Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring - Cosmic Blue/Ivory
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used or tried using these 19 "Civic rims on their Insight?

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
147 Posts
I'm not a wheel expert, but the only thing that wheel has going for it is the matching bolt pattern.

These are the specs here: 2020 HONDA CIVIC 2020 19" OEM WHEEL RIM

Let's start with width and offset. The offset is 10mm larger than the Insight's OEM wheel. It's also 8" wide compared to 7" on OEM. If my math is correct, that puts your inner wheel location about an inch and a half inward. I'm not sure how that will work clearance-wise.

Lastly, being 19" rims, I don't think you'd find a tire with a small enough aspect ratio to maintain an equal overall diameter (for keeping your speedometer from going out of spec).

I'll see what others say, but I'm leaning toward them not working with the Insight just based on my own knowledge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone used or tried using these 19 "Civic rims on their Insight? View attachment 6512
I'm not a wheel expert, but the only thing that wheel has going for it is the matching bolt pattern.

These are the specs here: 2020 HONDA CIVIC 2020 19" OEM WHEEL RIM

Let's start with width and offset. The offset is 10mm larger than the Insight's OEM wheel. It's also 8" wide compared to 7" on OEM. If my math is correct, that puts your inner wheel location about an inch and a half inward. I'm not sure how that will work clearance-wise.

Lastly, being 19" rims, I don't think you'd find a tire with a small enough aspect ratio to maintain an equal overall diameter (for keeping your speedometer from going out of spec).

I'll see what others say, but I'm leaning toward them not working with the Insight just based on my own knowledge.
Actually a 235/35/19 is practically identical and has the same circumference as the stock 215/50/17. The offset is a concern and using some calculation with the 235/35/19 tire it vets out this way;
The inner sidewall to the suspension and frame is: 0.79" closer
The outer sidewall is: 0.01" farther out.
Top of tire to fender: Identical

In addition;
Tire Circumference: 80.0"
Revs/Mile: Identical at 792
Tire Width: 215/50/17 @ 8.5"
235/35/1 @ 9.3"

Again, this is of course if using the 235/35/19 tire. Remember although rim offset is important, the most concern is the width of the tire.

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
147 Posts
Actually a 235/35/19 is practically identical and has the same circumference as the stock 215/50/17. The offset is a concern and using some calculation with the 235/35/19 tire it vets out this way;
The inner sidewall to the suspension and frame is: 0.79" closer
The outer sidewall is: 0.01" farther out.
Top of tire to fender: Identical

In addition;
Tire Circumference: 80.0"
Revs/Mile: Identical at 792
Tire Width: 215/50/17 @ 8.5"
235/35/1 @ 9.3"

Again, this is of course if using the 235/35/19 tire. Remember although rim offset is important, the most concern is the width of the tire.
Looks like you've done your math and research. My math was quick and dirty and again, I'm no expert. I personally wouldn't do it, but it's all based on your comfort level. If you do it and find it successful, then great! Would love to see how it looks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my biggest concern is how much ride will suffer from the smaller side wall. Then again if comfort was that much of a concern I would have bought a car with a more comfy drivers seat...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go for it! I wouldn't hesitate. I love my si wheels and wouldn't have done it any different. The ride doesn't suffer, but the mpg dropped to 47.
Looks great! What size rims and tires do you have on the front of your Insight? And are the rears a different size or is it just me...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think my biggest concern is how much ride will suffer from the smaller side wall. Then again if comfort was that much of a concern I would have bought a car with a more comfy drivers seat...
35 section is really stiff but The Insight suspension is sooooo cushy I don't think you will feel it. Like the other poster mentioned, won't feel it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks great! What size rims and tires do you have on the front of your Insight? And are the rears a different size or is it just me...
It's an optical illusion. They are the same rims. They are factory Si take offs. I found them on a civic forum for sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts