Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Where can I find the amperage limit of the 12v accessory outlet ?
On page 221 of Owners Manual:

"The accessory power socket is designed to supply power for 12-volt DC accessories that are rated 180 watts (15 amps) or less. To prevent 12-volt battery drain, only use the power socket with the power system on."

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,064 Posts
On page 221 of Owners Manual:

"The accessory power socket is designed to supply power for 12-volt DC accessories that are rated 180 watts (15 amps) or less. To prevent 12-volt battery drain, only use the power socket with the power system on."
Added note: Although the power system is "on" while using the accessory setting, the power will be cut and accessory turned off in one hour to conserve battery life. Honda really has thought of everything.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I hope you both get enough sleep in between researching and answering questions on this forum !

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just for future reference watts/volts=amperage. 180w/12v=15a.

(Note that there is always some over-engineering, and standard car electrical systems are based on 12v, but 12v batteries are commonly charged to 13.8-14.4v when the car is running)

Another rule of thumb is that max amperage is often fused, or designated for safety reasons (overheating), so if you have to push the envelope, try to stick to a device that has a max load rating of 15 amps, even if (like an inverter) it states that it can produce a higher wattage. I'm not saying an 1800 watt inverter is going to work in our cars, but something like a 200w inverter, as long as the car is running should be well within the engineered tolerances.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just to be clear, "power on" does not mean that gas engine must be running does it ?
If you are using a higher demand device, it would make more sense to have the car "running". If it's just like a phone charger or something, the accessory mode should be sufficient. The downside of this is the car will shut off the port to protect the 12v battery.

Things like an air compressor, the car should definitely be on for.

If the car is "on" but in EV mode, it'll turn on the gas engine when needed.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Step 3 in the Honda video says "start the vehicle" which is more than just pushing the power button twice. Am I missing something here ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I know that. But some references seem to say that being in Power Mode is sufficient for using the 12 volt outlet. I'm convinced I should start the engine. Thanks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah I know that. But some references seem to say that being in Power Mode is sufficient for using the 12 volt outlet. I'm convinced I should start the engine. Thanks.
I think the disconnect is the engine running part. If the car is "running" the engine isn't necessarily running as well (if in EV mode). But if the power demand requires more electricity to be generated, the ICE will kick on to provide as necessary.

Power Mode is sufficient as it will engage the ICE as needed, and only use the amount of gas needed (except for the obvious "warm up" period that engages every time the ICE runs the first time in a ignition cycle)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts