Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my experience AGM batteries fail quickly, and are much more prone to manufacturing defects.

Lead acid batteries, are much more forgiving due to the simplicity of construction, and fail slowly overtime, in most cases.

Manufacturing defects include thing like the mats which are prone to physical damage whether from manufacturing processes, shipping, storage, and so on...

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
In my experience AGM batteries fail quickly, and are much more prone to manufacturing defects.

Lead acid batteries, are much more forgiving due to the simplicity of construction, and fail slowly overtime, in most cases.

Manufacturing defects include thing like the mats which are prone to physical damage whether from manufacturing processes, shipping, storage, and so on...
Do you think the Insight has an AGM battery (and not the Clarity nor Accord Hybrid) because of its placement in the cabin? Is a conventional lead acid battery 'less safe' for in-cabin placement?

I've averaged ~3 years per lead acid battery, and was hoping for more/longer with AGMs based on the following thread. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...26-12-volt-agm-battery-specs-replacement.html

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think the Insight has an AGM battery (and not the Clarity nor Accord Hybrid) because of its placement in the cabin? Is a conventional lead acid battery 'less safe' for in-cabin placement?

I've averaged ~3 years per lead acid battery, and was hoping for more/longer with AGMs based on the following thread. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...26-12-volt-agm-battery-specs-replacement.html
I do believe that battery placement was definitely a factor in deciding to use AGM vs. Conventional.

Generally speaking AGM battery failures from manufacturing defect happen sooner rather than later. Yes AGM batteries are sealed and are regarded as safer alternatives in terms of off-gassing and if the vehicle was involved in an accident etc...

Conventional lead acid batteries when placed in a vehicle are generally placed in an enclosure to mitigate some of these risks.

·
Registered
13 Posts

In my experience oem agm batteries are fine in hybrid cars. The large problem with agm batteries is they loose their ability to recharge if they are ever fully drained, they will fail a battery test right away after recharging. Owners that install an aftermarket remote start, keep their heated seats on at all times, have a four accessories plugged into the 12v outlet are going to have a bad time with a small agm battery.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my experience oem agm batteries are fine in hybrid cars. The large problem with agm batteries is they loose their ability to recharge if they are ever fully drained, they will fail a battery test right away after recharging. Owners that install an aftermarket remote start, keep their heated seats on at all times, have a four accessories plugged into the 12v outlet are going to have a bad time with a small agm battery.
I should clarify when I say "fails quickly"

What I mean is that when the battery is going to fail, there will be very little time between first signs and failure. I'm not implying that they do not have a longer service life at all. I just wanted to further clarify my statement.

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
I should clarify when I say "fails quickly"

What I mean is that when the battery is going to fail, there will be very little time between first signs and failure. I'm not implying that they do not have a longer service life at all. I just wanted to further clarify my statement.
Given this, should AGM battery health be checked more frequently than conventional batteries? Or is it just luck of the draw on timing?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given this, should AGM battery health be checked more frequently than conventional batteries? Or is it just luck of the draw on timing?
I think this has been Honda's approach honestly. Every time my car has been in for service, they have checked the battery.

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
I think this has been Honda's approach honestly. Every time my car has been in for service, they have checked the battery.
Same... but being a low-mileage driver, my trips to the dealer only occur annually for oil change. Was giving some thought to whether I buy a meter to check more frequently than that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same... but being a low-mileage driver, my trips to the dealer only occur annually for oil change. Was giving some thought to whether I buy a meter to check more frequently than that.
Typically just checking voltage doesn't tell anyone much, not saying it's a bad practice, but the kind of meter that would actually test battery health would be very cost prohibitive for most.

Best practice would to have the funds set aside to replace the battery when it becomes an issue. Typically a conventional lead acid battery can still function for months and months even though it's failing (even longer if in a warm climate). An AGM battery failure would most likely be an issue that can't be nursed along for very long. I don't want it to sound immediate, it's not like you'll go to start your car and bam it's dead and can't be jumped, but I would suggest that all owners be cognizant of how hard your car turns over, low battery warnings, electrical bugs etc...

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
An AGM battery failure would most likely be an issue that can't be nursed along for very long. I don't want it to sound immediate, it's not like you'll go to start your car and bam it's dead and can't be jumped, but I would suggest that all owners be cognizant of how hard your car turns over, low battery warnings, electrical bugs etc...
In terms of gauging how a hybrid car turns over... would that be tracking just when the gas engine engages? There's almost no sound when the car starts in EV mode.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In terms of gauging how a hybrid car turns over... would that be tracking just when the gas engine engages? There's almost no sound when the car starts in EV mode.
Good point, sorry it's been so cold here, I'm getting used to the gas motor engaging on start-up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Finally got around to testing my agm battery. Looks like the float voltage overnight was at 12.2V which is quite low. Popped my hobby charger on the battery and getting it charged up.. Don't worry. My charge voltage and current is well within the agm specs for charging. If it drops down that low again I may take it into honda for a free replacement...might want to get it now in the first year of ownership rather than pay out of pocket down the road...

·
Administrator
4,490 Posts
Finally got around to testing my agm battery. Looks like the float voltage overnight was at 12.2V which is quite low. Popped my hobby charger on the battery and getting it charged up.. Don't worry. My charge voltage and current is well within the agm specs for charging.
I haven't checked my battery aside from 'standard' annual dealer diagnostics, so a little concerned (though the car starts okay and I don't run any non-standard accessories).

What do you use to test AGM battery, and what was the voltage after charging? Are there any added accessories that could be causing drain to the 12V battery while car is off?

Do the following guidelines/thresholds look right for a 12V AGM battery?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Greetings to all. I will express my opinion on the possible causes of the problems. Everything is very similar to the fact that the 12 volt battery is discharged. What can discharge a 12 volt battery? - Anything. For example, when the car is standing and the ignition is off, the 12 volt battery is discharged from music or the radio, it also consumes the parking brake. The battery itself is not large and if it is deeply discharged several times and not charged, then its capacity could significantly decrease and the low capacity of a 12 volt battery can lead to many errors in all systems. The dealer must first charge a 12 volt battery and check its capacity. And check all the blocks for 12 volt battery power loss. The 12 volt battery is charged in motion from the motor generator and from the high voltage battery when the car is standing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Another important point. For example, a 12-volt battery requires a charge, you turn on the ignition, a 12-volt battery starts charging due to a high-voltage battery, it takes some time and the level of the high-voltage battery decreases and the engine turns on, the engine charges the high-voltage battery to the set upper level and the engine turns off, but the status is as follows - the ignition is on, the 12 volt battery DOES NOT CHARGE, but discharges. In order for the 12 volt battery to charge, you need to turn off and turn on the ignition (ready for driving). Keep this in mind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are testing a Honda Insight with a discharged 12 V battery, the errors of ABS and other systems will glow. But in fact, there are no errors, they just appear due to the low battery voltage. Demand to re-test the battery and find the reasons for its low charge. There are two reasons. The first is the charging problem - you need to check how the battery is charging, and the second is the increased discharge of one of the circuits. Honda Diagnostic Systems has a special section showing how much energy was spent while standing. Usually it is 0.04 A per hour. If more - you need to look for what “eats” the charge.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Watch the video. The Insight was turned on in the accessory mode and the battery was discharged 12 volts. The high voltage battery is charged. Errors lighting all systems.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Watch the video. The Insight was turned on in the accessory mode and the battery was discharged 12 volts. The high voltage battery is charged. Errors lighting all systems.
I see the Power System warning, I never got that one. The strange thing is I never just have my 2020 Insight in Acc Mode. I always put it in ICE Mode so the Engine is running even if its just for 10 minutes while I'm dusting it off in the Garage. I also put it in ICE Mode when I did the Audio update a month ago.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you test a Honda Insight with a low battery of 12 volts, the errors of ABC and other systems will glow. But in fact there are no errors, they just appear because of the low battery voltage. Demand testing the battery again and looking for the reasons for its low charge. There are two reasons. The first is the charge problem - you need to check how the battery is charging, the second is the increased discharge of one of the circuits. In Honda Diagnostic Systems there is a special section showing how much energy was spent during standing. This is usually 0.04 A per hour on average. If more - you need to look for what "eats" the charge. View attachment 5453
I don't have any extra add on Electronic Gadgets, just what comes with the Factory Touring version. I can see why this would possibly cause the Dash light warnings I posted, but not the 5 Honda Link warnings all about the Brake System only. It's probably not that easy for an Owner to test their Battery properly without the correct diagnostic Tools.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I see the Power System warning, I never got that one. The strange thing is I never just have my 2020 Insight in Acc Mode. I always put it in ICE Mode so the Engine is running even if its just for 10 minutes while I'm dusting it off in the Garage. I also put it in ICE Mode when I did the Audio update a month ago.
There are much more errors - there are a lot of red icons. They are described in detail in the Owner's Manual. And a power system error is one of the errors that is displayed as the main one. I would recommend that you change the dealer, ask another dealer to test the car, charge the 12 volt battery, check the charging voltage of the 12 volt battery under the load on the car. Also check the brake system (electronic part and mechanical part). Next - drive and watch, while it is advisable to carefully treat the battery voltage of 12 volts - minimize not to use when the ignition is off. Also remember that if you turn on the ignition, and do not move, and the engine has completed the recharging cycle of the high-voltage battery, and the engine has turned off, then at that moment the 12-volt battery stops charging and it is discharged. To charge the 12 V battery, turn off the ignition and turn it on again. At least try to follow this first time. And then, after the agreed time, call the dealer and retest for errors and check the battery level of 12 volts. I hope you find the cause of the errors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts