Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts
Interesting that you're still at 30% oil life. Since we're both low mileage drivers, I thought yours would trigger first since your build date was September (mine was October). However, you picked up your car in December later than I did (October), so maybe that explains the time-based oil life difference...?

I've been averaging 62 mpg, but temperatures are starting to drop. It will be hard for me to decouple how much upcoming mpg difference is due to 'natural' temperature difference (-25% hit?) and post-oil change fuel efficiency.
I got the 15% oil life alert along with the A1(tire rotation) at 5,192 miles on 11/7/19. So factory oil lasted me a little over 13 months from the manufacture date. Scheduled my oil change at Honda dealership for next Wednesday. $90 for the full synthetic oil :)eek:) but it should be good for another year if I keep up with my low mileage driving.

I got the 15% oil life alert along with the A1(tire rotation) at 5,192 miles on 11/7/19. So factory oil lasted me a little over 13 months from the manufacture date. Scheduled my oil change at Honda dealership for next Wednesday. $90 for the full synthetic oil :)eek:) but it should be good for another year if I keep up with my low mileage driving.
When you factor in the labor, that's not a bad price. Oil and filter alone cost about $35, and it's going to be a half hour of shop time. How much do they ding you for tire rotation, or was that included in the $90?

When you factor in the labor, that's not a bad price. Oil and filter alone cost about $35, and it's going to be a half hour of shop time. How much do they ding you for tire rotation, or was that included in the $90?
$20 rotation and an additional $20 for balance at the dealership. I'm bringing my Insight to Costco for the rotation and balancing just like my previous cars. I'm familiar with the tire techs working there for many years and know they will do the job correctly.

It's $90 plus making sure they did the job right. :plain: Things to check like oil pan is secured, underfilling/overfilling oil, and the oil cap is back on before driving away. To be honest I'm not even sure if I'm going to get what I paid. I had a discussion with one of the service advisors and he doesn't realize there is a difference between 0w-20 semi synthetic or full synthetic. Keeps telling me 0w-20 = full synthetic.

https://www.powernationtv.com/post/...rotation-does-not-include-tightening-lug-nuts
^Read about this a few weeks ago. Avoid the dealership if you have options!

I'm surprised the car 'let' you go more than a year between oil changes. Maybe your dealer reset the oil life meter during pre-delivery checks, before you picked up?

Does your dealer offer different oil options? My dealer only offered one (full synthetic, Honda oil).

I'm surprised the car 'let' you go more than a year between oil changes. Maybe your dealer reset the oil life meter during pre-delivery checks, before you picked up?

Does your dealer offer different oil options? My dealer only offered one (full synthetic, Honda oil).
I'm pretty sure they didn't reset it because the A code only comes on once during the life of the car since it doesn't require a filter change. Other oil change reminders (should?) have a B code.
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...t=H&model=INSIGHT&year=2019&referer=ownerlink

Service advisor insist that they only offer 0w-20 as full synthetic at the $45 price. I scheduled my appointment through the Hondalink app which offers a Full Synthetic option for $90 at the same dealership. So I doubt the $45 price is for full synthetic and more likely synthetic blend. I'm just going to buy the Honda Full Synthetic bottles at the parts department and pay for labor if they can't get their story straight when I go Wednesday. https://owners.honda.com/parts-accessories/parts/about?s=honda-genuine-motor-oil#oilandfluid

I was under the impression that the oil change codes alternated, between A and B. Although I'd hope that they'd swap the filter after the break in oil, especially if there was fine metal particles in the filter from "breaking in". I'll have to double check my service receipt, but for whatever reason I believe they swapped the filter too.

I was under the impression that the oil change codes alternated, between A and B. Although I'd hope that they'd swap the filter after the break in oil, especially if there was fine metal particles in the filter from "breaking in". I'll have to double check my service receipt, but for whatever reason I believe they swapped the filter too.
Maybe someone who has done a few oil changes already can fill us in on if they only get the B code? I would think changing the oil filter every oil change is better than leaving the oil filter in for every other oil change...

Maybe someone who has done a few oil changes already can fill us in on if they only get the B code? I would think changing the oil filter every oil change is better than leaving the oil filter in for every other oil change...
It just makes little sense to keep the oil filter in for one oil change, and then never again. I'm sure they are banking on the fact that most modern synthetic oils are good for 7-10k miles with a filter, and depending on duty cycle our ICE runs much less during that mileage than a traditional fuel powered vehicle.

So i read a post on here somewhere where someone mentioned they got better mpg with this oil.. I’m thinking after my first initial complementary oil change, I’m going to switch to the Mobil 1.. I want to see if it improves my MPG..

Of course everything will remain the same, driving habits (I’ve sort of made it a habit to use the regen paddle as much as possible) , type of gas and gas station,and hyper-mile driving as much as possible.

So I had my first oil change at around 10k and now close to 13k, I used Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel economy and with same driving, I’m getting roughly .5 mpg better.. I was at around 48.7 pre I’ll change and now at around 49.2 mpg..

I did my first oil change at 5000 miles myself with 60% oil life left.Also replaced oil filter.I know that it was not due yet but I feel better by having fresh synthetic Mobil1 oil.
Changing the oil in a Gen3 Insight at 5K miles is like changing the oil in a normal ICE car at 3K miles. Running full synthetic in an normal car would dictate an oil change at about 7.5K miles. You lost the benefits of the break-in oil along with a little over 50% useful oil life. There will likely be no adverse impact from changing early, but plan on 10K mile intervals from now on. Trust the maintenance minder moving forward.

Which Mobil1 did you go with? I am using the Advanced Fuel Economy https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-advanced-fuel-economy.

I did my first oil change at 5000 miles myself with 60% oil life left.Also replaced oil filter.I know that it was not due yet but I feel better by having fresh synthetic Mobil1 oil.
It if was right for you, it was right to do. :) Old school engine/driving philosophy (where the gas engine runs full time) is oil change at 3k miles. And if you still have the used oil, you could send it out for testing to get a read on it if desired - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/1440-post6.html

With the Insight's gas engine running less time, this mileage basis is extended. The % oil life is reflected as a number on the display, but represents a range (i.e. 60% life = 60 to 51% remaining). For 5k miles at 60% oil life display, the car would have hit the 15% oil life alert at 8.7k to 10.6k miles. Over the lifetime of the car, this difference will be rounding error.

Like hasarad, I'm interested in the which Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil you used. Some Honda dealerships offer it as a higher-cost synthetic oil change option. There are 'just' 17 full synthetics listed on the Mobil site. :) - https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/synthetic

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-comparison?p1=%7babac7a7d-8c9a-47c4-8a2e-f59bfa5c0039%7d&p2=%7bff9f240f-361f-4797-b595-5e0948f84e7c%7d
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp#0W-20
Mobil 1 ESPX2 seems to be better than Advanced Fuel Economy according to the Mobil oil comparison chart. I think both get their improved fuel economy due to the low viscosity of 0w-20 but the ESPX2 also has better oil breakdown, protection against wear, oil consumption, protection against high temps, and turbo charger protection.

Edit: Guess you can't buy this oil here in the US. It's only for Europe... Not even sure why it came up as an option when I plugged in the Insight's info on the mobil website.

10140 miles (10 months from build date)

41 - 60 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.