Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. Just want to say I bought a new 2019 Insight 3 weeks ago. I literally couldn't be happier with it if I tried. I have not bought a "new" vehicle in 20 years and swore I never would again but I bought this and have had ZERO regrets. I absolutely love it. I've averaged 47.8mpg so far but it has been quite cold and in fact I bought it during a snow storm in Chicago. Car has 1k miles on it and I have obsessed with keeping it perfect since day 1 including having it ceramic coated inside and out and it's been kept spotless and garaged since purchased......this is where my problem lies......

So, yesterday I'm laying in bed and hear a huge smash outside and my kids come downstairs and ask what happened and I ask the same to them. When we both realize it wasn't from either of us I get up and walk outside and see a Nissan rouge parked in my driveway with white paint all over it's bumper and my heart sinks. Look to see my garage is smashed in and my heart sinks further when I realize my brand new insight is parked inside the garage. Turns out the driver was an Amazon delivery driver. He apparently thought his car was in park when dropping off a package of silverware I ordered and it was still in drive. He jumped back in the car and tried to slam on the brakes to put the car in park but when he did he accidentally hit the accelerator this slamming into the garage and the car inside. It actually slid my insight about 3 or 4 feet and into the wall in front of it damaging the front as well.

The good news is, I suppose, is that Amazon has been amazing in this whole process. Looks like I should get a check already today for the garage repair which is a pretty darn fast turn around if you ask me. Thank God because when his personal insurance called the driver to get his side of the story he apparently hung up on them saying he knew nothing about the accident, which his own insurance company said was pretty funny since he was the one who initiated the claim with them online.

I don't fear that things won't get repaired but I'm very sad that I now have to own a car that won't ever be the same. I purchased my daughter a used mustang for her birthday this year and of course the actual day after I gave it to her someone backed into the side of her while she was in a drive through line. I took that to the highest rated body shop in my area and it the paint definitely doesn't match but it's something most folks wouldn't notice.

My insight is white pearl which as you probably know is loaded with metallic and white is a very hard color to match. That and the fact that the rear bumper structural frame is actually severely bent and now this car will have an accident on it's Carfax from here on out which I think sucks. I'll have no way of knowing exactly how many coats of paint are applied, how much clear is applied and since the whole vehicle won't be painted it surely won't match in years to come since the new paint will have different chemical properties that the factory paint. Just so disappointed 馃様

I plan to post this on a general Honda enthusiasts forum as well for ideas on where to go from here but any advice from anyone would be super appreciated as to how I should proceed. Car can't be moved told garage is fixed because it can't get out so I have some time. Any and all advice is appreciated. Below are some photos of the damage. Lmk if they don't show and I will upload them in a different way.

Thanks for listening!

Attachments

Registered
That's awful.

2 things to consider. Bumpers don't normally match the car perfectly. Secondly, ask the body shop to do a spray out for you, and choose the card that matches the closest. Take the bumper and the spray out, outside, and examine it from several angles. (Due to the pearl and metallic, flop is important).

Also make his insurance company pay for the ceramic coating. They might bitch about it, because you may not have additional coverage for it, but it's not your insurance company completing the claim... And it should be repaired to "pre-damage" condition.

Registered
Yikes. I know the pain. Mine has already been in the body shop twice. Neither was our fault. One was a hit and run and the other a teenager not paying attention. Oh, and mines white too. It has turned out really well both times . I鈥檇 challenge anyone to tell what was repaired. I didn鈥檛 do any pre checking of the color either time and it looks perfect to me. I have a couple original parts that don鈥檛 match a well as new paint. My repairs included a front bumper cover, two fenders, a door repair, hood paint and a headlight. Lots of paint blending on some adjacent panels to make sure of the match. Since you had some front end damage one thing to ask about is making sure the front radar is correctly aligned. I鈥檝e heard it鈥檚 a real pain to do. So a body shop might be tempted to skip it.

Registered
One thing I forgot. Remember when dealing with the insurance company that you can take it anywhere you want for the repair. Your Honda dealer can tell you who they use and that may be a good choice. One positive is that there are virtually no non-OEM parts available, so it鈥檒l all be the real deal.

Super Moderator
Good morning all. Just want to say I bought a new 2019 Insight 3 weeks ago. I literally couldn't be happier with it if I tried. I have not bought a "new" vehicle in 20 years and swore I never would again but I bought this and have had ZERO regrets. I absolutely love it. I've averaged 47.8mpg so far but it has been quite cold and in fact I bought it during a snow storm in Chicago. Car has 1k miles on it and I have obsessed with keeping it perfect since day 1 including having it ceramic coated inside and out and it's been kept spotless and garaged since purchased......this is where my problem lies......

So, yesterday I'm laying in bed and hear a huge smash outside and my kids come downstairs and ask what happened and I ask the same to them. When we both realize it wasn't from either of us I get up and walk outside and see a Nissan rouge parked in my driveway with white paint all over it's bumper and my heart sinks. Look to see my garage is smashed in and my heart sinks further when I realize my brand new insight is parked inside the garage. Turns out the driver was an Amazon delivery driver. He apparently thought his car was in park when dropping off a package of silverware I ordered and it was still in drive. He jumped back in the car and tried to slam on the brakes to put the car in park but when he did he accidentally hit the accelerator this slamming into the garage and the car inside. It actually slid my insight about 3 or 4 feet and into the wall in front of it damaging the front as well.

The good news is, I suppose, is that Amazon has been amazing in this whole process. Looks like I should get a check already today for the garage repair which is a pretty darn fast turn around if you ask me. Thank God because when his personal insurance called the driver to get his side of the story he apparently hung up on them saying he knew nothing about the accident, which his own insurance company said was pretty funny since he was the one who initiated the claim with them online.

I don't fear that things won't get repaired but I'm very sad that I now have to own a car that won't ever be the same. I purchased my daughter a used mustang for her birthday this year and of course the actual day after I gave it to her someone backed into the side of her while she was in a drive through line. I took that to the highest rated body shop in my area and it the paint definitely doesn't match but it's something most folks wouldn't notice.

My insight is white pearl which as you probably know is loaded with metallic and white is a very hard color to match. That and the fact that the rear bumper structural frame is actually severely bent and now this car will have an accident on it's Carfax from here on out which I think sucks. I'll have no way of knowing exactly how many coats of paint are applied, how much clear is applied and since the whole vehicle won't be painted it surely won't match in years to come since the new paint will have different chemical properties that the factory paint. Just so disappointed 馃様

I plan to post this on a general Honda enthusiasts forum as well for ideas on where to go from here but any advice from anyone would be super appreciated as to how I should proceed. Car can't be moved told garage is fixed because it can't get out so I have some time. Any and all advice is appreciated. Below are some photos of the damage. Lmk if they don't show and I will upload them in a different way.

Thanks for listening!
Illinois is a diminished value state, which means you may be entitled to the diminished value of your vehicle after an auto accident. The statute of limitation on diminished value claims in Illinois is 5 years, and Illinois does have uninsured motorist coverage for diminished value.
https://autodamageclaim.com/diminished-value-claim/diminished-value-in-illinois

Use a Honda Certified Body Shop if you don't already have a preferred body shop to bring the car to for repairs. I have used only manufacture certified body shops with my previous cars. The car always came back in better condition than before the accident.
https://owners.honda.com/collision/about/?section=ProFirstBodyShop#bodyshop
https://owners.honda.com/collision/profirstbodyshop/

I hope the above information helps and you can get your Insight back to like new again soon. :smile:

Registered
Sorry to hear about the mishap. I agree with Wifey'sInsight where you won't need to worry too much about the paint matching. Both Front and Rear Bumpers are painted separately from the rest of the car at the factory so there will always be a slight difference due to the direction the metallic flakes were sprayed and how light is reflected. Step back and look at your car. You'll see a slight color variation between the bumper covers and the rest of the car. AND if you look at all the other cars on the road you'll notice the same thing. The only vehicles I can't tell are the Tesla's - perhaps they spray their cars with the bumper covers on.

Usually on body panel repairs the painter will overspray the adjacent panels to blend the paint color so the repair wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. If the exterior damage was just the bumper covers they will be painted separately and a blend with the rest of the panels will not be necessary.

Factories use robotic sprayers to paint cars, bumper covers and parts and as such they will all come out exactly the same.

If the body shop were to get a non painted cover and paint it themselves, it'll probably match, but if you want an exact match to what you have now I believe Honda does stock pre-painted bumper covers in the Orchid White color. Perhaps you can request to have those replacement parts vs the shop having to paint one. The shop may elect to paint it themselves as they'll make more money on materials and labor vs just getting a pre-painted cover from Honda and installing it.

As for the damage you pointed out in your 4th photo, not only is it hidden by the trunk lid, but once repaired and painted I doubt you will even notice a color difference. All that said, I'm sure once you get the car back from the shop it'll look like brand new and only you will know and that's the most unfortunate part. Good Luck and let us know how it comes out.

Registered
:crying:

So sorry to hear about your baby getting damaged by one of those FUGLY SUV's. That guy must have been on drugs.

If it were my white (good choice BTW) Insight, I'd fix her up and keep her. I've grown very attached to her. I couldn't abandon her now. Yes, I know it's an inanimate object, but the love many of us have for this car is a bond that can't be broken.

Good luck. I'm sure they can make her "new again". :wink:

Phil

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the replies!!! I'm so sorry I thought no one was responding because my Tapatalk won't let me log in here and i have to do it direct. Glad to hear about the Honda certified body shops!! I did pick out one in Schaumburg Illinois which is somewhat far from me but imo well worth it. The adjuster wasn't supposed to offer any recommendations but when I told him where I planned to go based in dealer recommendation he said if it were his brand new car there would be no other place he would go. One question I had was about Illinois being a diminishing value state. Not sure what that means? Guess I can Google it. And yeah, I love this car. Like ridiculous style. Haven't been this attached in some time to a vehicle and I am a die hard muscle car/mustang/Camaro/Vette kinda guy. So to say this thing is special is an understatement of the biggest proportion. Only thing I hate is the accident record on carfax. That stinks. I mean I'm sure I'll keep it for a long time but it still sucks cuz I'm never gonna be made whole because of that.

Update too, Amazon already cut me a check for the garage and got me a rental 2 days after which i feel is pretty awesome considering they did so without even talking to their driver as he isn't returning calls. Furthermore they did this all based on my word as the police report isn't yet "ready" (5 days processing time in my town) and they did it based on my estimate. They didn't even send their own. Said I can just pick who I want. And they already did agree to the ceramic.

Also I will definitely ask about the pre painted bumper. So comforting to know people have been through this and it worked out ok.

Super Moderator
"Diminished value" law means that state allows you to make an insurance claims to recover the difference between pre-damaged and post-repair condition. You may want to inquire with your insurance company on whether this is already included/covered for you. If not, it is your right to take the other party to court for the difference. In the end, it should be what makes you whole for the very reason you stated re: accident record on CarFax and resale impact.

Super Moderator
Thank you everyone for the replies!!! I'm so sorry I thought no one was responding because my Tapatalk won't let me log in here and i have to do it direct. Glad to hear about the Honda certified body shops!! I did pick out one in Schaumburg Illinois which is somewhat far from me but imo well worth it. The adjuster wasn't supposed to offer any recommendations but when I told him where I planned to go based in dealer recommendation he said if it were his brand new car there would be no other place he would go. One question I had was about Illinois being a diminishing value state. Not sure what that means? Guess I can Google it. And yeah, I love this car. Like ridiculous style. Haven't been this attached in some time to a vehicle and I am a die hard muscle car/mustang/Camaro/Vette kinda guy. So to say this thing is special is an understatement of the biggest proportion. Only thing I hate is the accident record on carfax. That stinks. I mean I'm sure I'll keep it for a long time but it still sucks cuz I'm never gonna be made whole because of that.

Update too, Amazon already cut me a check for the garage and got me a rental 2 days after which i feel is pretty awesome considering they did so without even talking to their driver as he isn't returning calls. Furthermore they did this all based on my word as the police report isn't yet "ready" (5 days processing time in my town) and they did it based on my estimate. They didn't even send their own. Said I can just pick who I want. And they already did agree to the ceramic.

Also I will definitely ask about the pre painted bumper. So comforting to know people have been through this and it worked out ok.
I wouldn't worry about the accident record. Sometimes it doesn't even show up. I had been rear ended a couple of times(2-3) in my 09 Civic. When I sold it to carmax, they asked me if it had been in any accidents, I answered honestly with a yes. So when they came back with an offer, I was surprised that they told me they didn't find any accident records, and gave me an offer as if no accident had happened. The guy told me carfax isn't perfect and they won't ding me if no accidents show up. More reason to buy new instead of used vehicles for me.

Edit: I think carmax use autocheck not carfax. Not sure if any accidents were reported on my carfax but you would think they use multiple companies before buying a used car...

Registered
Do keep us posted on how the garage and car repair go.

Feel your pain. Gosh, what a mess! Especially that it happened to you in such a major way -- and after happening to your daughter's new used Mustang.

In any event, I just wanted to thank you for your detailed story. Here I had been fretting over an imperceptible, tiny, teeny nick caused by someone in a parking lot -- they were in a Jeep, had lots of room to park, but no, had to park right next to me (2' away) and, while they slowly opened their door, they still managed to bang our new Insight.

No damage was visible; later I felt and spotted a itsy-bitsy slight nick, barely visible. That was troubling as the first nicks to a brand new car are, and I would have remained upset until I came here and read your story. My word, it truly put things in perspective. There's no point in being concerned over something so marginal (I couldn't even find the nick today) when you went through an actual, heart-wrenching disaster!

So, thank you for posting your story; it has helped others in ways you probably didn't anticipate.

I hope that everything works out for you well and that you're back on the road soon and enjoying your Insight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone and I appreciate the info about the diminished value law. I will keep everyone updated about the repairs too.

Registered
Being repaired at a Honda Facility, I'm sure they know this. But I'd call and make sure they don't "bake" the car above 150*F. There is a sticker on the inside of the drivers doorjamb that explicitly states that all repair facilities must not "bake" the car at a higher than 150*F temperature to not damage the batteries. Depending on where you are located, typical body shop's bake the cars at 170*F+

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Being repaired at a Honda Facility, I'm sure they know this. But I'd call and make sure they don't "bake" the car above 150*F. There is a sticker on the inside of the drivers doorjamb that explicitly states that all repair facilities must not "bake" the car at a higher than 150*F temperature to not damage the batteries. Depending on where you are located, typical body shop's bake the cars at 170*F+

Whoa, I definitely would have forgotten that! I remember seeing that on the panel but i definitely didn't remind them of it when I dropped it off. And being that the car is no longer screaming "hybrid" with the new gen 3 I'm glad you brought this up. The body shop actually told me about the diminished value issue and recommend someone who charges very little and out of the proceeds to help collect it. Other thing I loved about this place is that they are not affiliated with any insurance companies and they make a large point to advertise it. They're also Maserati, Acura, Lexus, Toyota and other certified so that's pretty cool. Owner spoke with me for 30 minutes explaining exactly what they would do and toured me around all 3 buildings. Glad I used the Honda website to find them.

Super Moderator
Whoa, I definitely would have forgotten that! I remember seeing that on the panel but i definitely didn't remind them of it when I dropped it off. And being that the car is no longer screaming "hybrid" with the new gen 3 I'm glad you brought this up. The body shop actually told me about the diminished value issue and recommend someone who charges very little and out of the proceeds to help collect it. Other thing I loved about this place is that they are not affiliated with any insurance companies and they make a large point to advertise it. They're also Maserati, Acura, Lexus, Toyota and other certified so that's pretty cool. Owner spoke with me for 30 minutes explaining exactly what they would do and toured me around all 3 buildings. Glad I used the Honda website to find them.
The one I brought my previous Honda vehicles to are certified by Tesla(only one in Boston), Land Rover, Jaguar, Mini, BMW, MercedesBenz, Acura, and Honda. They have my rental ready(enterprise onsite) when I drop off, deals with insurance for me, gets the job done usually within a week or 2, have my car washed/vacuumed/glass cleaned by the time I drop off the rental, and lifetime warranty on metal & paint work.

These are the parts made by the manufacture of your car for your car. OEM are the only acceptable body parts a repair shop can use in order to preserve your factory warranty, protect your safety and assure repairs to pre-accident condition.

At Today鈥檚 Collision Repair Centers we will try our best to not use any 鈥渁ftermarket鈥 or 鈥渜uality replacement鈥 sheet metal, lights or bumpers in the repair of your vehicle. We will always request O.E.M. (original equipment parts) for the repairs of your vehicle. From time to time, our customers who are not going through insurance companies, but rather paying on their own, chose to use these parts as they are less expensive. https://todayscollision.com/forms-faqs/#toggle-id-24
Also my certified shop will use oem parts only(The only exception to this was if you're paying out of pocket with no insurance) and have fought on my behalf to have insurance pay for them. I have done business with them for more than 10 years and recommend them to anyone in the Boston area(link in quote above).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts