Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My mechanic was test driving my 2019 Insight and was rear ended by a hit skip driver..what should I be concerned about regarding damage estimate. The car has 63k miles. I know that sounds excessive but I’m an over the road courier.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Wow, what a bummer, especially for it to be during a maintenance visit. It looks like it was hit by a pretty tall truck/SUV.

Just curious, but since the mechanic was driving, will their insurance cover the damage - or does it fall under your insurance? Any assessment yet on how much the repair will cost?

The 'good' news is that there isn't much 'complicated' stuff back there (i.e. gas tank and HV battery are under rear seats), and the damaged parts should be replaceable. Some success stories on rear end repair are below:

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
Wow. Bummer. That's is some odd rear-end damage. What hit him?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like that telephone pole rear-ended it real good. (and at a bit of an angle)

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
This is the reason I have front and rear dashcams!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Unless there is a piece of the puzzle missing, the fault should lie with the insurance company of the person/vehicle that rear-ended the car. I believe, when we leave our car with a service shop, we are automatically giving the shop permission to test drive our car. About the only way the mechanic could be any at fault is if he decided to stop and quickly back up on the road. In this case, there would still be partial fault on the car that hit the Insight because drivers are always supposed to maintain a safe stopping distance from the car in front of them..

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Unless there is a piece of the puzzle missing, the fault should lie with the insurance company of the person/vehicle that rear-ended the car. I believe, when we leave our car with a service shop, we are automatically giving the shop permission to test drive our car. About the only way the mechanic could be any at fault is if he decided to stop and quickly back up on the road. In this case, there would still be partial fault on the car that hit the Insight because drivers are always supposed to maintain a safe stopping distance from the car in front of them..
So in the case of the claimed "hit and run" the person/vehicle that rear-ended the car is unknown/unidentified... does it end up falling under the owner's own collision coverage and impact insurance rate? Is an accident report required and/or does it help in this type of claim?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
This is the reason I have front and rear dashcams!
...plus theft as another reason for dash cams. It's kinda nutty that this owner could see how his own car was stolen. Guess the video transmitted wirelessly back from car (?). Maybe the only 'positive' is that the thief thinks highly of the Insight.

THE THEFT & JOYRIDE:

THE THIEF:

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
147 Posts
At the end of the day we will never know what truly happened, but when I look at that picture of the damage it screams to me having backed into a pole more than being rear-ended, but I could be wrong. To me it explains the convenience of claiming hit and run, because come on.....in the current world we live in do you think an employee working for a dealership is going to admit blame on accidentally damaging a customer's vehicle while test driving it? Perhaps I just have a low opinion of the human race lol.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So in the case of the claimed "hit and run" the person/vehicle that rear-ended the car is unknown/unidentified... does it end up falling under the owner's own collision coverage and impact insurance rate? Is an accident report required and/or does it help in this type of claim?
If the person responsible for the hit and run is an unknown motorist the claim would fall under the car owner's own insurance policy. An accident report is beneficial to the extent that it helps the insurance company in ruling out being able to go after another person or insurance company for reimbursement for the damages. In Virginia, the typical hit and run, unknown motorist claim would be covered under the owner's policy and there would be a $200 deductible. Most people have, at least, a regular $500 or more collision deductible, so there is some benefit to the owner. Also, because the owner was not responsible in any way for the damages, the claim should have little to no bearing on their policy. About the only way it would come to bear is if an individual has a poor driving record and is regularly filing hit and run claims. That is an absolute red flag to an insurance company and they would probably end up not renewing the policy.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
but when I look at that picture of the damage it screams to me having backed into a pole more than being rear-ended
Yeah, the more I look at that picture it does seem plausible the driver backed into something. The bottom black plastic bumper pointing inwards is suspicious... :unsure:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts