicles so long as they were fuel efficient and affordable. Ironically, rival automakers such as Ford and Hyundai increased the quality and feature content of their compact vehicles around the same time, pushing sales of Civic rivals such as the Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra to new heights in the United States.
Covid-19 could be making the bean counters at Honda repeat history again...

Administrator
Horrible paint job! Looks like graffiti
LOL... it's intentional camoflauge, via vinyl wrap application. In theory, it's intended to "fool the eye" including cameras and software (i.e. makes active autofocus camera systems struggle to take a quality picture). It won't be a standard exterior paint option anytime soon. :)

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...a-camo-explained-whats-with-the-swirlies.html
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/20/cam...way-car-makers-test-drive-new-prototypes.html

Administrator
If Honda sticks to their standard timing (and sales rebound from covid-depressed levels), the 2022 model year Civic should start hitting showrooms in Oct 2021. Popular consensus on the Civic forum is that the 2021 model year Civic (launching Oct 2020) will remain as current 10th generation design.
Another mini-factoid supporting that the Gen11 Civic will be 2022 model year (late-2021 launch): 2022 will mark the Civic's 50th year of existence (!!), since the Civic was first introduced July 1972. Would be an impressive milestone and marketing play for Honda to launch the re-designed Gen11 Civic alongside reminders of the legacy and anniversary of the Civic.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #14
Photos of the sedan and hatchback have leaked from Honda patents.

Sedan

Hatchback

The rear is starting to look sort of like the Insight. :whistle:

I think Honda is getting rid of the chrome wing grille for the Civic and using a similar design as the 4th gen Fit grille.

Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
Thank God they re-did the taillights and got rid of the fake rear-end vents! It almost looks like the Insight's rear.

Administrator
The hatchback rendering looks rather sedan-like from the rear and doesn't look half bad (i.e. not overly sporty like the GenX version). If this style had been available, I would have preferred it on the Insight over a standard trunk.

Administrator
Photos of the sedan and hatchback have leaked from Honda patents.
...what I don't get is why this is patent- or trademark-worthy, which is where the sketches were obtained. It certainly looks a lot like the Insight from exterior, and interior layout doesn't look that special. The only reason I can think of is that Honda is making this 'filing to ensure the 50th year anniversary model design will be 'special.'

But I guess this approach is what Honda does, as with their prior release of GenX / 2016 patent renderings. The actual production models look exactly like the renderings, which suggests the Gen11 drawings are pretty close to final/reality as well.

Administrator
Hmmm... not loving the front end profile. It looks cheap/old. I prefer the more modern look of the Insight. The rear end reminds me of the current Kia Stinger design. It also looks like the infotainment screen will be mounted above the dashboard horizon (with a spot for in-dash speaker behind it), which I don't love as a "feature." Toyota says it keeps the screen at easier eye level glance for the driver, but I say it distracts from my view of the road.

Registered
Civic 2022 Teaser Video - > Civic Hybrid/Insight 2022?

Here's the official teaser video for Civic 2022 which shows without camouflage what it'll look like and whether we'll be looking at a Civic Hybrid back in 2022 or the Insight continuing to choose its own look.

Administrator
Here's the official teaser video for Civic 2022 which shows without camouflage what it'll look like and whether we'll be looking at a Civic Hybrid back in 2022 or the Insight continuing to choose its own look.
Looks like the full reveal will be Tuesday, Nov. 17, on the Honda Head2Head Twitch channel, starting at 8 p.m. EST, with full unveiling at 9:45 p.m. EST. - 2022 Civic: Coming Soon | Honda

I think we'll see the push-button gear selector and upgraded Honda Sensing on the 2022 Civic. I think the new Honda Sensing upgrades is why the Accord got such a "major" mid-cycle refresh compared to prior years, to ensure the Accords remains Honda's flagship/premium model ahead of the Civic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts