Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

2019 Honda Insight Service (mechanics) Manual

29K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  milinduvinduranga367 
#1 ·
Hi,

I customarily always get the service manual with my vehicles. Just to clarify, this is not the Owners Manual available here. I am referring the the same manual the dealership mechanics use for the vehicle and is the 'bible' for the car.

My dealership told me they can't get a copy for a customer, they do not have a paper version, and only refer to the in-dealer service network computer manual for the service work they do on Insights.

Has anyone heard this too?
Has anyone seen the service manual for this car or have one they'd like to make available?

thanks,
Phil

#3 ·
Helm Inc

In recent history, the only place I could get a service manual is Helm Inc. A few years ago they stopped selling the paper version. You had to subscribe. Fortunately they allow a daily subscription and you could print what you looked at. First thing I do is print the electrical diagrams. Then I go on to whatever I'm troubleshooting. As of today, they still do not have the 2019 Honda Insight service manual.

Honda Insight 2019

#4 ·
The other day at the Honda dealership the salesman and I went snooping around the service area and had a talk with the service manager. Apparently, Honda does not publish the manual in paper. The service manual is available only on the in-network PC's which the mechanics have access to. If the wrenches need it, they'll just print out a section of the service their doing.

Not surprising in this day and age. The days of finding the Clymer or Hines manuals in a lazy susan display are over.

I doubt Honda will be to quick to release this information to customers as they 1) want to hide their technology, and 2) don't really want the public tinkering with these cars. Just my guess here.

So how do we get a manual?
Assuming (for now) Honda never releases the serivice manual for the Insight, we could all agree, on this forum, to obtain a paper section from the dealership when we go in for a service. We then could start a service manual thread and 'piece' all these sections together. Not the best, but I'm not seeing a great option here other than a Honda employee providing it.

Phil

#7 ·
I had an exchange with the folks at Chilton. They will only do a manual for the Insight if there is enough demand. Based on sales figures and the likely percentage of owners willing-and-able to do their own repairs, I don't see it happening.

I refuse to pay for the online manual - we have YouTube and Google!

Reactions: LowRider
#8 ·
An idea I had (if I get motivated enough to do) is to subscribe for a day and download and archive what's available within that time frame for later use. One would have to pay for a manual anyhow, so I'd be willing to invest in a 1-day subscription if it nets equivalent info.

Also, with a Gen11 Civic Hybrid coming next model year, I'm hopeful that it sells in higher volume and stays close in design to the Gen3 Insight so that published information can transfer between models.

#9 ·
About access to Service Express. We managed to get access and there is a lot of useful information of the car, but we never used this information during the repair. Although we prepared in advance and found all the information on the SRS system diagram, connectors, pin numbers, etc.
Glad to hear your problem is solved. Regarding access to Honda's online "Service Express" data - there was an 'idea' do download, archive, and gradually build an accessible version of the Insight Service Manual (e.g. snapshots, print to PDF, etc). From what you see via your access, would something like that be possible/feasible?

#10 ·
1. This is a base of various documents for repairs, maintenance, letters, changes, etc. There is everything). But different types of documents and they do not look like a whole repair manual (as previously issued).
2. There is a contest search. That is, you enter, for example, SRS and all documents containing "SRS" are selected from the database. You add a shock sensor to the line and the documents containing "SRS" and "shock sensor" remain. The principle is as follows.
3.Documents have links to related documents in the text.
4. Circuit diagrams are displayed in a separate section of the EWD. In diagrams and diagrams, there are highlights and item selections, and so on. You can also see where this block is physically located in the machine - a three-dimensional image is displayed - "as in an X-ray image" with the selected element highlighted.
5. A separate section on parts and assemblies with diagrams and prices.
6.Almost all documents can be saved in PDF or sent for printing (including a PDF file).

But it is much more convenient to work directly in the database than with PDF documents.
I saved some of the documents)))

I paid for access per day.
Some of the documents are not available - a window opens as for a dealer and you need a password and login.
But there are also mistakes, I found one and wrote it in support. The wrong color of the wires in the circuit compared to what is actually in the cable, just in time for the shock sensor. The diagram says that brown and white go to the left, and blue and light blue to the right. But in fact, the opposite is true. As you can see from the photo above, blue colors go to the left.

#12 ·
There is pretty much nothing on our Insight, but some information that might interest some of you. Also, if you own another car, well enjoy.
For grins, I looked up the Chilton info for the Accord and Civic (as semi-related models to the Insight, and Honda's more popular models). The earliest model year with repair and maintenance info for the Accord and Civic currently starts in 2016.

2016 was the first GenX Civic model, but 2018 was the first GenX Accord model... so doesn't seem related to timing for new generation model. But maybe the manuals are on a 4-5 year lag cycle, and similar information will come out for the 2019 Insight in 2023 (?). I'm willing to wait... :)

#13 ·
Manufacturer's maintenance manuals have been electronic-only for quite some time. Dealerships have access to these, of course, but otherwise, most general automotive shops have a subscription to something like Alldata, which is ok, but generally not as in-depth as the mfg's manuals. In the past, I've purchased DVDs which contained these MMs, though they were probably less than legal. Some of them had an entire virtual machine installation which was apparently required to make it even work. If Honda's is strictly web based and hosted on a server which they control, we might never get our hands on it unless someone manages to rip every chapter. I'm not condoning it! That said, I'd certainly love to see it!

#20 ·
Well, it's not like it's a secret thing or not meant for customers.....the literal first line on the webpage says, "Service Information System (SIS) is American Honda and Honda Canada's service repair information website for independent repair shops and vehicle owners."

Honda could have kept it a closed system to only the dealers, but that wouldn't be fair to the independent shops, so they created the web portal for paid public use.

When I was hooking up my under-dash lighting I wanted to still use the Honda harness, but also my own LEDs. So I purchased a day of the SIS to look at the electrical diagrams and see how the wiring worked. Sadly, the SIS doesn't contain information on the ports that the under-dash/armrest/door-sill lighting uses, so I had to base some of the information off of the fuse labels on the harness. The tee-off that goes to the back of the climate control panel was there though and that helped me determine the ILLUM- line by pin number.

I wish I could have spent more time looking around and downloading stuff, but I didn't want to pay for the longer subscriptions.

#24 ·
The wiring manuals are broken down into each trim. LX, EX, Touring, Canadian LX, Canadian EX, Canadian EX Nav, Canadian Touring, and Mexican Insight. I got the three American trims done. Will get to the others eventually. There is just so much information and that bouncy red ball is so easy to chase.

As for lack of information, it is there, just scattered. I can post the multiple pages on how paint dries if you want.

#26 ·
It is looking very likely that I am going to sell my Insight soon. If anyone wants copies of the manuals that I have downloaded, feel free to ask. I had them all neat and mostly organized, then accidentally wiped my flash drive the other day. So I have a bunch of unsorted stuff. They take up a bit of space. I might start sorting through it all again with my free time at work.

#39 ·
Hi everyone, sorry, I wasn't comfortable posting the old link publicly because it was hosted through my work, but I just moved the files to my personal Google Drive, so here is the new link. Feel free to share it. Files are uploading to Google Drive as I speak, so give it a few hours before you try to download. Honda Insight Service Manual - Google Drive