Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just hit the 18K mark on my odometer today. Have to say, i've been very pleased with this car since the day I baught it. I had a 2016 Civic LX prior to this Insight, and the Insight is a much much better car. Some people say the Insight is just another Civic. From driving both, they're really not.

MPG review. Have been mostly driving in the city. Most days I typically get between 49-55 mpg depending on the weather and how I drive. I can usually go the whole month with spending less than $100 on gas and I live in California where gas is expensive.

Maintanence costs on the Insight is very low compared to the Civic. I now do my own oil changes every 7K miles. So even two oil changes a year only costs me about $75 total for the year while using the highest quality oil and filter. Plus other basic maintanence like air filters and coolant, I'd say total yearly maintanence is $100 if you can do it on your own. And just as another comparison to the Civic. At the time I had the Civic, I had to get an oil change roughly every 2 months because the 2016 Civic 2.0 Liter engines were known for burning a lot of oil. Especially after passing the 30K miles mark. The maintanence minder on the car would say to change the oil every 2,700 miles. Just on oil changes done at a shop, I paid $400 in one year. Plus I baught a new engine air filter that I replaced, cabin air filter replacement and one container of Honda coolant. My maintanence for that one year was over $450. Compared to the $100 a year im spending now on the Insight and just doing the two oil changes a year myself.

Other than that, the ride quality is above average for compact cars in this price range. Have had a small electrical issue that I was able to fix myself. The Honda Sensing has helped me avoid car accidents a couple times. ( cars cutting me off )

Styling is great, IMO it looks much better than every other hybrid in the price range under 30k (Toyota Prius, Hyundai Ioniq, Kia Niro). I think you get a lot of bang for your buck especially with the touring trim.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,907 Posts
1st year
  • $45 oil change @ Honda
  • $26 tire rotation and balance @ Costco
2nd year
  • $45 oil change @ Honda
  • $17 Honda cabin air filter from online
  • Wiper inserts or Wiper blades w/inserts $20-$40 depending on what I choose to get
3rd year
  • $45 oil change @ Honda
  • $90 brake fluid change due to time @ Honda
  • $20 Honda engine air filter from online
  • Maybe new tires $500-$600
I've my maintenance cost planned out above and the Insight is definitely cheaper to maintain vs my previous vehicles. Saving money at the pump averaging 50mpg lifetime so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st year
  • $45 oil change @ Honda
2nd year
  • $45 oil change @ Honda
  • $17 Honda cabin air filter from online
  • Wiper inserts or Wiper blades w/inserts $20-$40 depending on what I choose to get
3rd year
  • $45 oil change @ Honda
  • $90 brake fluid change due to time @ Honda
  • $20 Honda engine air filter from online
  • Maybe new tires $500-$600
I've my maintenance cost planned out above and the Insight is definitely cheaper to maintain vs my previous vehicles. Saving money at the pump averaging 50mpg lifetime so far.
Nice, thats really low cost. BTW, i ordered like 5 cabin air filter from amazon for around 5 bucks for each one, so its less than you said if its still available. Im not sure if its still that price but thats how much I paid. I compared it to my OEM filter that came with my Insight, its literally the same exact thing.

Also, my planned maintanence is a little higher than yours because I put a lot of miles on my car so I need to do an oil change twice a year. And I try to do it every 7K miles to keep the engine clean and make it last as long as possible since I did purchase the car and didnt lease it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts