Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I customarily always get the service manual with my vehicles. Just to clarify, this is not the Owners Manual available here. I am referring the the same manual the dealership mechanics use for the vehicle and is the 'bible' for the car.

My dealership told me they can't get a copy for a customer, they do not have a paper version, and only refer to the in-dealer service network computer manual for the service work they do on Insights.

Has anyone heard this too?
Has anyone seen the service manual for this car or have one they'd like to make available?

thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Phil. I haven't had any luck in trying to source a service manual online, even through the typical paid channels. Wonder if there are things about the hybrid system they don't want to disclose.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Helm Inc

In recent history, the only place I could get a service manual is Helm Inc. A few years ago they stopped selling the paper version. You had to subscribe. Fortunately they allow a daily subscription and you could print what you looked at. First thing I do is print the electrical diagrams. Then I go on to whatever I'm troubleshooting. As of today, they still do not have the 2019 Honda Insight service manual.

Honda Insight 2019

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other day at the Honda dealership the salesman and I went snooping around the service area and had a talk with the service manager. Apparently, Honda does not publish the manual in paper. The service manual is available only on the in-network PC's which the mechanics have access to. If the wrenches need it, they'll just print out a section of the service their doing.

Not surprising in this day and age. The days of finding the Clymer or Hines manuals in a lazy susan display are over.

I doubt Honda will be to quick to release this information to customers as they 1) want to hide their technology, and 2) don't really want the public tinkering with these cars. Just my guess here.

So how do we get a manual?
Assuming (for now) Honda never releases the serivice manual for the Insight, we could all agree, on this forum, to obtain a paper section from the dealership when we go in for a service. We then could start a service manual thread and 'piece' all these sections together. Not the best, but I'm not seeing a great option here other than a Honda employee providing it.

Phil

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm wondering if the shop manuals (mechanic repair manuals) will ever be created in hardcopy and available to the general public, like you and me?

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
I'm wondering if the shop manuals (mechanic repair manuals) will ever be created in hardcopy and available to the general public, like you and me?
It seems like Honda has moved to online-only version of the service/repair manuals, starting a few model years ago. A 'benefit' is that the information can be kept updated/current digitally; but the 'downside' is that regular owners need to pay/subscribe or visit the dealer.

Link to the online Honda "Service Express" repair information website - techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.aspx

·
Super Moderator
1,232 Posts
I had an exchange with the folks at Chilton. They will only do a manual for the Insight if there is enough demand. Based on sales figures and the likely percentage of owners willing-and-able to do their own repairs, I don't see it happening.

I refuse to pay for the online manual - we have YouTube and Google!

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
An idea I had (if I get motivated enough to do) is to subscribe for a day and download and archive what's available within that time frame for later use. One would have to pay for a manual anyhow, so I'd be willing to invest in a 1-day subscription if it nets equivalent info.

Also, with a Gen11 Civic Hybrid coming next model year, I'm hopeful that it sells in higher volume and stays close in design to the Gen3 Insight so that published information can transfer between models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts