Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

2019 Insight vs 2018 Accord Hybrid. Deciding which one to buy.

17K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  mgldan 
#1 ·
I am deciding between the Insight and Accord Hybrid. I want to get the EX trim on either. Just a few questions for Insight owners to help me make my decision.

1. If money wasn't a problem, would you get the Accord Hybrid over insight despite the exterior looks of the Accord?
2. Will the pressurized gas tank be a problem in the future if it breaks down and needs replacement or fixing compared to a conventional non-pressurized tank?
3. Honda said the 12-volt battery is only offered at the dealership and they can only replace it for you, will this be a problem of any kind in the future?
4. Do you find the lack of lumbar support to be a problem during drives lasting more than an hour or two?
5. Does it feel too small at times?
6. Anything else you can tell me that you discovered while owning the Insight would be great.

Thank you

#2 ·
I’m debating on both as well. EX Accord you get moon roof, rear vents, among a few other things. More spacious. It’s about 4-5k more though. I would compare Touring Insight to Accord EX for much closer comparison in price and features. I personally wouldn’t worry about 12 volt battery. Do you live crazy far from a Honda dealership? How tall are you? I’m 6’2, athletic build and find Accord more comfortable, larger back seat, larger trunk, close in mpg. I do like Insight exterior a little more, but Accord doesn’t bother me near as bad as some others, people nitpick over everything. It’s a **** luxury hybrid sedan, not Lexus or Acura but nice for under 30k. People want luxury for cheap, lol.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm in the same quandary. I'm shopping too.

1- Accord for sure. As a longtime coupe driver I think the Accord styling is very good for a sedan. The front is a little much, but so are many brands out there. It's a nice step up from previous Accords. The Insight is a great blend of tech and style too. I like them both but I'm used to midsize cars.
2 - Don't know.
3- I've read the batteries should be available anywhere soon enough.
4- Depends on your back, my current car has lumbar support.
5- Insight front seat area def looks smaller to me, I like the Accord space.
As far as trim, I'm used to top trims. I like leather but you sure pay for it. I'm considering a cloth trim version and buying the leather from Honda parts. much cheaper, I'd only do the front area.

If I wasn't set on hybrids, certified gas 2018 Accords are at every dealer for near Insight prices and an added year of warranty. The Accord hybrids seem harder to find, as they are newer.

Both great cars. It will come down to used prices and the test drive when I get down to shopping. I'll probably go Insight but I like the Accord better without driving them. We'll see.. good luck.

#4 ·
Why would you go Insight when you just listed multiple reasons you like Accord more? Cost? Leather in front only? Each to their own. I’d rather save a bit more and get front and back or leave cloth. I’m about 3-4K off right now. That’s how much less I personally want to pay even though I have money.

#5 ·
I like the EX trims for both because of a good portion of stuff I want for the price. I wish I can afford the touring for any car. I am willing to spend a few extra grand for the Accord Hybrid EX if the car's powertrain will last me longer. I am planning to keep this vehicle until it completely breaks down. Based on the images, there are less plastic parts in the Accord Hybrid. I heard that can add longevity to the powertrain of a car and save on replacement or repair costs.

I live close to a Honda dealership. I am more concern about the 12-volt being discounted because of poor Insight sales. I heard the battery is specialized for this car and smaller than normal car batteries.

#8 ·
Oops. I meant to say 12-volt for the Insight being DISCONTINUED because of poor sales. Other than more plastic parts in the Insight engine bay, the Accord Hybrid seems to be the same, but Insight powertrain parts are just a smaller version of the Accord Hybrid.

#7 ·
1. If money wasn't a problem, would you get the Accord Hybrid over insight despite the exterior looks of the Accord?

4. Do you find the lack of lumbar support to be a problem during drives lasting more than an hour or two?

5. Does it feel too small at times?

Thank you
For #1 and #5, I think you have to know how big you want the car to be. Are you going to fold down the back seats a lot or haul more than 2 people? Then Accord makes more sense. If not, save yourself the money and get something that looks nicer in the Insight.

For #4, I’ve had my car only a week and am still playing with the driver's seat. Insight Touring has 8-way power adjustment, so I’ve been moving up the part that’s closer to my butt and adjusting the angle of the back seat to give myself lumbar support. Not entirely done playing with it yet. Might be able to get it just right with just the seat adjusters. I’ve also ordered a $24 lumbar support pillow from Amazon that I will play around with. The default setting was not very comfortable, but it’s improved significantly with tweaking.

#12 ·
The Insight is 1.5, Accord is 2.0. Accord gives you around 61 more hp and around 35 more torque I believe while returning close to same mileage. I’m comparing Accord EX vs. Insight Touring. As of last night with trading in Jeep I’m out of pocket around 4K for Accord and 3k Insight Touring. Both include window tint and wheel locks. I’m trying hard to either get another grand off bottom line or Honda Care warranty thrown in. What do you guys think?

#15 ·
A grand difference between the two out-of-pocket? I would get the Accord Hybrid, but that's me. Almost similar mileage, bigger, and 0-60mph slightly faster. Other than the unappealing rear-end style, which I can live with, I would pick the Accord Hybrid 9 out of 10 times. Go thru your daily and weekly routine and ask yourself if you need the larger vehicle, if not, get the Insight. If you are a bigger guy that loves your lumbar support and doesn't like to feel cramped in your car, then i don't know because it is still your choice... lol

#16 ·
No one is paying much more than what I’m being offered when you include tax break offset. After tax break, I’m really getting close to 27,500. You can buy brand new 2 door Jeep for not much more. Yes, mine has 2” level and bigger tires, wheels. I’ve looked on autotrader, etc..., plenty of competition here. Not to mention messing with obnoxious people trying to kick tires, waste my time which I highly value. So, I’ll be paying very little tax on new car if I trade.

#18 · (Edited)
Insight is cheaper. The only things that is making me hesitant about buying it are: lumbar, pressurized gas tank, and "specialized" 12-volt battery.

Mainly the last two because changing a car battery is easy, don't know how hard it would be to change the 12v battery on the Insight and if the specialized battery will be discontinued if Insight sales are poor. Also, the pressurized gas tank, I'm not sure if this is new to the car or hybrid market but I bet it'll be more expensive to fix if it breaks. I rather get the Accord Hybrid because it doesn't have a pressurized tank, plus it is capless, which is kind of a plus for me. I'm willing to sacrifice 3-6 mpg because I believe I'll make up for it in future repairs for the Insight.

Insight have some newer technology compared to the Accord, and like the old saying goes, "I rather have the last day of the old technology than the first day of the new technology," because it's already been proven.

#30 ·
Wife has ‘13 Prius, no brake issue, no brake work at all. The rear drum brake stuff is silly bs. Hybrids like Prius, brakes are good for looong time. Not sure where you are hearing about newer Prius’s not being as good, they are solid as ****. I’ve contemplated getting a black one with tint, decent light wheels and rocking it and not giving a **** what anyone thinks. Is it my favorite design? No, but with true EPA mileage unlike Honda from what I’ve been reading along with bad ass reliability it’s not completely out of my wheelhouse.

#31 ·
We had been considering the Prius until we looked at the crash reports. IIHS and NHTSA. Insight top rated; Prius has some issues.

Would rather drive the bigger car, the Insight. OTOH, the Prius does have real blind spot monitors and rear cross traffic alert, so there is that. Most professional reviews and most user reviews around here are finding that the Insight *exceeds* EPA ratings!

#32 ·
J. Bond,

Good points you brought up. There are - in fact - a couple of notable videos with respective commenters on YouTube who somehow are leveling the Insight because it is only getting supposedly in the "30s-40s" mpg during testing or on first tank of gas. And these complaints are weeks ago - before the cold weather has settled through much of the country. As one who is regularly hitting mid-high 50s and driving a bit like "grandpa", I think that these people are not driving the car like a relatively conservative driver. Or they are driving up lots of hills...

Even if they are driving 65-70 on highways with a smattering of SPORT mode use, I don't see why 50 mpg would have been so hard to get (in late summer/ start of autumn)?

#33 ·
I agree with you 100%, at least from my test drive and all that I've read. There is one notorious video review that panned the Insight for its "low" mpg, but many of the commenters on the video made similar points to yours! (And, to mine about other reviewers exceeding EPA estimates and reaching very different conclusions.)

By the way, which trim do you have? What extras did you get? Were you able to get much of a discount on your buy?

#34 ·
J.Bond,

I have an Insight EX and can be tracked on fuelly.com as AESTHETICALLY INSIGHTFUL. I got several extras with the car: all season floor mats, trunk mats, mud flaps, door edge guards, and the metallic bumper guard with the "Insight" name engraved. I like all the extras.

As per your question about price, I totally did not get any discount but I was in a terrible situation in July. I was on a "clock" because I had just returned my leased Subaru (with the tires and brakes very worn) and was borrowing a car. In addition, there was literally ONE DEALER in all of North Jersey who had an EX gray with black interior. I did not want the mocha interior, which was available. There were gray Tourings but that's a totally different trim. So, I paid over $26,000 OTD but knew that I would earn that back over the years with good gas mileage.

#35 ·
Considering all the extras you got along with the fact you bought it the first month it was available, 26K OTD wasn't a bad deal. I got my EX for 25K OTD with no extras. As far as MPG goes, we both live in hilly NNJ, and we're killing the EPA numbers. It all works out to how one drives the car. I don't drive like grandpa, but I do pay attention to conditions and inputs. With a little thought, a high 50s average should be attainable.

#36 ·
Hoboken, much appreciate the info! You have the very car, trim and colors, we're considering! I hear you on the timing of the buy. At a certain point, one needs a new car — plus, a thousand here or there really doesn't amount to that much spread over a long period of ownership and with the gas savings.

Hasarad, I agree with you. H's OTD price is excellent, especially given early buy and accessories. You all are doing well, especially for NJ hilly driving with your high MPG!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.