Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts
After 5800 miles on my 2019 the light came on to change the oil. Wondering what some of you owners got in the way of mileage before the system told you it was time for an oil change.
There are various reports from forum members in earlier posts of the thread that share when the 15% oil life came on.

Generally, for 'higher mileage' drivers in 'normal' driving conditions, the 15% oil life indicator happens around 10-12k miles. For 'lower mileage' drivers, the 15% oil life indicator seems to come on ~1 year from last oil change (or factory fill if newly produced).

It sounds like your driving is in the second camp, so you received a time-based (vs mileage based) reminder. I saw from prior posts that you bought the car in Dec 2018, so it fits that the maintenance minder is prompting you for oil change 1 year later.

Is the production date of your car also Dec 2018, or did the dealer check/change the oil before you picked the car up in Dec 2018?

Just short of my first year, at a mileage of 3,600, I got my final dash warning. My Insight has seen almost entirely in-city use but with occasional higher speed stretches to approximate average car usage. So I was surprised at the 11,000 mile first oil change figure. I wonder what the average first oil change interval is for all Insight owners ?

Perhaps my dash warning was triggered by the one year without an oil change ?

P.S. I found a Honda dealer who did above named items for $65

Just short of my first year, at a mileage of 3,600, I got my final dash warning. My Insight has seen almost entirely in-city use but with occasional higher speed stretches to approximate average car usage. So I was surprised at the 11,000 mile first oil change figure. I wonder what the average first oil change interval is for all Insight owners ?

My 15% oil life warning came on around 5100 miles (13 months from manufacture date or 11 months from purchase date). Oil change is recommended at least once a year. I think oil quality degrades faster in city driving than highway and it seems like you're a low mileage driver, too.

Yes, your experience is as mentioned in the 'first oil change' thread. Higher mileage drivers in 'normal' driving conditions are getting the oil change reminder (15% oil life remaining) at 10-12k miles. Lower mileage drivers are getting the reminder ~1 year from last oil change (or factory fill if newly produced).

How Maintenance Minder Works thread - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/1...ussion/3750-maintenance-minder-how-works.html

Got my first oil change maintenance notification today at around 10,120 miles after just short of 7 months. Taking it in this Saturday. Anything I need to do/say to them like "don't let mty A trip meter get reset"?

Make sure they fill it with 0w-20 oil at 3.5qt. Tire pressure should be front 35psi/rear 33(32 Touring) psi. Request a tire rotation if you haven't done so yet.

Michelin recommends rotating your tires every 6,000 to 8,000 miles (10,000 to 12,000 km).
Monthly inspection for tire wear is recommended. Your tires should be rotated at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 6,000 miles (10,000 km). This is true for all vehicles.

My 15% oil life warning just came on at 6107 miles - about 11 months after purchase. 75% city driving and being in SF lots of hills. Average mpg is 48-49 not too shabby.

I purchased the Insight on March 31, 2019 and I've been receiving coupons from the dealer where purchased for the Complimentary 1st Service Oil & Filter change every month since October. I guess they figured my maintenace light should have come on by then, but at the time I was only at 50%. Since it's at 15% now should I wait till it gets lower before changing to get the most of what you all say is that special additive Honda added for the initial break in?

They also sent a Tire Rotation Special Coupon for $29.88 just to rotate and inflate the tires - what a rip off!

My 15% oil life warning just came on at 6107 miles - about 11 months after purchase. 75% city driving and being in SF lots of hills. Average mpg is 48-49 not too shabby.

I purchased the Insight on March 31, 2019 and I've been receiving coupons from the dealer where purchased for the Complimentary 1st Service Oil & Filter change every month since October. I guess they figured my maintenace light should have come on by then, but at the time I was only at 50%. Since it's at 15% now should I wait till it gets lower before changing to get the most of what you all say is that special additive Honda added for the initial break in?

They also sent a Tire Rotation Special Coupon for $29.88 just to rotate and inflate the tires - what a rip off!
I would get some fresh new oil instead of waiting. The additives in the factory oil would've mostly broken down by now.

Make sure they fill it with 0w-20 oil at 3.5qt. Tire pressure should be front 35psi/rear 33(32 Touring) psi. Request a tire rotation if you haven't done so yet.

I've always had maintenence done at the dealer, so I presumably shouldn't need to specify the oil type and tire pressure. And rotation is part of their package deal.

15% oil life and/or 1 year time is the recommended threshold for oil change, so I'd suggest going for the oil change now. Like you, I have a 'daily hill' and hit 15% oil life in ~11 months; I think hills must register partially by the car's metrics as severe driving. I drive <12k miles per year, and got less out of the oil from a distance standpoint. The time-basis for oil change is oil degradation.

Got my first oil change maintenance notification today at around 10,120 miles after just short of 7 months. Taking it in this Saturday. Anything I need to do/say to them like "don't let mty A trip meter get reset"?
Ask what type of oil they use, what each costs and/or if you can choose what they use. @franko1927 mentioned his dealership offered 3 types of 0W-20 oil. I chose full-synthetic for my first oil change, which was complimentary from dealer.

Also ask if they'll change the oil filter, rotate tires (technically not listed/required for 'A' - but would be nice).

They'll typically already check the health/status of batteries and provide a report, but wouldn't hurt to confirm that they'll do that as well... since weak battery can cause issues reported elsewhere in forum.

And finally for good (overkill) measure, have limited warranty items covered less than 3 yrs/36k miles checked if desired. If you think there are any wheel balance/alignment issues, have those checked now since it's only covered for 1 yr/12k miles (pg 9 of warranty manual); air conditioner is covered for 2 yr/24k miles. Key fob and wiper warranty lapsed after first 6 months of ownership.

I've always had maintenence done at the dealer, so I presumably shouldn't need to specify the oil type and tire pressure. And rotation is part of their package deal.
May still want to double check, as they technically are only required to complete what the car lists. If A1 is listed, you're correct that oil change and tire rotation should be what you expect. Oil filter isn't listed to be changed unless B code appears.

I've always had maintenance done at the dealer, so I presumably shouldn't need to specify the oil type and tire pressure. And rotation is part of their package deal.
My dealership does 35psi or 32psi by default for all cars if you don't specify. Some dealerships still offer conventional oil so that's why I suggested mentioning 0w-20 oil. If your dealership is like mine which only offers 0w-20 then it wouldn't be necessary.

The amount of oil should be noted to the tech though. Lots of them don't work with the 3rd gen Insight frequently and will overfill.

Thanks!
I'll take it in for service.
Yesterday I took my Insight in for its’ first oil change. Maintenance minder showed up on the display a couple of weeks ago saying “ Maintenance due soon” It was just shy of me having the car for one year with 3700 km (2300 miles ).I asked when taking it in how much oil they would put it in it and they were right on with the amount however they adjusted the tire pressure all wrong so this morning I will have to fix that

Yesterday I took my Insight in for its’ first oil change. Maintenance minder showed up on the display a couple of weeks ago saying “ Maintenance due soon” It was just shy of me having the car for one year with 3700 km (2300 miles ).I asked when taking it in how much oil they would put it in it and they were right on with the amount however they adjusted the tire pressure all wrong so this morning I will have to fix that
Sounds like you're in the "low mileage club" along with andrew28 and myself... lots of city miles. :) Even with low mileage driving, the maintenance minder should get to 15% after 1 year. Was this timing true of your experience as well?

I asked when taking it in how much oil they would put it in it and they were right on with the amount however they adjusted the tire pressure all wrong so this morning I will have to fix that
Same with my dealership. They adjust them to 32psi or 35psi for all tires depending on the employee. I let them know to not adjust my tire pressure and that I can do it myself if needed.

The timing was pretty accurate. Car was built in January 2019 and I drove it home March 21st 2019. Maintenance minder came on near the end of February 2020 but waited until this past week to take in as I drive it so little.

Hello guys,

I'm a little over 5k miles so I'll do the first maintenance soon. It's also my first new car and also my first maintenance appointment ever so I have no idea how things go.

I also have two minor problems:
  • a little noise coming from the driver wheel at every tire rotation
  • the tiny triangular rear window seal came undone in the inside of the car.
My questions:

1) What's the best way to do it: call them, and hopefully they will order the parts if needed (for the seal)?
2) Then they will be able to do everything in one appointment?
3) These two issues are obviously covered by the warranty?
4) What else is expected from the 1st maintenance, oil change and tire rotation?
5) Any idea of fee + duration?

Bonus question for @andrew28, it will probably be at Honda Everett if you have any insider advice

Thank you!
I just had my first oil change on July 3rd. My maintenance reminder came on at 2,971 miles and the oil change was free as is the next one if it's done within the first year of ownership. They wanted to rotate my tires but I said no because of the low mileage, I'll get that done next oil change. The Honda dealership has always been good to me and a lot of my family drives a Honda. I have a problem with water getting into my taillight covers when it rains or when I wash the car and that'll be checked soon.

I'm at 7,500k, 2020 EX in Southern California, Oil says 30% still. I guess I'll wait for the 15% but it would be convenient to do it earlier while I'm still off work (furloughed), I have nothing but time on my hands, lol...Hey, is it true that the original oil in NEW Hondas have some sort of extra or additional oil additives that help the new engine, and thus shouldn't be changed sooner than 15%?...or it that just a rumor.🤨

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.