Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1st Oil Change

105K views 91 replies 32 participants last post by  jhs123 
#1 ·
Up until now I always changed my first oil early (1,500-3,000 miles). I read that Honda has "special" ingredients in the beginning oil that should be left in until the Maintenance Minder says to change it. By the way, I am not crazy about the MM...not used to that format and like to have more assurance that I'm maintaining at a timely manner - afraid if the system doesn't alert me properly. Anyway, I'd like some feedback on anyone's thoughts and experiences with oil changes and the 2019 Insight.

#2 ·
With most modern vehicles, you only need to change the oil once a year or around 10,000 miles. The every 3,000 miles thing is a way for dealerships and oil change places to make money. I'm pretty sure none of us current Insight owners has come close to needing their first oil change. The owner's manual gives a mileage amount, I think, but it also says change it when the MM says to. My car is at around 2500 miles and at 80% oil life.

#3 ·
I’ll probably get my oil change when the oil life gets to around 15%. And I will try to use Top Tier gas in it too. The manual says they ‘endorse’ it, which isn’t the same as recommending it. But good quality gas is a no brainer for me.

#4 ·
FWIW, old timers always change the oil in a new car after 500 - 3000 miles. Edmunds.com says:

When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles.

#6 ·
FWIW, old timers always change the oil in a new car after 500 - 3000 miles. [...] However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early.
I just spoke to one of the service techs (who has been with Honda for over 10 years) at the dealer where I got my Honda, and he shared some interesting information: [...]
- If your Insight hasn't gotten to 15% oil life before 10 to 12 months since your last oil change, change your oil. Never go past a year between oil changes.
Just did some math and estimate I'll be well under 12k mi/yr on the Insight... partly due to splitting drive time between cars, partly due to the length of my daily drive, and partly due to telecommuting. I'll end up changing my oil at maximum time interval (1 year) rather than maintenance minder oil life indicator.

I'm familiar with the maximum recommendation for time interval being based on oil oxidizing/degrading over time... but given the 'protective properties' quoted for factory oil, I'm wondering how much 'benefit' I lose by changing my oil at fewer miles than the 15% oil life indication. Thoughts? Opinions? Experience in this area?

#5 ·
Some of this may have already been discussed on this thread, but thought I would share it as well:

I just spoke to one of the service techs (who has been with Honda for over 10 years) at the dealer where I got my Honda, and he shared some interesting information:

- They use Honda Genuine 0-20 synthetic blend oil for their oil changes for the Insight.
- You can put Full synthetic in an engine that has or had synthetic blend without any issues.
- Your oil life reminder is an indicator of the life left in your oil, not the level of oil in your engine. You should make it a practice to check the dipstick on occasion to see if you are low on oil for any reason, and top it off yourself with a Honda approved oil (Oil & Filter FAQ for Honda Vehicles | Honda Maintenance)
- The oil life percentage indicator will decrease based on the type of driving you do. If your son drive it in sport mode all the time, it will likely decrease the life of the oil quicker than driving it in Eco mode.
- If your Insight hasn't gotten to 15% oil life before 10 to 12 months since your last oil change, change your oil. Never go past a year between oil changes.
- Oil companies that pay more for gasoline get to take the gas out of the top half of the tanker. Those that pay less (like the local Quicky-Mart) get the gas that is in the bottom half of the tanker, which means it is more likely to have contaminents in them.
- It isn't a good practice to let your car's gas get below 1/4 to 1/8 tank, as there is likely to be more "silt" from the bottom of your tank that gets mixed in with the gas that puts a strain on your fuel filter (or may make it through your fuel filter). This becomes more of an issue the older your car gets.

#11 · (Edited)
So here's my situation. I have put approximately 8100 miles on my Insight Touring and currently averaging 57 - 58 MPG. My "Oil Life" is at 40%. I purchased the Zepro 0-W20 oil which is Molybdenum Advanced Formula and a Honda OEM Replacement Oil Filter with new crush washer. Does anyone think this would be too early to replace the Oil and Filter and cause worse MPG if I replace it now before I go on a road trip next month ? I know the consensus has been to wait until the "Oil Life" shows 15% but if I'm replacing the original oil with the Zepro Advanced Moly Formula would it be a win / win for me ? Thanks for replies in advance.

#12 ·
How long is your road trip? Most of us have had our maintenance light come on at about 10K miles. 8K miles is a good chunk of time though. Changing it now wouldn't cause a problem. All an early change would do at this point is waste money. If it's a long road trip, you can do it now for piece of mind. FWIW, that last 15% equates to quite a few miles (1700). That, with the approximately 2000 miles you have before the 85% light comes on means you could probably drive cross country before hitting zero oil life.

Just remember to reset your maintenance counter if you do the oil change.

#14 ·
I am at 15% oil life left at 6000 miles, the oil was pretty dark so i changed it. I was told by the Honda dealership that 7500 miles is recommended most of the time for hybrids because they dont fully rely on the gas engine. I still get weird about waiting too long though so im going to stick to 5000 miles for my oil changes.

#15 ·
15% at 6K miles is on the low side of our experiences. Your ICE must have been running quite a bit during those miles. What was your average MPG over those miles? Most have gotten to 15% around the 10K mark.

#19 ·
I just did my first oil change at 3K miles, as that's what I'm in the habit of doing for all my new cars. I wish I had read this thread first, as I was not aware the factory oil was a special blend. I doubt the early oil change is going to be harmful per-se, but should I add some Liqui-moly to it just to be safe?

#20 ·
We believe this is the factory oil used by Honda. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072QXMJBS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

What about oil additives? American Honda recommends against the use of any oil additives other than those already blended in the stock oil. Such supplemental additives are unnecessary when using quality oils displaying the Starburst certification symbol. Additives cannot prolong the life of a used oil, because the oil molecules have been broken down. The use of oil additives will increase your cost of ownership, and can lead to engine damage.
Honda recommends against oil additives(Liqui-moly) other than those already blended in the oil like the Idemitsu Zepro linked above.

#23 ·
4,069 miles at 40% oil life right now (My Insight was manufactured in September of 2018 so the factory oil is 1 year old). I plan on doing the first oil change in October just before it starts to get really cold if I don't hit 15% during September.
I'm pretty sure my car was finished mid-October, since it was literally on the road in transit while I signed the purchase contract. The door label only shows month/year built.

The math geek in me says that for low-mileage annual drivers who'll have time-based oil changes like us, we can pinpoint the exact anniversary date the car rolled off the line based on when the oil life hits 15%. Dare we try/believe? :surprise:

#28 ·
This is all concerning because for some reason my brand new week-old '19 had a Pennzoil oil change sticker on the upper-left corner of my windshield from way back in '18 upon delivery to the dealer.. I'm confused as to why Honda would have performed an oil change, let alone put a oil-change sticker on a brand new car? Any ideas?

#29 ·
When did you buy the car, relative to the date of manufacture listed on inside sill of driver door? How many miles were on the car when you bought? Did the oil change sticker list any info (date/miles)?

Oil level fluid check is one of the items listed on the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) checklist. Perhaps they checked it and added a sticker to confirm the check (vs changing oil) Or perhaps they topped off fluid?

#39 ·
Welp, my Gen3 baby officially turned one today. :crying: :grin:

New oil, new filter, healthy battery, consistent tread. At one point, it was just my Insight next to 3 CR-Vs and 3 Pilots in the dealer service bay. It made my Insight look even better/unique compared to the available-everywhere SUVs next to it.

Service confirmed they only carried one 0W-20 Honda oil (full synthetic), and that they "shoot level" (laser rather than dipstick) to verify oil volume. BUT I still quoted them the 3.5 qt oil volume anyhow, since I had it handy. Not sure if this type of level check/tool is a Honda standard or just this dealer, but then again, it's also the first time I've ever asked asked how oil volume is verified. I hadn't thought about double-checking oil level until reading the "over fill" posts on this forum...

#41 · (Edited)
Interesting that you're still at 30% oil life. Since we're both low mileage drivers, I thought yours would trigger first since your build date was September (mine was October). However, you picked up your car in December later than I did (October), so maybe that explains the time-based oil life difference...?

I've been averaging 62 mpg, but temperatures are starting to drop. It will be hard for me to decouple how much upcoming mpg difference is due to 'natural' temperature difference (-25% hit?) and post-oil change fuel efficiency.
I got the 15% oil life alert along with the A1(tire rotation) at 5,192 miles on 11/7/19. So factory oil lasted me a little over 13 months from the manufacture date. Scheduled my oil change at Honda dealership for next Wednesday. $90 for the full synthetic oil :)eek:) but it should be good for another year if I keep up with my low mileage driving.

#42 ·
When you factor in the labor, that's not a bad price. Oil and filter alone cost about $35, and it's going to be a half hour of shop time. How much do they ding you for tire rotation, or was that included in the $90?

#46 ·
I was under the impression that the oil change codes alternated, between A and B. Although I'd hope that they'd swap the filter after the break in oil, especially if there was fine metal particles in the filter from "breaking in". I'll have to double check my service receipt, but for whatever reason I believe they swapped the filter too.

#49 ·
Maybe someone who has done a few oil changes already can fill us in on if they only get the B code? I would think changing the oil filter every oil change is better than leaving the oil filter in for every other oil change...

#51 ·
So i read a post on here somewhere where someone mentioned they got better mpg with this oil.. I’m thinking after my first initial complementary oil change, I’m going to switch to the Mobil 1.. I want to see if it improves my MPG..

Of course everything will remain the same, driving habits (I’ve sort of made it a habit to use the regen paddle as much as possible) , type of gas and gas station,and hyper-mile driving as much as possible.

So I had my first oil change at around 10k and now close to 13k, I used Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel economy and with same driving, I’m getting roughly .5 mpg better.. I was at around 48.7 pre I’ll change and now at around 49.2 mpg..

#56 · (Edited)
https://mobiloil.com/en/product-comparison?p1=%7babac7a7d-8c9a-47c4-8a2e-f59bfa5c0039%7d&p2=%7bff9f240f-361f-4797-b595-5e0948f84e7c%7d
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp#0W-20
Mobil 1 ESPX2 seems to be better than Advanced Fuel Economy according to the Mobil oil comparison chart. I think both get their improved fuel economy due to the low viscosity of 0w-20 but the ESPX2 also has better oil breakdown, protection against wear, oil consumption, protection against high temps, and turbo charger protection.

Edit: Guess you can't buy this oil here in the US. It's only for Europe... Not even sure why it came up as an option when I plugged in the Insight's info on the mobil website.

#61 ·
There are various reports from forum members in earlier posts of the thread that share when the 15% oil life came on.

Generally, for 'higher mileage' drivers in 'normal' driving conditions, the 15% oil life indicator happens around 10-12k miles. For 'lower mileage' drivers, the 15% oil life indicator seems to come on ~1 year from last oil change (or factory fill if newly produced).

It sounds like your driving is in the second camp, so you received a time-based (vs mileage based) reminder. I saw from prior posts that you bought the car in Dec 2018, so it fits that the maintenance minder is prompting you for oil change 1 year later.

Is the production date of your car also Dec 2018, or did the dealer check/change the oil before you picked the car up in Dec 2018?

#62 · (Edited)
Just short of my first year, at a mileage of 3,600, I got my final dash warning. My Insight has seen almost entirely in-city use but with occasional higher speed stretches to approximate average car usage. So I was surprised at the 11,000 mile first oil change figure. I wonder what the average first oil change interval is for all Insight owners ?

Perhaps my dash warning was triggered by the one year without an oil change ?

P.S. I found a Honda dealer who did above named items for $65

#63 · (Edited)
My 15% oil life warning came on around 5100 miles (13 months from manufacture date or 11 months from purchase date). Oil change is recommended at least once a year. I think oil quality degrades faster in city driving than highway and it seems like you're a low mileage driver, too.

#66 ·

Make sure they fill it with 0w-20 oil at 3.5qt. Tire pressure should be front 35psi/rear 33(32 Touring) psi. Request a tire rotation if you haven't done so yet.

Michelin recommends rotating your tires every 6,000 to 8,000 miles (10,000 to 12,000 km).
Monthly inspection for tire wear is recommended. Your tires should be rotated at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 6,000 miles (10,000 km). This is true for all vehicles.

#75 ·
Thanks!
I'll take it in for service.
Yesterday I took my Insight in for its’ first oil change. Maintenance minder showed up on the display a couple of weeks ago saying “ Maintenance due soon” It was just shy of me having the car for one year with 3700 km (2300 miles ).I asked when taking it in how much oil they would put it in it and they were right on with the amount however they adjusted the tire pressure all wrong so this morning I will have to fix that

#78 ·
The timing was pretty accurate. Car was built in January 2019 and I drove it home March 21st 2019. Maintenance minder came on near the end of February 2020 but waited until this past week to take in as I drive it so little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.