Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know the smaller battery is located underneath the Electronic Shifter. That is according to our salesman. Would love to know for sure if anyone knows better.

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
Your salesman is correct. I'm hopeful that keeping the battery out of the elements would mean it would last longer than a standard battery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is going to be a pricey little job when that battery needs to be replaced. Now I learn I can't even tender that battery when I park the car for 2 months and go South. I love driving the car, but the more I learn about it the more I wish I had just bought another Civic. Especially now with Ohio "user fee" on hybrids.

·
Registered
154 Posts
12 volt battery is covered by basic 3 years or 36,000 miles warranty. Battery can be charged/maintained by AGM compatible devices. Also, three years from now there will probably be reasonably priced replacements for this battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
It's the labor that is going to cost. Honda will ream us on that I'm sure
The battery will likely last for 6+ years, so its failure is not something I'm going to worry about. Since maintenance for the Insight appears to be less than a normal car, any additional cost of its battery replacement would be offset. I'm getting almost 2X the Civic mpg numbers, so I'll more than make up for the additional cost. I didn't buy my Insight the cost savings. I bought it for the comfort and experience. Any monetary savings is a bonus.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
It's the labor that is going to cost. Honda will ream us on that I'm sure
I have multiple Honda dealerships near me and they usually run battery specials ranging from $110-130 w/installation like the one below.

Offer expires: 04/25/2019
Replacement batteries are covered for a 100-month (8 years and 4months) limited warranty.

Warranty Coverage: During the first 36 months (3 years) of service, a defective replacement battery will be replaced at no cost for the battery, labor, or installation. For the remaining 64 months (5 yearsand 4 months), you will receive a credit toward the purchase of the battery.

This credit is based on the then-current retail price:
Months 37 to 45: 60%
Months 46 to 55: 50%
Months 56 to 65: 40%
Months 66 to 75: 30%
Months 76 to 85: 20%
Months 86 to 95: 10%
Months 96 to 100: 5%
^You also get a warranty with the replacement battery when installed by a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Manufacturers have been putting 12v batteries in cabins for decades. My old VW bugs were under the rear seat, as was my fathers Buick LeSabre. I doubt that it’s really that complicated to change. Heck, they even included the tool for removing it with the car! We just need the instructions. Hopefully, one of our mechanically inclined forum members will document the process before I need to replace mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with Mr. Natural. I have a 2000 Miata which has the battery in the trunk. It is an absorbed glass mat battery as well. A typical flooded battery lasts 3 to 5 years whereas an absorbed glass mat battery lasts 6 to 10 years or longer. With that in mind, cost is not really an issue and although I haven't tried to remove my Insight battery and hopefully won't have to for a good number of years I don't expect it to be a problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope everyone is right about the battery lasting a long time. My service dept told me that even if they run specials that the Insight won't be included since the work is more involved. It would be done on a strictly time and material basis. The one question that no one at the dealer seems to be able to answer is whether I can tender my battery when I am gone for 2 or 3 months. Most agree that it should not be done. Of course it can be jumped but not tendered. I would think that would hurt the life of the unit. I guess the vehicle is too new to have some of these things answered. For instance, I always purchase Weathertech floor linings for previous cars but they are not available for the Insight. I called several times and finally was connected with someone who said the company makes products on demand and there hasn't been any demand from Insight owners. I said ok, I'll just by Husky brand. And I did.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
AGM Battery advantages

• Product life lasts up to two times longer
  • Designed to handle extreme temperatures
  • Ideal for vehicles equipped with lots of electronics
  • Slower discharge in storage
  • Outstanding vibration resistance
  • No free-flowing electrolyte or spill hazard
  • Consistent powerful performance
  • Can be installed at odd angles
  • Can handle start/stop engines better
I never knew AGM batteries existed until the Honda Insight. Based on my research, I would had probably replaced the stock battery, with an AGM battery if my car didn't come with one. I haven't asked my local dealership if the battery specials apply to the AGM battery but it probably doesn't now that @FRR brought it up. Based on @Misterb 's estimates of at least 6 years, at $400(The price should go down by the time we need a replacement and if you check for pricing at other nearby Honda dealerships) for a replacement installed, it still comes out to around $67 per year which isn't that much. Annual fuel savings & less chance of brake pad replacement on a hybrid helps out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts