Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute about 45 miles each way to work. I also just had a weekend road trip from RI to MD. Towards end of trip I hit just over 2000 miles.
Here are some mental notes and observations I made. Some of these address some things I saw mentions in other posts, but am too lazy to track down and post in individually.

My favourite driver dash display is the one indicating range remaining, trip meters and instantaneous mpg.
I have set trip meter A to reset on fuel fillup, and keep trip B to track miles since last service. Trip A + range. Yet another quick math indicator to see how I am doing in terms of mileage.

I generally keep ACC at 67 or 72 mph on the interstate, 52 or 57 on back roads, depending on the particular road conditions and speed limits. Both 52 and 57 are in a sweet spot on those back roads in terms of mpg.
When cruising ACC is set for one block, in traffic to 3 blocks.

Tar snakes can trigger lane departure warnings. Surprise!

When set, Auto mode high beam feature can be temporarily turned off by just flicking the high beams or turning high beams off manually (can't recall which). Repeating that action will turn auto mode on again. No need to turn knob.
Standard beams are bright indeed. Got flashed many times - and I flash high beams back...

Double clicking paddle toggle to increase generator can result in either or both: a bit unexpected sound effects (particularly when in ACC mode), squirrelly reacting tires. Much better to click, then click again.

Yes, hills can, but not always, send the ICE into high rpm mode. Still getting used to engine high rpm being disconnected from what is apparently actually being applied to wheels. Possibly CVT is getting good workout providing lower gearing really smoothly without stepping. Thinking of it as shifting (unnecessarily) into 2nd gear when going at speed, makes it a bit more palatable, but still a bit unnerving and annoying.

Quite possible to get less than 40mpg under certain road conditions.
I-384 out of Hartford, CT towards Providence, RI until Rt 6. Not sure what the situation is, but on that road the car never had a chance to get into hybrid mode, always running on ICE only. Judging by the dashboard display, the instantaneous MPG indicated was just over the halfway mark, so I would guesstimate about 25-27mpg.
My tank average was dropping precipitously. Speed was set at either 66 or 71 mph. Pretty much like the rest of my trip, but did not have this phenomenon happen elsewhere.

I have an Pixel 3A, daughter has iPhone 7. Car Play works more smoothly than Android Auto, imo, but both work. The system never had trouble switching between the two. I do like that Android Auto displays the upcoming turn and distance on the driver dash display.

With LKAS mode The car tracks straight so well and agrees with my steering so much that I often get "Steering required" (or whatever the message is) even though I have hand on wheel. There are times, though where I wonder where the car thinks the lane is, because it goes to far inside or outside.
Also, it likes to pull towards off lane on off ramps.

I am glad I got the car seat covers. As you can see in my interior shot on my profile, having serious psoriasis patches on the elbows and scalp, the skin flakes like to stick to the standard Honda material (see console in the pic)(seat material in the 2011 CRV is better in that regard). The coverking seat covers make easy cleaning - just brush off - The tuxmats help in that regard as well.

That's it for now.

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
I commute about 45 miles each way to work. I also just had a weekend road trip from RI to MD. Towards end of trip I hit just over 2000 miles.
Here are some mental notes and observations I made. Some of these address some things I saw mentions in other posts, but am too lazy to track down and post in individually.

My favourite driver dash display is the one indicating range remaining, trip meters and instantaneous mpg.
I have set trip meter A to reset on fuel fillup, and keep trip B to track miles since last service. Trip A + range. Yet another quick math indicator to see how I am doing in terms of mileage.

I generally keep ACC at 67 or 72 mph on the interstate, 52 or 57 on back roads, depending on the particular road conditions and speed limits. Both 52 and 57 are in a sweet spot on those back roads in terms of mpg.
When cruising ACC is set for one block, in traffic to 3 blocks.

Tar snakes can trigger lane departure warnings. Surprise!

When set, Auto mode high beam feature can be temporarily turned off by just flicking the high beams or turning high beams off manually (can't recall which). Repeating that action will turn auto mode on again. No need to turn knob.
Standard beams are bright indeed. Got flashed many times - and I flash high beams back...

Double clicking paddle toggle to increase generator can result in either or both: a bit unexpected sound effects (particularly when in ACC mode), squirrelly reacting tires. Much better to click, then click again.

Yes, hills can, but not always, send the ICE into high rpm mode. Still getting used to engine high rpm being disconnected from what is apparently actually being applied to wheels. Possibly CVT is getting good workout providing lower gearing really smoothly without stepping. Thinking of it as shifting (unnecessarily) into 2nd gear when going at speed, makes it a bit more palatable, but still a bit unnerving and annoying.

Quite possible to get less than 40mpg under certain road conditions.
I-384 out of Hartford, CT towards Providence, RI until Rt 6. Not sure what the situation is, but on that road the car never had a chance to get into hybrid mode, always running on ICE only. Judging by the dashboard display, the instantaneous MPG indicated was just over the halfway mark, so I would guesstimate about 25-27mpg.
My tank average was dropping precipitously. Speed was set at either 66 or 71 mph. Pretty much like the rest of my trip, but did not have this phenomenon happen elsewhere.

I have an Pixel 3A, daughter has iPhone 7. Car Play works more smoothly than Android Auto, imo, but both work. The system never had trouble switching between the two. I do like that Android Auto displays the upcoming turn and distance on the driver dash display.

With LKAS mode The car tracks straight so well and agrees with my steering so much that I often get "Steering required" (or whatever the message is) even though I have hand on wheel. There are times, though where I wonder where the car thinks the lane is, because it goes to far inside or outside.
Also, it likes to pull towards off lane on off ramps.

I am glad I got the car seat covers. As you can see in my interior shot on my profile, having serious psoriasis patches on the elbows and scalp, the skin flakes like to stick to the standard Honda material (see console in the pic)(seat material in the 2011 CRV is better in that regard). The coverking seat covers make easy cleaning - just brush off - The tuxmats help in that regard as well.

That's it for now.
  • Didn't know tar snakes on the road can do that, thanks for mentioning. I usually drive with one hand on the steering wheel so need to be paying attention to roads with poorly drawn lines or when construction crews forgot to properly remove the previous line which can trigger the lane departure system.
  • I only do the double click on the re-gen paddle when moving under 40mph. Bad weather or anything above I pause between clicks due to the owners manual mentioning possible wheel slippage.
  • I own the same phones pixel 3a and iPhone 7. Been primarily using the the iPhone 7 but I like having the option to use both. The turn by turn arrows on the 2nd display next to the speedometer is pretty cool with Android Auto. Both CarPlay and Android Auto are getting new features plus redesign coming soon.
  • I'm the only person in my car majority of the time so I have been able to keep my car interior clean mostly by vacuuming 2 times a month at the car wash.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the car! :smile:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts