Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question about "maintenance minder". My Insight now has 5600 miles and so far no maintenance reminder has appeared. But I purchased the service contract and I can bring it in at 5,000 miles. So I'm planning to do that.
Please tell me at what mileage did you see the maintenance reminder appear?
On my last car (Acura TSX 2007), there was a display item that showed me percent of oil (that is, you now only have 15% life on the oil). I haven't found such a display on this car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got a question about "maintenance minder". My Insight now has 5600 miles and so far no maintenance reminder has appeared. But I purchased the service contract and I can bring it in at 5,000 miles. So I'm planning to do that.
Please tell me at what mileage did you see the maintenance reminder appear?
On my last car (Acura TSX 2007), there was a display item that showed me percent of oil (that is, you now only have 15% life on the oil). I haven't found such a display on this car.
There is an option to show you oil life on the car on the driver information interface on the left side the dash under maintenance.

Also oil life is displayed on the Honda link app if you have it installed on your phone.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You can also see the oil life, etc. and reset on the Display Audio. System > Vehicle > Maintenance Info

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny enough, I just received my first Maintenance Minder message this morning at 15% oil life left. Considering I'm at over 10,000 miles on the original oil/filter I'm impressed. I'm used to oil/filter changes at 5,000 or 7,500 miles.

Also, my gas mileage has started to dip a bit now that its' getting colder :-/

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny enough, I just received my first Maintenance Minder message this morning at 15% oil life left. Considering I'm at over 10,000 miles on the original oil/filter I'm impressed. I'm used to oil/filter changes at 5,000 or 7,500 miles.
Brought my car in today for first maintenance with 5800 miles, even though I had no indicator show up. Service guy told me that Honda calculates percent "remaining" on the engine oil based on how it is driven - no surprise. He also said that the algorithm was probably less than perfect, since number of miles between changes seems to vary quite a lot. Even my 2007 Acura TSX did something like this. I also wonder if this hybrid engine has a lot less stress on it, since it doesn't often rev to high speed and doesn't always have the stress of driving the wheels directly.

In any case, I have maintenance contract and I get service every 5,000 miles for 3 years (or did I buy 5 years?).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the vehicle maintenance page. With 6200 miles on the odometer, it told me I had 50% life remaining on the oil!!!
Nevertheless, I brought it in for the 5K service that I get for "free" on the maintenance contract. Asked them to rotate tires too.
I figured that if I brought my car in every 5K miles, which I think is the timing stated in the contract, then I was getting a reasonable deal. But the dealer will clearly make out well on these contracts if people only bring in the car when the maintenance minder tells them.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
307 Posts
Hello guys,

I'm a little over 5k miles so I'll do the first maintenance soon. It's also my first new car and also my first maintenance appointment ever so I have no idea how things go.

I also have two minor problems:
  • a little noise coming from the driver wheel at every tire rotation
  • the tiny triangular rear window seal came undone in the inside of the car.

My questions:

1) What's the best way to do it: call them, and hopefully they will order the parts if needed (for the seal)?
2) Then they will be able to do everything in one appointment?
3) These two issues are obviously covered by the warranty?
4) What else is expected from the 1st maintenance, oil change and tire rotation?
5) Any idea of fee + duration?

Bonus question for @andrew28, it will probably be at Honda Everett if you have any insider advice

Thank you!

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
I'm a little over 5k miles so I'll do the first maintenance soon. It's also my first new car and also my first maintenance appointment ever so I have no idea how things go.
Just to confirm... do you mean this is your first maintenance appointment with Honda (vs Mazda)... or first ever maintenance appointment?

Are you planning other service beyond what's listed above, and before the maintenance minder indicates (e.g. first oil change)? For higher-mileage drivers, the oil life indicator on the maintenance minder will show 15% life remaining by ~10k miles (for higher annual mileage drivers) or ~1 year (for lower annual mileage drivers). Technically, no planned maintenance is required until indicated by the maintenance minder. But having said that, it's always a choice/option to have maintenance done earlier. (Just be sure the maintenance minder is updated/synchronized to match the completed service.)

In my experience so far, Honda dealers/service don't order parts in advance unless specific work is known and scheduled (i.e. replace left front wheel bearing). For general observations/questions like you have above, they'll want to see and diagnose themselves before planning any work. Honda dealers have a pretty robust parts network, whether on hand or within <24 hours at a nearby dealer.

Regarding your questions, yes - it's best to tell them in advance what you're bringing the car in for, but they use it more to block out an appropriate amount of appointment time rather than pre-planning parts (unless very specific repair request). Your service advisor should be able to provide time estimate and info on whether it can be completed in one visit. Everything other than 'normal maintenance' should be covered by the warranty. On cars with maintenance minder, Honda service uses that to determine what 'normal maintenance' is needed... so if you're triggering service earlier than maintenance schedule, you'll need to decide and request what you want. There's a thread on Oil Change Pricing that can provide info on what cost to expect for your first oil change.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,774 Posts
I also have two minor problems:
  • a little noise coming from the driver wheel at every tire rotation
  • the tiny triangular rear window seal came undone in the inside of the car.
  1. Based on my experience if you're hearing the sound once each rotation you might've something stuck on your tire.
  2. I'm not sure what triangular rear window seal you're referring to... :unsure:
1) What's the best way to do it: call them, and hopefully they will order the parts if needed (for the seal)?
2) Then they will be able to do everything in one appointment?
3) These two issues are obviously covered by the warranty?
4) What else is expected from the 1st maintenance, oil change and tire rotation?
5) Any idea of fee + duration?
  1. I used to schedule my appointment with the HondaLink app but it doesn't work (no dates available) for the Honda Everett dealership since the pandemic lockdown. I would call into the service department and schedule the appointment.
  2. It depends on if they have the part available and if you scheduled an appointment vs walk-in.
  3. If it's something wrong with the tire due to hazard damage most likely no. The stock oem tire as with all stock oem tires have a pretty useless warranty from the tire manufacture. The rear window seal I assume that will be covered by Honda's 3 year new car warranty.
  4. Yeah, oil change, and tire rotation.
  5. Should be $45+hazard waste removal fee+tax and tire rotation cost. I do my tire rotation at the Costco not far from the dealership since it includes balancing for $26. If you join Honda Everett's loyalty program(it's free) you can get the oil change for $40+$10 for the tire rotation. Honda Rewards Program at Honda Cars of Boston | Everett, MA Duration normally is 30 mins to an hour for just the oil change but I'm not sure what's it like currently with the pandemic and it depends on how busy they're on the day you visit.
  6. I would also check the condition of the cabin air filter and wiper blades. Replace them yourself if necessary since it has been a year.
Let them know your tire psi for front and back. Otherwise they will fill all of them at 32psi or 35psi in my experience. Mention the Insight's recommended oil quantity so they don't overfill.

Do a visual check of everything before driving off the dealership lot like under the hood for missing/loose caps, oil level with the dipstick, under the car for leaks, check if the skid plate is missing/loose, check tire valve stem caps are not missing/loose, or other possible damage. I haven't had a problem with the Honda Everett dealership with any of the above except missing/loose tire valve stem cap but I still check all of the above before driving off because dealerships pay entry level minimum wage staff to do maintenance services.

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
3. If it's something wrong with the tire due to hazard damage most likely no. The stock oem tire as with all stock oem tires have a pretty useless warranty from the tire manufacture. The rear window seal I assume that will be covered by Honda's 3 year new car warranty.
[...]
6. I would also check the condition of the cabin air filter and wiper blades. Replace them yourself if necessary since it has been a year.
If tires end up being the issue, there is a limited tire warranty but the dealer needs to deem it a defective tire rather than external cause. Link to the Continental tire warranty is HERE for Touring trim, and the Michelin tire warranty is HERE for LX/EX trim.

Some quick links to threads also mentioned:

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thank you guys for the great answers! (y)(y)(y)

Yes it would be my first maintenance appointment ever... I used to be a "fix it if it's broken" guy, but I'm trying to do the "right thing" now.

I will wait for the maintenance minder, probably will take a couple of months to get to my 1 year anniversary.

@andrew28 good call on the oil quantity and all the checks. My first car (Suzuki Esteem) would actually shake like crazy when overfilled with oil.

@insightfully yes it's that window, I think the seal came off on a hot day (100°F) parked in the sun :cry:

As for the tire noise, I don't think it's the tire itself but rather the brakes or a cable touching the wheel... not sure.

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
Yes it would be my first maintenance appointment ever... I used to be a "fix it if it's broken" guy, but I'm trying to do the "right thing" now.
[...]
As for the tire noise, I don't think it's the tire itself but rather the brakes or a cable touching the wheel... not sure.
Good call... if this car is a keeper, proactive maintenance wins every time. When I bought my car, the dealer (in theory) included a lifetime limited warranty, and the only stipulation for maintaining the coverage was that I perform maintenance as indicated by the Maintenance Minder. I take it as a good sign that Honda considers that 'sufficient' for continued coverage.

If you want, you can (kinda sorta) calculate how much longer it will be to 15% oil life - using your current % oil life and months since last oil change (or purchase).

Regarding the front end noise, is it anything like what's described in the following thread? There are some 'fixes' mentioned there, including @andrew28 who had brake rotors resurfaced. - Brakes squeak and steering wheel noises

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,774 Posts
Thank you guys for the great answers! (y)(y)(y)

I will wait for the maintenance minder, probably will take a couple of months to get to my 1 year anniversary.

@andrew28 good call on the oil quantity and all the checks. My first car (Suzuki Esteem) would actually shake like crazy when overfilled with oil.

@insightfully yes it's that window, I think the seal came off on a hot day (100°F) parked in the sun :cry:

Do not fill the engine oil above the upper mark. Overfilling the engine oil can result in leaks and engine damage.
The owner's manual warns against overfilling so I check the dipstick after each service. Go by the maintenance minder but remember to change the oil out at least once a year. Can you post a picture of the window seal?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,300 Posts
Significantly overfilling with oil will cause oil in sump to come into direct contact with the crank which will "frappe" the oil into foam. This reduces the oil's effectiveness and will greatly increase engine wear. Half a quart over won't be an issue, but several quarts will.

I used to be a "fix it when it breaks" guy myself. I've changed so much in terms of how I care for my Insight that I even remove all four tires every 5K mile and clean the wheels inside and out. Regular maintenance is carried out on time, and a full inspection is done monthly. I've always done my own work with the exception of engine internals. I'm fortunate enough to have the space and tools to do it.

Good luck with your first maintenance service. Prevention is key to a long, healthy life.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Could it also be loose lugnuts?
No, it sounds like if you were holding an iron wire to the wheel, but just for a fraction of the rotation. It's pretty faint, can only hear at low speed + EV. But it stays there with speed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Good call... if this car is a keeper, proactive maintenance wins every time. When I bought my car, the dealer (in theory) included a lifetime limited warranty, and the only stipulation for maintaining the coverage was that I perform maintenance as indicated by the Maintenance Minder. I take it as a good sign that Honda considers that 'sufficient' for continued coverage.

If you want, you can (kinda sorta) calculate how much longer it will be to 15% oil life - using your current % oil life and months since last oil change (or purchase).

Regarding the front end noise, is it anything like what's described in the following thread? There are some 'fixes' mentioned there, including @andrew28 who had brake rotors resurfaced. - Brakes squeak and steering wheel noises
I suppose it could be the brakes. But the noise has been there very early, probably I noticed before 1000 miles. But the car has also sat in a lot for a year so not impossible I guess.

·
Administrator
4,313 Posts
I suppose it could be the brakes. But the noise has been there very early, probably I noticed before 1000 miles. But the car has also sat in a lot for a year so not impossible I guess.
Worth getting checked out. andrew28 had <2k miles on car when all 4 brake rotors were resurfaced to remedy noise and grooves on rotors.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts