Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I use the built in voice detection via a short press on the talk button, my voice commands are almost always captured by the microphone and understood by the system. I can, for example, change from FM to Sirius XM via voice, or dial a phone number via voice, etc. No problems at all. :smile:

But now the problem: When I do the long press on the talk button to give a voice command to Android Auto, I find that very often my voice commands are not understood by the system. This problem seems to be worse when there is a lot of road noise, but can happen on occasion when the car is not moving, parked on a quiet residential street. Furthermore, if I say "OK Google" (I assume the phone microphone is picking this up), my voice commands are almost always recognized. In an experiment today, driving along at 55mph, I long-pressed the talk button and my voice command was not recognized, then a few seconds later "OK Google", and the exact same voice command was correctly recognized; then a few seconds later I long-pressed the talk button and the exact same voice command was again not recognized; and then a few seconds later one more time "OK Google", and the exact same voice command was correctly recognized. :sad:

So, anybody experience this problem? What is the solution? Or is the solution just to say "OK Google" from now on?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't know that there was a long press to the button. I thought that to use Android Auto, I simply spoke "OK Google". I was wondering why Honda made me use my phone's microphone. This is simply an excessively long story to say that as long as my car was quiet enough, my phone always understood me. I'll have to test the Car Mic now.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Maybe one thing to check/confirm is that the 'long press' is being executed as "press and hold" of the talk button during the whole time the Android Auto command is being spoken -?

"Press and hold the talk button" is described for Android Auto operation, while "press and release" activates standard voice recognition rather than Android Auto.

P.S. - I'm not an Android owner but saw this description in manual and wanted to pass on in case it helps. Hope someone with an Android phone can check the differences...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
When I use the built in voice detection via a short press on the talk button, my voice commands are almost always captured by the microphone and understood by the system. I can, for example, change from FM to Sirius XM via voice, or dial a phone number via voice, etc. No problems at all. :smile:

But now the problem: When I do the long press on the talk button to give a voice command to Android Auto, I find that very often my voice commands are not understood by the system. This problem seems to be worse when there is a lot of road noise, but can happen on occasion when the car is not moving, parked on a quiet residential street. Furthermore, if I say "OK Google" (I assume the phone microphone is picking this up), my voice commands are almost always recognized. In an experiment today, driving along at 55mph, I long-pressed the talk button and my voice command was not recognized, then a few seconds later "OK Google", and the exact same voice command was correctly recognized; then a few seconds later I long-pressed the talk button and the exact same voice command was again not recognized; and then a few seconds later one more time "OK Google", and the exact same voice command was correctly recognized. :sad:

So, anybody experience this problem? What is the solution? Or is the solution just to say "OK Google" from now on?
Do you have "Allow bluetooth requests with device locked" and "Allow wired headset requests with device locked" enabled on your phone's google voice assistance settings? Siri heard me fine when I was using Carplay so I'm going to give google assistant a try. Will post an update later today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have "Allow bluetooth requests with device locked" and "Allow wired headset requests with device locked" enabled on your phone's google voice assistance settings? Siri heard me fine when I was using Carplay so I'm going to give google assistant a try. Will post an update later today.

The first option was enabled, the second option was not enabled; so now it is enabled and the next time I drive somewhere (I'm not driving now :wink:) we'll see if it helps. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I had no issue using google assistant with the steering wheel "voice assist" button on my drive home. It heard my commands without needing to speak loudly. I'm pretty sure it's something software related on the phone if the Honda built in "voice assist" works fine with the Insight's mic. Hopefully that 2nd option will fix it for you. I also have smart lock enabled to trust "handsfreelink" to keep my phone unlocked when my phone detects the Insight's bluetooth signal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changing the setting in Google Assistant did not make a difference. A long press results in sporadic success at recognizing my voice commands, and also sporadic failure. I guess I will use "OK Google" and not the long press to activate Google Assistant from now on. Thanks, everyone, if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a behavior difference between your long press and ‘press and hold’ like insightfully described?
Before I can answer that question, I'd need an explanation of what the difference is between a "long press" and a "press and hold".

Whatever you call it, my method results in the voice command working about 50% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Changing the setting in Google Assistant did not make a difference. A long press results in sporadic success at recognizing my voice commands, and also sporadic failure. I guess I will use "OK Google" and not the long press to activate Google Assistant from now on. Thanks, everyone, if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
Which android smartphone do you have(some samsung owners reported issues with android auto after the recent Android Pie update)? Have you try updating to the latest version of the Google app and Android Auto app? I found a thread where multiple people have posted on the Android Auto forum about voice assistant not working with different vehicles/devices. https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/2485710?hl=en

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Samsung Galaxy S9, with Android 9 operating system. I will try updating the Google app. That thread you link to at support.google.com is interesting as it's not just me, and it's not just Samsung phones that are having this problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Before I can answer that question, I'd need an explanation of what the difference is between a "long press" and a "press and hold".

Whatever you call it, my method results in the voice command working about 50% of the time.
https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/6348334?hl=en&ref_topic=6347951

• If you're using the voice command button on your steering wheel, make sure to press and hold until you hear the beep. If you don't press it long enough you might exit Android Auto and have to restart it.
  • Start speaking after you hear Android Auto beep. The beep is confirmation that Android Auto is listening.
  • Try to minimize the noise around you when you speak.
Probably a dumb suggestion but are you holding it long enough to hear the beep?

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts

My definition of "Press and hold" = activate talk button and hold it for as long as you are speaking, not letting go of the talk button until your spoken words are completed.

If "long press" is being used instead, maybe the talk button is being released before speaking is complete, which might cause the 50% failure/success rate (i.e. some commands are short enough to be heard while talk button is pressed, but not after button is released).

I'm guessing Honda specifies the difference between the two so the car knows when your command is for Android Auto (press and hold) rather than for the car's voice-activated features (press and release).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My definition of "Press and hold" = activate talk button and hold it for as long as you are speaking, not letting go of the talk button until your spoken words are completed.

If "long press" is being used instead, maybe the talk button is being released before speaking is complete, which might cause the 50% failure/success rate (i.e. some commands are short enough to be heard while talk button is pressed, but not after button is released).

I'm guessing Honda specifies the difference between the two so the car knows when your command is for Android Auto (press and hold) rather than for the car's voice-activated features (press and release).

I am not holding down the Talk button while I am speaking, I am holding the Talk button down until I hear the beep, and roughly 50% of the time my voice command works, and the rest of the time my voice command is not recognized, it's like I didn't say anything.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I am not holding down the Talk button while I am speaking, I am holding the Talk button down until I hear the beep, and roughly 50% of the time my voice command works, and the rest of the time my voice command is not recognized, it's like I didn't say anything.
That's strange it works 50% of the time. I personally haven't seen the in car mic fail on me with either siri or google assistant on both of my phones(iPhone 7, Pixel 3a). I have only used it for basic commands like "read me the news", "what's the traffic like in...", "what time is the sunset", "call....", etc. Not sure if longer commands will give me an issue. Did updating to the latest version of your apps fix it for you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's strange it works 50% of the time. I personally haven't seen the in car mic fail on me with either siri or google assistant on both of my phones(iPhone 7, Pixel 3a). I have only used it for basic commands like "read me the news", "what's the traffic like in...", "what time is the sunset", "call....", etc. Not sure if longer commands will give me an issue. Did updating to the latest version of your apps fix it for you?
I have tried everything suggested in this thread, and the problem remains unfixed. So as I embark on a long road trip tomorrow, I will say "OK Google" which works perfectly and not bother with the long press of the talk button.

But it would be nice if things worked as designed.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I have tried everything suggested in this thread, and the problem remains unfixed. So as I embark on a long road trip tomorrow, I will say "OK Google" which works perfectly and not bother with the long press of the talk button.

If you could get another android smartphone or try your smartphone in another Android Auto supported vehicle. That might help nail down the possibilities of either it's a problem with the phone or vehicle. The problem might just magically solve itself down the road, too. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts

Since we're down to last ditch efforts... maybe also check that the dashboard air vents and side air vents are pointed away from the ceiling microphone... in case airflow is interfering with sound transmission to microphone -? The microphone is near the front map lights on the ceiling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts